Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #991
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Also, remember that you don't have to always load to the maximum. You don't need every last foot per second.
Mine have always shot much better groups at 85-90% than at hot or max loads. Save some powder.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #992
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Bought a 500 round box of 124 gr Remington Golden Sabers to feed my 9mm habit. Found them on "sale" at Midway a week or two ago. Probably on sale because they are not the bonded ones. That's OK with me though.

Beretta 92 FS, Gen 3 Glock 19, Star BM

vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #993
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed View Post
Bought a 500 round box of 124 gr Remington Golden Sabers to feed my 9mm habit. Found them on "sale" at Midway a week or two ago. Probably on sale because they are not the bonded ones. That's OK with me though.
Arms like Popeye yet
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #994
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Arms like Popeye yet
No, I guess "tennis elbow" will have to do.
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #995
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
Punkin, Are you planning on loading out in the field or back in the hotel later on?
Even though I've never reloaded, I've been saving brass for years and I've accumulated enough that I'm going to load enough for the trip ahead of time. I ordered the press tonight and found a local source for powder and primers. They're more expensive than mail order, but still cheaper when you factor in the hazmat charges. I'm actually looking forward to the "working up a load" process. I have a range near work so I can load a few then shoot them the next day and over the course of a few days should be able to nail it down, then my son and I can get the assembly line going and start chunking them out.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #996
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Resting my arms on the bench, I shot a .5" group at 10 yards with my .38 reloads. Probably not much to brag about, but it made me pretty happy

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #997
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

My first reloads

My press and all the peripherals showed up yesterday so I loaded up some .223 with various powder charges, starting at 24.0 which is what the Lyman manual and Hogdon website said.

Brass: Remington stuff I've saved
Powder: H335
Bullets: Hornady 50 gr V-max
Primer: CCI 400
COAL: 2.245"

The overall length varied quite a bit between the Lyman manual and the Hogdon web site, so I measured the COAL on some Black Hills stuff I have on hand with the same 50 gr V-max and used that.

It looks like 24.5 or 25.3 grains is the sweet spot and my hand loads are as good or better than the Black Hills stuff I bought. My son is really excited because he's the one that loaded the 25.3 grain stuff.

All variation in the groups below is my inability to shoot straight, although I don't mind admitting that I almost creamed myself after shooting the first 2 groups with the 25.3 grain loads. The longest range at the place I usually shoot is only 100 yards so I'm hoping to get out to a friend's next week who has 100, 200, and 300 yard ranges.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #998
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
My press and all the peripherals showed up yesterday so I loaded up some .223 with various powder charges, starting at 24.0 which is what the Lyman manual and Hogdon website said.

The overall length varied quite a bit between the Lyman manual and the Hogdon web site, so I measured the COAL on some Black Hills stuff I have on hand with the same 50 gr V-max and used that.

It looks like 24.5 or 25.3 grains is the sweet spot and my hand loads are as good or better than the Black Hills stuff I bought. My son is really excited because he's the one that loaded the 25.3 grain stuff.

All variation in the groups below is my inability to shoot straight, although I don't mind admitting that I almost creamed myself after shooting the first 2 groups with the 25.3 grain loads. The longest range at the place I usually shoot is only 100 yards so I'm hoping to get out to a friend's next week who has 100, 200, and 300 yard ranges.
Certainly good enough for any "real" target -

The H335 (IIRC) leaves some space in the case for a 223- I've had much better luck with Varget/Superperformance powders

Why not a larger bullet (i've found HUGE variance with th e bullet size shape)?
rifle twist/length of barrel?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #999
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post

Why not a larger bullet (i've found HUGE variance with th e bullet size shape)?
rifle twist/length of barrel?
I got my son and I each a Remington 700 for our upcoming prairie dog shoot next month. They have a 1 in 12" twist. I've tried 40, 50, 52, 55, and 60 grain in V-max and hollow points, along with various brands of 55 grain FMJ. The tightest groups came from 50 grain V-max and 52 grain hollow points. 40 gr were the worst, followed closely by the 60 gr. Around 50gr seems to be the sweet spot for these guns.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #1000
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
I got my son and I each a Remington 700 for our upcoming prairie dog shoot next month. They have a 1 in 12" twist. I've tried 40, 50, 52, 55, and 60 grain in V-max and hollow points, along with various brands of 55 grain FMJ. The tightest groups came from 50 grain V-max and 52 grain hollow points. 40 gr were the worst, followed closely by the 60 gr. Around 50gr seems to be the sweet spot for these guns.
groundhog stuff

Sounds right for a 1:12 twist-
My rem 700 sps has a 1:9 and does better with the big girls (68 gr sierras) but also really well with the 52 HPBT matches-

Shoots like junk with the rem factory 55 gr cheap stuff (like 1-1 1/2 inch) but the brass is good. The little 40 gr stuff was also all over the place- faster was not better.

Looking forward to a 'dog report
Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #1001
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:

I'd load up a series in .2 grain increments from 24.7 to 25.1 and see if ya cant shrink that nice group some more....then play with seating depth some if you know how far off the lands you are....are ya shooting off a bag or a hard rest?
S.t.t.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #1002
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.t.t.G. View Post
I'd load up a series in .2 grain increments from 24.7 to 25.1 and see if ya cant shrink that nice group some more....then play with seating depth some if you know how far off the lands you are....are ya shooting off a bag or a hard rest?
I need to read up on how to measure the distance off the lands. I was shooting off a Harris bipod with a bag under the rear of the stock.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #1003
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,748
The bullet shape will determine seating depth. Some bullets are fatter close to the tip and will need to be a little deeper. Start a bullet in an empty case just far enough for it to stay in the case. Try to chamber it gently until you feel it getting resistance. Keep seating it a little deeper until you can close the bolt just as you hit resistance. Then seat them another .01 to .02 deeper.

The good news about your 1-12" twist barrels is that you can play with cast in them. For cheap fun, a 55 grain cast lead over 2.5 grains of Bullseye is a hoot to shoot. Pretty accurate to 50 yards, too.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #1004
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
The bullet shape will determine seating depth. Some bullets are fatter close to the tip and will need to be a little deeper. Start a bullet in an empty case just far enough for it to stay in the case. Try to chamber it gently until you feel it getting resistance. Keep seating it a little deeper until you can close the bolt just as you hit resistance. Then seat them another .01 to .02 deeper.

The good news about your 1-12" twist barrels is that you can play with cast in them. For cheap fun, a 55 grain cast lead over 2.5 grains of Bullseye is a hoot to shoot. Pretty accurate to 50 yards, too.
Yup....some guys use a case with a neck that's been split with a thin dremel wheel so the bullet will slide in the neck. Maybe even seat 5 thou.+ off the lands, or more....some times a certain load might like 10 thou off the lands...usually the higher the pressure the cartridge is rated for the farther a factory barrel will let a bullet "jump" to the lands. Now that you've found the accurate powder charge, load up a series that are 10 thou, 20 thou and 30 thou off the lands and see if groups don't shrink.....or they might get bigger....ya never know till ya try.....

Or check these out...

http://www.hornady.com/store/OAL-Gauges/

S.t.t.G. screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 09:21 PM
S.t.t.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #1005
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,583
Dumb question. Do I need a Speer Relaoding manual to load Speer bullets? I have a Lyman and a Hornady book, and they list different over all lengths for 150 grain bullets on a .308 Winchester case.

Hornady : 2.756"
Lyman : 2.685"

Thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: