Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #136
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Thanks for your input, gents.

Saw this on a Canadian board. What do ya'all think?

"-2 RockChuckers, great shape, bushings tight. Typical RCBS quality....last forever. One is a RCII, with a primer catcher.
$125 for the plain RC
$150 for the RCII"

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #137
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Thanks for your input, gents.

Saw this on a Canadian board. What do ya'all think?

"-2 RockChuckers, great shape, bushings tight. Typical RCBS quality....last forever. One is a RCII, with a primer catcher.
$125 for the plain RC
$150 for the RCII"

You can buy a brand new Lee single stage press for $99.00, and it gets better reviews than the overpriced RCBS Rock Chucker. See here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*680***8604***
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #138
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
You can buy a brand new Lee single stage press for $99.00, and it gets better reviews than the overpriced RCBS Rock Chucker. See here:

Thanks, Aurelius.

Will the RCBS dies I have work in a Lee press?

edit: not sure canadians can cross-border shop for reloading equipment, and equipment appears to be a bit more costly this side of the border.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #139
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, Aurelius.

Will the RCBS dies I have work in a Lee press?

Yep. I've got all kinds of dies (Lee, RCBS, Bonanza, Redding, etc.), and they all fit perfectly.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #140
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

You know what would be GREAT?

To have a step by step with the single stage.

From spent cartridge cleaning to fully seated and ready to go round.

I have a .44 magnum and my big "to do in this life list" is to reload for it.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #141
Lornce
Lost In Place

Any thoughts on a Lee Breachlock Challenger press? Apparently I can buy that in Canada for $71.

This is proving trickier than I'd thought. It seems most Cdn dealers only sell complete press kits, very few sell presses individually.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #142
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Any thoughts on a Lee Breachlock Challenger press? Apparently I can buy that in Canada for $71.

This is proving trickier than I'd thought. It seems most Cdn dealers only sell complete press kits, very few sell presses individually.

Check on e-bay. Used presses go for pennies on the dollar, and if they're current models, they're every bit as good as a new one.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #143
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,128
Quote:

Not intending to bash the Breech Lock, but I suspect it's Lee's equivalent of the RCBS Junior. Not a bad press, will get the job done, but I think those smaller presses require more effort to do certain operations, full-length resizing (which you'll likely want to do with a 308, depending on the kind of rifle you will be shooting) specifically. None of these presses are staggering expensive. Get a good one. I think the Lee recommended by Aurelius or the RockChucker are your best bets.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #144
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 20,445
Quote:

That looks like a stout compound leveraged O press. You might need some shell holders for it though.. never know. I've had good luck with Lee.. mainly molds, dies, primer seaters, etc.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #145
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post
You know what would be GREAT?

To have a step by step with the single stage.

From spent cartridge cleaning to fully seated and ready to go round.

I have a .44 magnum and my big "to do in this life list" is to reload for it.
There's nothing to it. It took me all of half an hour to learn to reload, with no prior experience. Do a search on youtube; they have lots of videos on reloading, and you're likely to find several showing you the basic steps.

By the way, lots of seasoned reloaders will tell you this, but I prefer not to use the press for priming the cartridges. It's much easier and faster to insert the new primers with a hand primer. Use the press only for resizing and inserting the bullets.

Also, you don't need to clean the spent cartridge every time you reload. I clean mine only after the third firing, or if they've been shot out of guns which leave a lot of burt powder residue on the cases. Don't bother cleaning the primer pocket like the books tell you. It's just a waste of time.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #146
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
None of these presses are staggering expensive. Get a good one. I think the Lee recommended by Aurelius or the RockChucker are your best bets.
That's more or less what I was thinking. Just ordered a Rock Chucker Supreme from a Canadian dealer... because he can get one.

Done.

Next!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #147
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Lornce,

Make sure the press has universal threads for the loading dies. That is the screw in system for the dies. I am assuming the dies you got were all older versions and threaded. The newer presses that use twist lock style dies can end up costing money and limit the choice of dies.

As far as economics of loading is concerned. The easiest way is to compare the cost of ammo with the components. That means primers, bullets, powder and cases. Small pistol cases are fairly cheap and you can usually find lots of reloadable brass at ranges if you do not buy your own either as ammo or empty brass. I find I can buy reman (commercially reloaded) 9mm ammo as cheap as I can reload it for jacketed bullets. Cast lead bullets are a bit cheaper but not good in some handguns like a Glock.

In rifle calibers the price gets more favorable to the handloader. For .308 I figured I could load ammo for about 26 cents each because I already had a supply of brass. It's cheaper in smaller calibers like the .223 because the bullets cost less. The majority of the cost is the slugs now that primers can be had for under $40.00 a thousand. You will get about 200 to 300 rounds per pound of powder in a .308 depending on what powder you use and how hot you load it. I don't worry about magnum ammo, regular shells are plenty for target practice and hunting.

There are 7000 grains in a pound of powder so you can divide the loads into that figure to see how many shells you will get. In handgun shells like the 9mm that means about 1500 to 1700 shells per pound. In rifles when shooting about 50 grains (some .308 or 30-06) it is only about 140 shells. The powder cost will go higher per round than the pistol ammo. I would figure on no more than 5 to 9 loadings of rifle brass if you full length resize and about 10 for straight wall ammo like 9mm and .38 /357 rounds. This is assuming you do not load the ammo really hot for max velocity. Slower loads save the wear on the brass.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #148
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
Lornce,

Make sure the press has universal threads for the loading dies. That is the screw in system for the dies. I am assuming the dies you got were all older versions and threaded. The newer presses that use twist lock style dies can end up costing money and limit the choice of dies.
Thanks for that info, Motor. Just zapped the retailer and am awaiting a reply.

And thanks for the additional info, too. Much appreciate it.

I love this site.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #149
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
**good intel!** I would figure on no more than 5 to 9 loadings of rifle brass if you full length resize and about 10 for straight wall ammo like 9mm and .38 /357 rounds. This is assuming you do not load the ammo really hot for max velocity. Slower loads save the wear on the brass.
So - you guys that are already reloading: How do you track the number of reloads for your brass? Some kind of etched lot number, or just different colored ammo boxes for the finished product/recently expended cartridges? What I mean is - what's your system?
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #150
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
So - you guys that are already reloading: How do you track the number of reloads for your brass? Some kind of etched lot number, or just different colored ammo boxes for the finished product/recently expended cartridges? What I mean is - what's your system?
All of my match brass (.40, 9mm, .38, .45 and .223) goes into 5 gallon buckets by caliber- so the total number of loadings is anyone's guess. Every time I pick up a case I look at it before I put it into the first station (I have a progressive reloader) and check the headstamp (some brands don't work well and some brass isn't reloadable), the base of the cartridge (for bulges or splits) and the mouth of the case (for cracks). The check takes about a second or two and any questionable cases go bye-bye. The next check is during the priming station- if the priming goes too easy, the primer pocket is shot and the case goes bye-bye. Final check is a case gauge on every case before it goes into the ammo can. Because of the amount of rounds I expend (20,000 per year or so) and the vagaries of picking up brass at matches, trying to track cases by lot is impossible.

When I reload for my .338 Win Mag and max loads for my .44 or even .357, I take more care to use fresh brass and/ or track reloadings.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: