Oddometer: 490
thanks for the update

Good luck on your finals!
escuchamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:30 AM   #137
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Alright guys, I'm finally done with school and passed everything I need to!
Had a few days off with some mates to relax and relieve the stress

I got around to redesigning the new generation of devices. So far, the prototype boards are all in order, that means the new software for both the tripmaster and repeater seem to be running without any glitches and some refinements have also been made

My biggest dilemma atm is for the tripmasters, which batteries to use. My 2 options are either CR2032 "tablets" or some AAA batteries.

I am aiming at using the CR2032 (1 or 2???) due to their size which would allow me to keep the casing size height to an incredible low size! On the other hand, the AAA batteries have a far greater capacity and could make the TM unit run for a year (or more ), but that's not the point really.

IIRC, the ICO units only last 2 or so weeks on 2 CR2032's, but I can be sure that I can make mine run a few months...

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #138
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,558
2 x CR2032

Pack of 20 for $3.43 (2.63 euro), no tax, free shipping!

FYI, the most recent ICO Rallye VR Lights have a bug that causes them to lock up occasionally. To get it running again you have to remove the internal batteries, then re-install them (happened to me twice in one day). Now I'm running mine without the batteries so I only have to disconnect the 12V cable and reconnect. You may be getting an increase of orders due to this.

HogWild screwed with this post 06-13-2011 at 08:28 AM
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #139
LaBree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
"My biggest dilemma atm is for the tripmasters, which batteries to use. My 2 options are either CR2032 "tablets" or some AAA batteries."

2x cr2032 would work fine for me.
Especially when the housing stays small.

How about the possibility to connect 2 different gps's to the repeater.
( not at the same time, but interchangeable )
Now have a Oregon, but a used 60csx is also on it's way.

Most guys I talk to say: CSX60, nothing else.
Hmm my personal dilemma ;)

LaBree screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 02:10 AM
LaBree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #140
Offroadie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
2 x CR2032 for me please.

The ICO I have draws power most of the time from the bike. Batteries are just for back up really.

The current ICO indeed has a bug that stops it wakeing up. Need to remove the batteries and re-install as you have said. (Even when it is connected to the bike battery).

I will use the Garmin 62. It has a small USB type connection.

Regards
Offroadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #141
escuchamente
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 490
lighter is better

Go with the small option (that also looks fairly inexpensive). I'm still up for one trip.
Tks.
E
escuchamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #142
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Update!

Well, the time has finally come, I have now finished the design of my new devices!
I plan on going big with this, i.e. opening a webshop (can anybody recommend me a good platform for one that I can use and administor myself?).

Here some pics and infos for the time being:

Internal "secrets"

Tripmaster:
- Trip A, accuracy of 100m, counts up to 999.9km
- