Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
Banzaibob OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Diesel Motorcycles: They really are kinda cool.

This is the Red Devil. It started out as a 1970 Honda CB350 and a Yanmar L100. Primary is an 18 pitch 2" industrial belt and pulley. The clutch is wet/dry, kinda. Installed a 17 amp Sportster alternator under the flywheel, plenty of electricity for anything. Suffice it to say; So far on surface streets it does a solid 60 mph and gets 175mpg. It is loud, smelly, slow and totally cool. Surprisingly it vibrates very little. Here is the build article I wrote for dieselbike.net. http://www.dieselbike.net/Red_Devil/Red_Devil.htm
Banzaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
OldDog
aka Hugh Jarse

Oddometer: 4,702

Thanks for posting that, I've always had a penchant for diesel powered "stuff". I'm enjoying the read and thinking....what could I use hmmmmm
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,585
Thats awesome, any more pics you could share with us as thats a great looking bike.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
Frey
motocrossdresser

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzaibob View Post
A lot of people try to build the perfect post-apocalyptic motorcycle. Some have a lot of pointy things sticking out of them. That’s good.

Very cool! If we go post apocalyptic I think with your building skills you will do great.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
Banzaibob OP
Adventurer

It may take a while to get more pics...it is not allowing me to upload because of size issues.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
I like it

top speed?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,809

Spotted at the Barber Vintage Fest in '09. Twin cylinder Yanmar diesel driving a hydraulic pump and driving both wheels . Forward and reverse.
The square black tubing is aluminum , so , it's not as heavy as it first appears .
I talked to the builder who said he'd had it up to 60 mph , forward. He also said if he did it again he'd lose the cruiser stance and aim more for a upright ,dirt bike stance for better control off road.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Banzaibob OP
Adventurer

The Red Devil will do about 60mph tops. It pulls modest hills at 35-40mph. I tried to put a RHB31 turbocharger on it. It is simply too small an engine and has too low of a redline to work effectively. If I could make it rev to 6000rpm I might see some boost but the valves would float well before that.

I am looking for another diesel engine to build a bike around. I figure that a typically 25hp engine on middleweight chassis could result in a bike that could reliably cruise the interstate at 80mph tops and still get over 60mpg.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
Banzaibob OP
Adventurer

Resized
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
Nicely done.
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
tntmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
I didn't think it would be interesting to me, but I'm intrigued. Cool stuff, well done!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #12
Banzaibob OP
Adventurer

When I first built the bike I was thinking specifically about taking to shows and events to so I could say I built it. I had visions of chroming it out a little bit and trying to impress people through bling. The entire concept is unique.

However, as time went on I found out the the damn thing was stone reliable. Since I've finished it over two years ago, I've probably put about 6000 miles on it, all local. I welded some panier mounts to it and fixed some 20mm cannon ammo cans as saddlebags. With those and bungee cords for the luggage rack I can haul damn near anything that I can put in a small car. The thought behind this is why put those local convenience store/bank/post office miles on a $20,000 bike?

This picture was taken a couple of days ago and is more representative of it's workhorse nature.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #13
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzaibob View Post
I am looking for another diesel engine to build a bike around. I figure that a typically 25hp engine on middleweight chassis could result in a bike that could reliably cruise the interstate at 80mph tops and still get over 60mpg.
Why not use the diesel engine from on of those ARTIC CAT diesel ATV's.

Are those decent engines?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #14
Banzaibob OP
Adventurer

I would love to have an engine out of a diesel ATV. The only problem is cost. I probably forgot to mention that the Red Devil probably cost less than $800. The engine I have been thinking about is actually a China Diesel 28hp V-twin. They are sold under various names; WinSun, PunSun, even Carrol Stream. They list for about $1500. I have also thought about getting one out of a semi-truck APU.

Diesel by nature is probably 75% more or less than gas when it comes to different measures. A 35hp motorcycle engine weighs 125lbs. A typical 35hp diesel utility engine weighs twice that if not more. That 35hp gas engine makes it 35hp at 5000rpm with a redline of 8000rpm. My 10hp diesel makes almost as much torque but makes its peak hp at 1900prm with a 3000 redline. Not to mention, small Diesels being so robust, I'll bet that a purpose built diesel ATV engine costs $9000.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,809

H-D repowered with a three cylinder Kubota tractor motor. Chain primary to the H-D clutch and tranny.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote