Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #106
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
I'm thinking about buying a tumbler or an ultrasonic cleaner.

Cleaning brass by hand sucks.

But that's going to throw my economics out the window.
Back in the 60s when I first learned reloading from my dad we never cleaned brass. We'd wipe it off with a rag or paper towel, lube it up, and throw it in the sizer. Seemed to work out okay. I bought a tumbler back in the early '80s because it seemed like a good idea, and clean brass now although not necessarily after every reload.

Yup, the economics of it all have to be viewed in the long term. If you get all of the gear and gizmos at the very start, it can be expensive, but like most hobbies I suspect that the majority of participants pick up items here and there over a period of years or decades. Most of my reloading equipment is around 30 years old, give or take, but I'll still pick up an item here and there. My latest was a Dillon primer pocket swage, I've got tons of once-fired military 308 and 223 brass. The swage works great.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #107
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
Back in the 60s when I first learned reloading from my dad we never cleaned brass. We'd wipe it off with a rag or paper towel, lube it up, and throw it in the sizer. Seemed to work out okay. I bought a tumbler back in the early '80s because it seemed like a good idea, and clean brass now although not necessarily after every reload.
The reason I want clean brass is that the cleaner it is, the easier it is to find.

But I loaded up about two shootin' trips worth of ammoe, so I'm probably good for the next month and a half.

I think it's time for a press too. Hammering cases into the lee loader is a pain the ass.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #108
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,210
Quote:
Bump.

A couple of things.....first of all, it seems as though some of the shortages are very gradually beginning to abate. Primers, with the exception of large rifle, are sporadically available now and I'm seeing more in the way of powder and bullets as well. Same with both guns (Glocks, ARs, M1As, S&W revolvers....stuff which had become unobtainable for several months there) and loaded ammo. I realize that this thread is about reloading, but I suspect more than a few new reloaders have been created by the recent "crisis" and consequent upward tick in ammo prices.

What are you guys seeing? Aurelius? You're in the opposite end of the country from me so I'm curious to know what is and isn't readily available there.
At the Orlando gun show two weeks ago, supplies seemed to have gone back to their pre-Obama levels. Where just a few months prior people were litterally climbing over each other to buy up every box of primers and popular military ammoe, this time there were crates of the stuff available. Prices are still inflated, though. Typically a box of 1000 primers sold for $27; the cheapest I found at the show was $39, and some tables were asking as much as $45. At the previous gun show the number of people waiting at the gate was three times the usual amount; this time it was back to normal levels. I also noticed that MidwayUSA once again has .22 caliber bullets in stock in most bullet weights. That hadn't been the case since last March. Still no sign of my favorite .22 LR ammo(e) however.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #109
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
The reason I want clean brass is that the cleaner it is, the easier it is to find.

But I loaded up about two shootin' trips worth of ammoe, so I'm probably good for the next month and a half.

I think it's time for a press too. Hammering cases into the lee loader is a pain the ass.
I do believe that the Lee Loader is definitely a prelude to a press for most shooters!

I hear ya on the clean brass being easier to find bit! That dirty stuff blends right into the dirt and grass.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #110
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I haven't seen a pistol or rifle primer on a shelf yet this year.

