I got a better idea 1 1.39%
time for a tequila shot! 7 9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
Leeb17
Let's ride !

Oddometer: 44
I agree with AugustFalcon. I can't imagine wading through a 1000+ post thread to see if my 60cx can perform some magic I want it to do.

The Thumper Talk model works well. You'd have to combine some models, but if you start a thread in a multi model section, it makes sense to prefix your thread with model.

ie Section - Garmin 60cx/sx/....

"60cx batter cover question".

Others posted some good ideas/formats.

As far as the "which gps to buy" type questions. Have a section for general questions. Just like many of the current stickies. If you can't even bother to search, then how you gonna find your way by GPS
Leeb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,861
I'm unsticking this and letting it flow.

There is a balance between cluttering the forum with "which GPS do I buy" threads and the volume of the threadfest.

It would be nice to do something like rwamf suggests. That is more like a computer disk file structure, Unfortunately, vB doesn't lend itself to that.

I guess we'll continue on for a while as is and ponder the possibilities.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
jazzer
Lost again... Yeah!

Oddometer: 203
Hi Dave,

I've spent a lot of time going over reviews and posts about which GPS to buy, but it's overwhelming. In a perfect world there would be a questionaire with a rating system of what is important to you..... like where do you travel? roads or dirt? Do you use a mac or pc? What countries? Portable? Waterproof?

Anyway, in the end it woud give a sugestion to a confused guy like me.

Ken
(although I really do enjoy getting lost while traveling)
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #19
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
the voting sure seems to be one sided, though I was hoping for a few more tequila drinkers! I finally decided to buy a garmin 478 (yesterday) after invading and going a bit off topic on a few threads. I still don't have all the answers but I guess I'll just figure them out when I get the unit. Now that I'm a 478 owner I wouldn't mind having a 478 user's group thread and then sharing my new experiences with others that might be interested. It could be like an experiment to see if this might work? ......
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #20
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis
the voting sure seems to be one sided, though I was hoping for a few more tequila drinkers!
Sorry for being unclear - I was referring to the "Which GPS do I buy" thread.

Inmates have always had the ability to start a thread on a specific model and continue to add to it. The SPOT thread is a prime example. It's just that given the structure of vB, there won't be separate subforum for each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer
I've spent a lot of time going over reviews and posts about which GPS to buy, but it's overwhelming. In a perfect world there would be a questionaire with a rating system of what is important to you..... like where do you travel? roads or dirt? Do you use a mac or pc? What countries? Portable? Waterproof?

Anyway, in the end it woud give a sugestion to a confused guy like me.
If you look at the "Lost or Confused" stickie - we suggested similar questions as a way to frame the "Which GPS do I buy" question. But if you look at the posts, there are still dozens of people who wander in with the exact same set of circumstances and post the exact same question, and then we end up with dozens very similar posts clogging up the forum and making it more difficult to get to the unique questions. Hence, the threadfest.

Countdown mentioned an index. I told him if somene wanted to put a good one together, I'd sticky it. But honestly, I don't have the time to do it if I want to get other things done and some riding, too. That offer is still open. And if someone wants to design a flowchart, or table, or something that would assist in the selection process, that is manufacturer neutral, I'll include that, too.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #21
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
Countdown mentioned an index. I told him if somene wanted to put a good one together, I'd sticky it. But honestly, I don't have the time to do it if I want to get other things done and some riding, too. That offer is still open. And if someone wants to design a flowchart, or table, or something that would assist in the selection process, that is manufacturer neutral, I'll include that, too. Dave
I would be glad to help someone but doing it is probably above my skill level. Perhaps one of the guys who did the Index in "thumpers" would volunter?