Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #121
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
another bump, cuz I finally got a press and now the joneses want to keep up.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #122
PriapismSD
Apply orally

Oddometer: 103
I recently sold off all my Dillon stuff, wasn't using it and it was taking up space. Prices for lead and primer is so much worse than the early 90's when I started shooting competitions, not much cheaper now than buying white-box stuff. Back then it cost half as much for 9mm-45-40 for weekly IPSC stuff, now it is not worth the time and money to start from scratch getting the press, scale, boxes, calipers, tumbler, brass, etc...
Consult your physician to see if the 'Pism is right for you. Symptoms may include euphoria, smugness, moistness, and increased sarcasm levels. Discontinue use if you experience nausea, vomiting, or a condition lasting longer than 4 hours. Your mileage may vary, first time buyers are welcome, and wait at least 30 minutes before swimming. See our ad in this month's Cosmo, net weight before cooking.
PriapismSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #123
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,370
I haven't priced it all out in a while. I'd love to see the numbers if someone else had. Hard to imagine it's not worthwhile at todays prices....

Today the 100ct WWB at Wally was $21.95. This is the same box I was buying for $11.95 about 5-years ago. Used to be for me at least, it wasn't worth reloading 9mm, because I could get the same WWB at gun shows for about $8/box, and I think it might have been around $7/box or close to that for me to reload.

Boxes of 100ct 45acp WWB are $34.95. When they have it. I see .40 fairly often, but 45 is tough to find. I didn't buy this when I used to shoot a lot, but seems to me it was around $15/box back then.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #124
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
I haven't priced it all out in a while. I'd love to see the numbers if someone else had. Hard to imagine it's not worthwhile at todays prices....

Today the 100ct WWB at Wally was $21.95. This is the same box I was buying for $11.95 about 5-years ago. Used to be for me at least, it wasn't worth reloading 9mm, because I could get the same WWB at gun shows for about $8/box, and I think it might have been around $7/box or close to that for me to reload.

Boxes of 100ct 45acp WWB are $34.95. When they have it. I see .40 fairly often, but 45 is tough to find. I didn't buy this when I used to shoot a lot, but seems to me it was around $15/box back then.
I load .45acp for $.18-.29 a round, depending on the bullet. I could get even cheaper bullets and get it down to ~$.15/rd.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #125
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,699
Bump

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #126
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Are there cartridges (.22LR aside) where the cost savings just dont justify the expense of getting setup for it?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #127
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Are there cartridges (.22LR aside) where the cost savings just dont justify the expense of getting setup for it?
I used to feel that way about the 9x19 round. Pre-'08 you could buy good hardball from domestic manufacturers for about $6 or 7 per 50, so it was hard to justify handloading it if you considered your time to be worth anything. Now that it's almost double that I'm rethinking..... I've not loaded 9mm in years but might take it up again as I've been wanting to shoot that caliber more.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #128
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Bump
can we get a revisited price on things?
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #129
Kürbczech
Almost tacticool...

Oddometer: 601
A few years ago, I had considered setting up to reload, but I eventually realized (1) it's still expensive to buy the presses and whatnot, (2) I don't shoot that often (IDPA matches that I can make because of my job schedule are rare these days), and (3) if the zombies/government/revolution shows up at my door, I've got bigger problems than running out of ammo (and shoulda bailed before that point anyway).
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #130
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,626
one o'those things I always thought I'd be interested in...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:13 AM   #131
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post
can we get a revisited price on things?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but this thread was begun in March of '09, and it was in '08 and '09 that we saw price run-ups, shortages of some components, etc. There was actually scalping going on for primers for a while there, but I do believe that most of the thread reflects close to current economic conditions for most things, with primers possibly having gone down just a little.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #132
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,357
This is a timely bump. A generous workmate recently passed along some of his old reloading equipment. He was very involved with precision shooting in the military but now he wants to clear out his basement.

Primarily for .308 I've got dies, brass, powder scales (balance beam and electronic), powder trickler, powder measures, case trimmer, primer pocket reamer, primer setting tool, etc and etc. Even one of his old 10x mil dot scopes.

Like I said, a very generous workmate.

What I'm looking for now is a suitable press. I've heard some talk about a model called "Rock Chucker". Is that the consensus for a good, solid quality .308 press? What are the details I'd need before I go looking for a suitable example?

Mucho appreciado all of ya'all's experience and input.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #133
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,727
Just get the standard Lee single stage. Cheap and strong enough for what you want to do.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #134
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
This is a timely bump. A generous workmate recently passed along some of his old reloading equipment. He was very involved with precision shooting in the military but now he wants to clear out his basement.

Primarily for .308 I've got dies, brass, powder scales (balance beam and electronic), powder trickler, powder measures, case trimmer, primer pocket reamer, primer setting tool, etc and etc. Even one of his old 10x mil dot scopes.

What I'm looking for now is a suitable press. I've heard some talk about a model called "Rock Chucker". Is that the consensus for a good, solid quality .308 press? What are the details I'd need before I go looking for a suitable example?

The Rock Chucker is an old and very reliable press, but it's overpriced and no better than the less expensive single stage press made by Lee. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it isn't quite as good the Lee press.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #135
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post

An RCBS RockChucker is an excellent press for any caliber short of the 50BMG.....which is a totally specialized item if you want to handload it, and only a very few (which does NOT include myself) do.

Pilot's recommendation of the Lee is no doubt a good one too. I have no experience with that press but assume it to be excellent as well. I've had my RCBS RockChucker since '78 and it has loaded tens of thousands of rounds and still looks and works like new. If you could find a used one on FleaBay I'm sure it would be fine, there's not much a guy could do to hurt one of those things.

I also have an even older RCBS Junior. I'm not sure that they make that one anymore, but I got it in the early '70s as part of a reloading 'kit' and it is fine too, but I went to the RockChucker as it has more leverage and is better for full-length sizing of large rifle cases, magnums and such.

Hard cases make bad law.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: