User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Harley Chop to drag bike Project

With my Ironhead Norley finished, its time to start another project. I had two options, first to carry on with my Guzzi endurance racer replica, or do something with an incomplete Evo Chop that had sat unloved for a couple of years.

Its a Ultima 4 inch stretch rigid frame, with an El Bruto Evo 127CI motor, belt primary and 6 speed gearbox. Its sitting on a pair of very nice 120 / 80 spoke wheels (stainless spokes too), 18 inch rear and 21 front, with wide glide forks. All very nice and pretty conventional.

I'd build this up out of parts when they came up cheap, a mate then thought he may want it, so I collected a few more parts here and there. Later he had to move away with his job, so I was left with it. No problem really, except I already had one expensive to run big inch Harley, I didn't want another. So it got sprayed in GT85 to protect it from the winter damp, and left in a corner of the garage for a couple of years.

I still don't need an expensive, uncomfortable, cantankerous Chop, but what I did want is another drag bike. Always regretted selling the last one. Fortunately, I'd kept a lot of the one off parts from the last Evo drag bike, which could be reused on the new one.

I'd originally thought only to use the engine/primary/gearbox, with the spoked wheels, forks and frame needing to be replaced. The wheels and forks would go in favour of lighter running gear from a jap bike, while a new lower, longer rigid frame would need to be made. I may still commission a frame, but I found the bikes with full on drag bike frames kinda lost my interest. I prefer them to still look at least in some ways similar to a road bike.

Sooooo..

Plan A is to modify the frame I have and see how it goes, by lowering the headstock, raking it to 40 degrees and bracing the frame. If it ends up too heavy or too weak, we can move to plan B, or C or D ..

I want to run it next year in a few local events, nothing to serious, just for the fun of it. If things go ok, then I may build a new frame in Chrome Moly and add NOS to keep things interesting.
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-08-2014 at 02:18 PM
Bevelheadmhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First task was to remove the heavy steel rear mudguard, and replace it with a fibreglass one I'd had in the shed for ages. Its similar to the one fitted to my road bike, made by the German company HPU. Spotted it on Ebay for 30. Still needs mounting of course, already looks much better..

As for wheels, my first port of call is to my mate Jeff, he's always got a few useful spares in his workshop attic. No 17inch sports bike wheels, but he did have one of his homemade split rim wheels. 17 inches, just over 6 inches wide. Just the job.. except it was a bit on the heavy side. We weighed it at 13.5 kg including disc and sprocket. It looks great and will fit the frame with a bit of machining to narrow the hubs, but not sure, as I'm trying to build the bike as light as possible within reason. I took it to try, and today had my local bike shop fit an old tyre from their scrap pile, didn't cost anything, and it'll only be used for setting up.

First problem is that the split rim wheel leaks like a sieve, it will need sealing before its used. Second issue is that the hubs will need to be shortened to make room for a caliper mount, not really a problem, just more work. The third problem is that my rear mudguard (which I really like the look of) is a few mm too narrow.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got some fibreglass tape, matting and resin and made a start on widening the rear mudguard by slicing it in two. Held it apart crudely to get the width right, and started laying on the Roven tape, its much neater to use than matting. When that ran out, I carried on using fibreglass matting. Note to self.. wear gloves next time you mess about with fibreglass
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The seat unit feels about twice as heavy as it was, with all the new layers of fibreglass and resin (better safe than sorry), and I've also added a couple alloy plates where the side mounts to the frame will be. I did try fibreglassing these plates into place but it didn't work, so instead I just used resin as a glue, along with drilling lots of little holes around their edges to give the resin additional purchase. Seemed to work ok. When new tabs are welded onto the frame, these plates will strengthen the area where the mounting bolts will pass through the seat unit.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After letting the fibreglass set, I used filler to clean up the join. Still got to do some work on it at the front, that has to wait until the mounts are welded on the frame and the seat unit is bolted into place.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is the Roven tape I used, I'd never heard of it before, but then I rarely use fibreglass. Its good stuff, but expensive..
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm taking the frame to a frame builder in Norfolk (UK) in late August to have the headstock lowered, raked and braced. He's currently at Bonneville racing a 1950's BSA with a turbo.

Before then I'm trying to do as much as I can, though that's not much yet.
I made a new bracket for the airshifter (another old part recycled from my old bike). Also took the gearbox out and had my local bike shop remove the pulley nut, as you need an extra deep socket which I haven't got. But I did have a front sprocket for the gearbox, another spare from my old bike, as it'll be running a chain not a belt.
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-08-2014 at 02:21 PM
Old 08-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

For the front end, I'm going to press out the steering stem from as set of Harley yokes I was given (so I can use HD head bearings and headstock), and use it with a pair of Jeff's billet yokes. He had a set half finished to take 43mm forks, which I'm using with a pair of forks from an early ZXR750 (if all goes to plan).

For the front wheel, I want one that matches the rear split rim. Well, we can make hubs and centres, but rims are expensive and difficult to find used. As usual I'm on a tight budget, and so I'm going to have to sacrifice an old Astralite wheel for its rims. Its a lot of work to do, but it saves money.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 924
Thumb

Alrite lad - waytogo
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

An old Astralite wheel which had seen better days has been sacrificed for its rims. Next step is to drill and tap the centre to take 80 M6 countersunk bolts, and machine the spokes to match the style of the rear wheel and lose a little weight.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,037
There's nothing quite like getting together a few bits of crap and making a new hotrod hey? This one has bits from 5 different bikes so far!

Hayabusa rear wheel, 17x6" with 190/50 Pilot Power, weighs in at 14kg complete with cush drive and brake rotor installed. A matching GS250F Across and 110/80-17 with stock 310mm rotor weighs in at 9.3kg (not shown). Butt ugly 3-spoke Suzuki stuff but hey, it works.

Have fun with it mate.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:41 AM   #12
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its gonna be a bitsa for sure, so far its got parts from a Honda, Yamaha race bike, Ducati, HD XL and big twin, and only just got started.

The front wheel had four hours of machining on the miller to get the spokes done to match the rear wheel. Think I'll leave the centres as they are, and just polish the raised bits. Need to decide if its having twin or single disc on the front, probably go for single disc to keep the weight done..
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,392
A bump fot your thread and a little old school inspiration.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's a nice old Harley, do you know what times it did?

I'm still making steady progress with mine. Last week I squeezed the frame into my little hatchback and had a ten hour return trip to Norfolk (that's the original one in England). I took the frame to a one man outfit who makes frames, where he'll lower, rake, brace the headstock and lengthen the top tube too. That should be ready in two weeks or so. Here's his website.. http://www.ccd-briz.com/ his Daimler v8 bike was different!

In the meantime, we've almost finished making the billet yokes and rear caliper mount, spacers etc.

Here's an action vid of the yokes being machined

http://youtu.be/0fkvAG-WW70
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,392
[QUOTE=Bevelheadmhr;25066228]That's a nice old Harley, do you know what times it did?

Sorry ,I didn't ask anyone. It was at the Cyclemos Museum in Red Boiling Springs,Tn. I was there followong the Cannonball Cross Country Motorcycle Endurance Run, this year for pre-1937 bikes.

Here's a few of the nearly 100 bikes in the rally.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote