Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #271
CrankyTom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Very nice! I really like the black engine. I wish mine had it.
Thanks-I like the look of the black drivetrain myself,but it was just coincidence that was what it had.It's supposed to help resist corrosion from road salt etc.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #272
nosbearatu
n00b

Oddometer: 6
So, I hope this is a good place for this question. I am looking into buying a used Ural up here in Minnesota and was wondering if there were any Ural owners on here from Minnesota that have experience with titleing an older Ural with a newer 750cc engine in this state (MN requires engine VINs as well as bike VINs on titles). I see a lot of bikes available in surrounding states with the conversions that are more in my price range then a new bike, but seeing as I have constant problems getting bikes titled in this state I wanted to know what I was getting into.
nosbearatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #273
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
I'm in WI. We don't track the engine number but I have seen plenty of MN titles. As far as I know, they only track the engine number to try and cut down on stolen vehicles/engines, so as long as it isn't stolen, it should be fine.
Call up the place you plan to do the title transfer and ask them what they need.
They may have a form to fill out or require a picture, not sure, but they will tell you.
Congrats on Uraling along!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #274
nosbearatu
n00b

So I stopped by the DMV today to complete the title transfer on my RD and I asked about the engine VIN thing and she said the state requires documentation of engine purchase from the out of state seller to register the bike in the state with the new engine VIN. Is this something people who have done this upgrade on the Urals usually keep around? Looks like in my search I need to make sure I have the paperwork to go with any bike that has this change, bummer.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #275
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbearatu View Post
So I stopped by the DMV today to complete the title transfer on my RD and I asked about the engine VIN thing and she said the state requires documentation of engine purchase from the out of state seller to register the bike in the state with the new engine VIN. Is this something people who have done this upgrade on the Urals usually keep around? Looks like in my search I need to make sure I have the paperwork to go with any bike that has this change, bummer.
I have replaced countless engines on cars and motorcycles, and I've only really kept these records for cars. For motorcycles, it normally involved buying an entire donor bike, and using the engine to repair my existing scoot. I can't say I've ever gone and bought a new S&S with a bill of sale and a certificate of origin.

Funny story. I had a 1973 Honda CB750 that I just sold last week. When I first got it, the title had 2 VIN's on it. The first VIN was for the frame, then a hypen, then a second VIN that went to the engine. I assume this is what MN would require. Well, I went to transfer the title at the DMV, and after some keyboard shuffling by the DMV clerk, I was greeted a state trooper. He wanted to ask me some questions about my stolen motorcycle.

Well, it turns out that because of the dual VIN ass-hattery on the title, there had been some confusion. The frame associated with my engine had lived on in another bike, which had been stolen some years ago. So when they input the engine VIN into the computer, it came back hot. It took quite a bit of explaining to get them to understand that I was holding a title with 2 VIN's that was dated 8 years prior to the motorcycle in question being stolen. After that, I finally got the DMV to agree that engine VIN's have no business on titles, and they removed it to eliminate future problems.

I can't fathom why the MN DMV would require an engine VIN. They don't require it for cars, why should they for motorcycles? Do they not understand that VIN's were not always required on engines, and that many motorcycles dont' have engine VIN's?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #276
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Question Mounts for GoPro?

I was wondering what mount has worked well on a Ural. I'm planning to add a videocam and while a helmet mount would probably offer the best steady shot, mounting on the car would be a good perspective too.

I've used RAM mounts for GPS, but do the GoPro mounts work at all?

Thanks for the help.

doug
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #277
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Vibration is your enemy on with the GoPro. I've tried mounting mine to the handlebars, fairing, and front fender. It just never worked well.

The suction cup mount they sell for cars works great if you put it on the top of the tub. I generally tie it off with a piece of 550 cord just in case the suction cup breaks free while riding.

If you are going for scenery, a helmet mount works great too. That will give you the least vibration, although, it comes at the expense of bigger movements due to moving your head.

This was shot with the car mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pcJZCPFLYzY

RidingDonkeys screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 02:47 PM
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #278
Spat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I have replaced countless engines on cars and motorcycles, and I've only really kept these records for cars. For motorcycles, it normally involved buying an entire donor bike, and using the engine to repair my existing scoot. I can't say I've ever gone and bought a new S&S with a bill of sale and a certificate of origin.