Some dudes are reselling with a HEALTHY mark-up on craigslist and a local outdoor internet market place.
Slight thread hijack, but why are you guys using pistol primers at all? I've used nothing but rifle primers in all my pistols for the past 15 years or so. Sticking with one type of primer for all my guns allows me to buy them in large quantitites at 'bulk' prices.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #111
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
Anything you would use bullseye for you can use red dot for. It is also a bulkier powder for similar weight of charge so much harder to get an overload. Since it's primarily a shot gun powder there isn't much of a shortage for red dot, green dot and blue dot all of which can be used for many pistol calibers.
Does Red Dot powder burn cleaner than Bullseye?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 AM   #112
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
Slight thread hijack, but why are you guys using pistol primers at all? I've used nothing but rifle primers in all my pistols for the past 15 years or so. Sticking with one type of primer for all my guns allows me to buy them in large quantitites at 'bulk' prices.
I use pistol primers, large or small, in all of my handgun reloading except for the 500 S&W which specifically calls for LR primers. I think that there are some minor dimensional differences for one thing. I know that there seems to be a trend toward using rifle primers for everything, but I've not followed that one yet.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #113
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I use pistol primers, large or small, in all of my handgun reloading except for the 500 S&W which specifically calls for LR primers. I think that there are some minor dimensional differences for one thing. I know that there seems to be a trend toward using rifle primers for everything, but I've not followed that one yet.
No dimensional differences at all according to my new super-duper dial caliper. Rifle primers have a harder shell and burn hotter than pistol primers, but those are the only differences. Someone opined that the hammer springs on some pistols are too weak to reliably detonate rifle primers, but I've never found that to be the case.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #114
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
No dimensional differences at all according to my new super-duper dial caliper. Rifle primers have a harder shell and burn hotter than pistol primers, but those are the only differences. Someone opined that the hammer springs on some pistols are too weak to reliably detonate rifle primers, but I've never found that to be the case.
Hmmmm, you might be correct about the dimensional differences......I recall when I first got my early-edition 500 Smith in '02 or '03, shortly after that gun was introduced, that there was some concern expressed in the literature that certain brass was made to accommodate LP primers and other brass was set up for LR primers, and that you shouldn't use the wrong primer in a given case. I think that the concern had to do with primer depth. Seems like some early Starline brass was set up for LP primers and then they changed over to LR and the cases were marked accordingly.......or something like that. I'll have to see what I can track down on that issue.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #115
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hmmmm, you might be correct about the dimensional differences......I recall when I first got my early-edition 500 Smith in '02 or '03, shortly after that gun was introduced, that there was some concern expressed in the literature that certain brass was made to accommodate LP primers and other brass was set up for LR primers, and that you shouldn't use the wrong primer in a given case. I think that the concern had to do with primer depth. Seems like some early Starline brass was set up for LP primers and then they changed over to LR and the cases were marked accordingly.......or something like that. I'll have to see what I can track down on that issue.
Looking at it from a common sense standpoint, you have to wonder why any engineer would deliberately design cases with different sized primer pockets, especially since the dimensional difference would be so small as to be imperceptible. From a manufacturing standpoint, it just makes no sense.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #116
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
Looking at it from a common sense standpoint, you have to wonder why any engineer would deliberately design cases with different sized primer pockets, especially since the dimensional difference would be so small as to be imperceptible. From a manufacturing standpoint, it just makes no sense.

It's not the engineers, but the marketeers!
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #117
Ge-Mini-gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
According to the SAAMI specs, the depths for small pistol, small rifle, and large pistol primer pockets are all the same at: .118" to .122"; while large rifle primer pocket has a depth of: .128" to .132".

Switching to DirectTV - use this 52824519
Ge-Mini-gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #118
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge-Mini-gun
According to the SAAMI specs, the depths for small pistol, small rifle, and large pistol primer pockets are all the same at: .118" to .122"; while large rifle primer pocket has a depth of: .128" to .132".
I've used nothing but large rifle primers in both my .44 Magnum and .45 ACP. Neither gun seems to mind.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #119
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
I've used nothing but large rifle primers in both my .44 Magnum and .45 ACP. Neither gun seems to mind.
I was thinking that the problem with LR versus LP primers was one of seating-depth. 1/100th of an inch probably isn't going to make much of a difference most of the time, it seems that many primers are seated slightly below flush with the head of the case in any event, so an LR in an LP pocket might just bring it to flush, but if a given round had a slightly protruding primer I could see at least the remote possibility of a slam-fire in a semi-automatic pistol, or a cylinder binding up in a close-tolerances revolver. I think I'll just continue to follow the specs suggested by the manufacturers, but it's nice to know that in a pinch one could use some primers interchangeably.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #120
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
another bump, cuz I finally got a press and now the joneses want to keep up.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: