Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #16
touring919
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Any updates? Devoted 919 riders want to know.

Big props on such a larg undertaking. Hope it turns out as good as the idea.
touring919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 313
Keeping tabs on the development of this cool project for sure. Makes me wish I had kept my wrecked 919 for dirtbike experimentation in the dark of night!
Rex Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,466
You better hurry on your research...or someone will and wont tell you... amigo!

So far looking good. Try to stay Honda as much as possible...

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #19
Byrdman OP
Fat guy on a little bike!

Oddometer: 346
I'm finally back at it.......

Many, many changes have popped up since I last updated this thread.

A new baby boy arrived, a new 919 donor bike showed up, new KTM 990 supermoto forks made their way on, and new KTM 950 Adventure wheels are on the way!

Here's where I am today.

The next step is to start chopping my spare 919 frame apart. I'm going to "move" the stock swingarm pivot down about 1" and back about 4". That will align the swingarm and chain angles. I'm also going to push the stock 919 tailsection straight back about 5" to make room for my new panniers. Then after I've really fucked up a good 919, I'm going to build a lower engine cradle and a custom exhaust. Fun stuff........

Anyone know the cheapest online source for TKC80's?

Byrdman screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 10:44 PM
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #20
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,013
I've been keeping my eye on this thread for a while now. I'm interesting in doing something similar, starting with a 750 Nighthawk, using XR600 & 650 bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman
Anyone know the cheapest online source for TKC80's?
Southwest MotoTires...

http://www.swmototires.com/index.php...=110&Itemid=53
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #21
Byrdman OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67
I've been keeping my eye on this thread for a while now. I'm interesting in doing something similar, starting with a 750 Nighthawk, using XR600 & 650 bits.
Too funny, that's where this project started. Here's my original design study.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #22
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
cool project!

Quote:
The next step is to start chopping my spare 919 frame apart. I'm going to "move" the stock swingarm pivot down about 1" and back about 4". That will align the swingarm and chain angles.
careful with the swingarm pivot relocation - the further the pivot is from the countershaft sprocket, the greater chain tension differential you'll have as the rear wheel moves through its arc. basically super slack at top out, to super tight at the point where the countershaft, pivot and rear axle are all in a line, then looser again at bottom out. the more travel you have, the bigger an issue this becomes. that's part of the reason why newish mx bikes have their countershaft sprockets almost touching the swingarm pivots, and why old-ish long travel mx bikes have all kinds of chain tensioners and old timers have all kinds of "that time my chain went through my engine case..." horror stories. otherwise, kickass!
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #23
Byrdman OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef
careful with the swingarm pivot relocation - the further the pivot is from the countershaft sprocket, the greater chain tension differential you'll have as the rear wheel moves through its arc. basically super slack at top out, to super tight at the point where the countershaft, pivot and rear axle are all in a line, then looser again at bottom out. the more travel you have, the bigger an issue this becomes. that's part of the reason why newish mx bikes have their countershaft sprockets almost touching the swingarm pivots, and why old-ish long travel mx bikes have all kinds of chain tensioners and old timers have all kinds of "that time my chain went through my engine case..." horror stories. otherwise, kickass!
That's great info. I'm going to re-study this issue. It may be smarter to extend the swingarm 4".

Off to play with the CAD system.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #24
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Awesome looking build! You must be one tall SOB. I am building a Duc Monster, well, slowly. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll only extend the swingarm about 2", though I don't know anything about how to CAD it up. I'm also putting on a taller shock and an adjustable height tie rod. On top of that, I'll go with larger sprockets front and rear to help the angle clear the swingarm.

Have you seen Old Dog's Ducati build? He went about 4" on the swingarm and he's pretty tall too, and he still thinks it was way too much from what I gather. Not sure if it was the height or the length he had a problem with, but you might want to give him a shout and find out.

By the way, one other tip for weight savings...check these batteries out:

Here

Guys are using them on the Ducati forums with no issues. They are also suppose to last longer, and put out more power than a lead battery.
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #25
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,013
Quote:
Too funny, that's where this project started. Here's my original design study.

Yep, that's about it, but with a high fender and TKC's. I photoshopped big XR forks, front fender, and wheels onto a 750 NH, and I like the look. The 919 is a much better bike than the CB750, but I'm going for reliability and simplicity of the basic platform.

The '91-'03 Nighthawks are reputed to be one of the most reliable (albeit maybe a tad boring and long-in-the-tooth) bikes made... no fuel pump, no injectors, no radiator, no fan, no computer, no valve adjustments. Just keep gas and oil in 'er and enjoy.

In spite of loving my 955 Tiger, I'm quite the luddite when it comes to bikes... I prefer air-cooling, gravity fuel feed, carbs (good ones), external alternators, and no computers or ECU's.

I'll be watching your build quite closely. Best of luck.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 03:17 PM
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #26
Byrdman OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67
Yep, that's about it, but with a high fender and TKC's. I photoshopped big XR forks, front fender, and wheels onto a 750 NH, and I like the look. The 919 is a much better bike than the CB750, but I'm going for reliability and simplicity of the basic platform.

The '91-'03 Nighthawks are reputed to be one of the most reliable (albeit maybe a tad boring and long-in-the-tooth) bikes made... no fuel pump, no injectors, no radiator, no fan, no computer, no valve adjustments. Just keep gas and oil in 'er and enjoy.

In spite of loving my 955 Tiger, I'm quite the luddite when it comes to bikes... I prefer air-cooling, gravity fuel feed, carbs (good ones), external alternators, and no computers or ECU's.

I'll be watching your build quite closely. Best of luck.
I had a donor 1992 NH750 and even started the dual sport build with it. The ONLY reason I went with the 919, I friggin hate carbs! I have rebuilt enough carbs to last a life time!

It is a bulletproof bike though. Like you said, fuel it and ride.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #27
joey95
n00b

Oddometer: 8
nice

Great project cant wait till its done
joey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #28
Byrdman OP

Okay, I finally have the 919 frame chopped and re-welded together. It was a pretty big leap of faith cutting up two perfectly good 919 frames!

The original problem:

I figured that by dropping the swingarm pivot by 1.25", the line between the rear axle and the countershaft would be just about perfect under static sag. So, apart came the frames!

I'm making good progress now. I need to get some additional pictures of the completed frame. Next step, I'm having the swingarm extended 3". That will give me a nice, long wheelbase for my extra large build!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #29
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,860
nice!
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #30
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
Looking good, Byrdman!!! I'm just about to jump back into the Bandit project as the weather has finally cooled down around here.