Funny story. I had a 1973 Honda CB750 that I just sold last week. When I first got it, the title had 2 VIN's on it. The first VIN was for the frame, then a hypen, then a second VIN that went to the engine. I assume this is what MN would require. Well, I went to transfer the title at the DMV, and after some keyboard shuffling by the DMV clerk, I was greeted a state trooper. He wanted to ask me some questions about my stolen motorcycle.

Well, it turns out that because of the dual VIN ass-hattery on the title, there had been some confusion. The frame associated with my engine had lived on in another bike, which had been stolen some years ago. So when they input the engine VIN into the computer, it came back hot. It took quite a bit of explaining to get them to understand that I was holding a title with 2 VIN's that was dated 8 years prior to the motorcycle in question being stolen. After that, I finally got the DMV to agree that engine VIN's have no business on titles, and they removed it to eliminate future problems.

I can't fathom why the MN DMV would require an engine VIN. They don't require it for cars, why should they for motorcycles? Do they not understand that VIN's were not always required on engines, and that many motorcycles dont' have engine VIN's?
I have a 1969 EletraGlide and earlier HD's only had Motor #'s no VIN on the frames.

Red Green: You ever see one of these? It's called a GPS, this thing uses satellites to tell you where you are, which means that every man can have a five-hundred-dollar reason not to ask for directions.
Spat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #279
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spat View Post
I have a 1969 EletraGlide and earlier HD's only had Motor #'s no VIN on the frames.

Yup, there is that scenario too.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #280
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Vibration is your enemy on with the GoPro. I've tried mounting mine to the handlebars, fairing, and front fender. It just never worked well.

The suction cup mount they sell for cars works great if you put it on the top of the tub. I generally tie it off with a piece of 550 cord just in case the suction cup breaks free while riding.

If you are going for scenery, a helmet mount works great too. That will give you the least vibration, although, it comes at the expense of bigger movements due to moving your head.

This was shot with the car mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pcJZCPFLYzY
The car was what I was thinking as the alternate with the helmet mount. I may have trouble with the suction cup as I have the camo/matt finish and my Zumo mount is not happy with that.

Thanks for the input!
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #281
Ivan Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
I just register an out of State bike in California and DMV came out to the parking lot and inspected the VIN & Engine numbers and put both on the title. It's required on Motorcycles in California.
'10 Ural ST Solo
http://www.flickr.com/photo s/ivanrider/
Ivan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #282
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetsurginc View Post
The car was what I was thinking as the alternate with the helmet mount. I may have trouble with the suction cup as I have the camo/matt finish and my Zumo mount is not happy with that.

Thanks for the input!
No problem. Another solution I was looking at was using a U-bolt to clamp a mount to the front bumper. That was my next move if the suction cup didn't work.

It would be super easy to make, and would make a very solid mounting point.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #283
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,588
RidingDonkeys,
Congrats " I had a 1973 Honda CB750 that I just sold last week."
Happiness is selling a bike,car,boat,etc and buying another bike,car,boat,etc.
What's next?
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #284
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
RidingDonkeys,
Congrats " I had a 1973 Honda CB750 that I just sold last week."
Happiness is selling a bike,car,boat,etc and buying another bike,car,boat,etc.
What's next?
I thought I was going to grab a DR650 for MrsDonkeys. However, she's taking a liking to being able to traverse through the garage and has decided that she wants to wait until Winter to get a dual-sport for herself. She's not completely sold on the DR650, but loves the CRF230L. However, she knows that the CRF230L is lacking power for longer hauls on the roads. So a little more research time isn't a bad thing.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #285
nosbearatu
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Rider View Post
I just register an out of State bike in California and DMV came out to the parking lot and inspected the VIN & Engine numbers and put both on the title. It's required on Motorcycles in California.
Minnesota has to be the hardest place to do title transfers of anywhere I have lived. When you register a bike they ask you just tell them the engine VIN, but if you don't have a number that matches up what it is supposed to look like in their system they have a fit. I have registered three bikes now in this state and I have a problem on everyone of them. Usually its a minor typo when filling out the transfer, the last one was my grandmother listing the wrong day when she signed and writing over the 1 with a 2 to correct this I had to fill out additional forms and get the previous owner to sign off on the change. I know make sure to get the contact info from anyone I buy a vehicle from since the DVS always has something I need to fix.

Right now the Ural is waiting on the go ahead from the wife. Since we are having a kid it was supposed to be a way for both me and my wife to keep riding once we have the kid. I figured it would be best for me to goet one and have a few years under my belt on the hack before I was willing to bring the kid along.