Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #46
Ural Australia
Banned

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Sarge
I could be very, VERY wrong, but I believe BMW's and Urals rotate in opposite directions. The conversion can certainly be done but I suspect it is not as easy as it first sounds. (Which will add a lot of bucks to the cost of the BMW motor for the conversion.)

Sarge
Yes, you are so very wrong! Why do people who know nothing always feel obliged to step in with useless comments? The difference between Urals, Dneprs, Chang Jiangs and Xiang Jiangs, and post 55 BMWs is that post 55 BMWs have a three shaft gearbox and the others have a two shaft gearbox. The conversion is relatively easy, but BMW parts tend to cost far more than the other parts. Plus the appropriate BMW engines are getting rather long in the tooth.
Ural Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #47
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ural Australia
Yes, you are so very wrong! Why do people who know nothing always feel obliged to step in with useless comments? The difference between Urals, Dneprs, Chang Jiangs and Xiang Jiangs, and post 55 BMWs is that post 55 BMWs have a three shaft gearbox and the others have a two shaft gearbox. The conversion is relatively easy, but BMW parts tend to cost far more than the other parts. Plus the appropriate BMW engines are getting rather long in the tooth.
Ural Australia, Have you ever thought about a career in politics? You would make a fine diplomat. Why do you find it necessary to insult people? It's seems you enjoy raining on peoples parades. Your getting quite the rep out here in the sidecar forum world.
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #48
KrazyKonrad
Will BBQ for Gas Money

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc
Not true. I recently bought a 650cc mill for half the cost of a Denso
Spare 650 and Tranny that were removed working for a 750 upgrade cost me $200.
KrazyKonrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #49
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Yes, you are so very wrong! Why do people who know nothing always feel obliged to step in with useless comments?
OK, why did you feel obliged?

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #50
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Even if you had all the BMW, Ural, Dnepr and CJ knowledge in the world, who do you expect to respect it if this is the way you address others here? The info you provide may well be the bee's knees in correctness, but the manner which you supply it needs some improvement, I suspect. Me, I don't know beans about swapping the parts and engines from one to the other, but I do know that if I needed the information I'd not want to get it from someone who pitches it in such a manner. That is just plain rude for no good reason. If you want to correct information or eliminate some sort of misadvice, old wife's tales or rumor, there are indeed better ways to word it.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #51
RomaDakota
29th scroll, 6th ver

Oddometer: 1,312
Huey, I'll take facts over a blowhard anyday.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #52
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,417
Quote:
Wow, you asked: "Why do people who know nothing always feel obliged to step in with useless comments?"
Ya know what hotrod....If you want to try and impress people with what knowledge you think you have that is one thing but making a stupid statement like that only lets everyone here know that you have no clue what it is like to be able to treat people with a little bit of common respect. Yes, respect seems to be common on this forum and from my experience within the sidecar world in general. Go ahead and glory in yourself and see how happy that makes you.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #53
Ural Australia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyL
Ural Australia, Have you ever thought about a career in politics? You would make a fine diplomat. Why do you find it necessary to insult people? It's seems you enjoy raining on peoples parades. Your getting quite the rep out here in the sidecar forum world.
Where's the insult? BMWs and Urals do not rotate in opposite directions and I explained why. Assumptions are dangerous but frequent. As to a rep(utation), who cares? If you choose to base your opinions on feel-good feelings rather than facts - that's your choice. NMFP.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #54
Ural Australia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942
Even if you had all the BMW, Ural, Dnepr and CJ knowledge in the world, who do you expect to respect it if this is the way you address others here? The info you provide may well be the bee's knees in correctness, but the manner which you supply it needs some improvement, I suspect. Me, I don't know beans about swapping the parts and engines from one to the other, but I do know that if I needed the information I'd not want to get it from someone who pitches it in such a manner. That is just plain rude for no good reason. If you want to correct information or eliminate some sort of misadvice, old wife's tales or rumor, there are indeed better ways to word it.
Huey,

I don't expect anyone to respect information. They accept it's veracity or not - their choice and the consequences of either choice are theirs. There may well be better ways to word what I said - but a lot of that is cultural. Just like your Department of State couldn't get the word right for their "Reset" button to the Russian Federation. Or why Russians often ask about Americans - "Why do they walk down the street with those silly grins on their faces? Are they fools?" - just in a different culture where insincerity is offensive. Again NMFP.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #55
Ural Australia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
Wow, you asked: "Why do people who know nothing always feel obliged to step in with useless comments?"
Ya know what hotrod....If you want to try and impress people with what knowledge you think you have that is one thing but making a stupid statement like that only lets everyone here know that you have no clue what it is like to be able to treat people with a little bit of common respect. Yes, respect seems to be common on this forum and from my experience within the sidecar world in general. Go ahead and glory in yourself and see how happy that makes you.
Claude,

Obviously the word "hotrod" means something to you, but to me it's nothing more than a type of vehicle I've never had the desire to build or own. Does that mean your communication skills are lacking? Or that you presume that English is not the language that divides us?

I don't think that I've tried to impress people with knowledge. and I don't care if people accept what I say or not - but I have offered it and can't be accused of not offering it.

Respect - a funny word with too many meanings. I respect you for your work with swaybars, but since I don't know you I have no general respect for you. That doesn't mean that I disrespect you, but it seems that Americans demand absolute respect no matter what - not the same meaning here.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #56
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Huey,

just in a different culture where insincerity is offensive.
I got around a bit in My younger days, and I never encountered a culture where being rude wasn't offensive. Only a fool uses his prejudicious to judge all people. Advrider is an international community, is a little bit of self restraint to much to ask?
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #57
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,464

All right fellas. That's enough.

Let's keep it civil, please.

Pissing on each other's shoes doesn't make for pleasant conversation about sidecars.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #58
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Huey,

I don't expect anyone to respect information. They accept it's veracity or not - their choice and the consequences of either choice are theirs. There may well be better ways to word what I said - but a lot of that is cultural. Just like your Department of State couldn't get the word right for their "Reset" button to the Russian Federation. Or why Russians often ask about Americans - "Why do they walk down the street with those silly grins on their faces? Are they fools?" - just in a different culture where insincerity is offensive. Again NMFP.
If rationalization works for you, then I guess that is all that is really necessary to be content with yourself. I can see why you get so many folk ticked at various websites though in doing that. Just seems a better thought out reply or even a bit of respect for another's reply goes a longer way than your method of approach.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...

coupe1942 screwed with this post 04-12-2009 at 11:01 AM
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:03 AM   #59
Nick in PRC.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill
I never encountered a culture where being rude wasn't offensive.
Fancy a cultural exchange ?

Chang chat: http://cj750.forumcircle.com
Nick in PRC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #60
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,788
Can I jump in as a none Ural owner....yet .

I've known about them for a while AND seriously checked out a new 09 at AZ bike week. VERY COOL!!! I understand 62 MPH is the max and all and I know they are fun. I want one to take my 4 and 6 year old kids out (not at the same time) AND something for the Wife to ride. I'd like to commute on it occansionally, just need to milk 65 out of it.

Logans, a Ural dealer here in the Phoenix area here says he has a demo. Should I take it out for a test ride? The ONLY sidehack I've ridden was an EML on a BMW K1100. I liked it..it was fun.

BTW..I'm West of Phoenix with a ton of great dirt roads to explore.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote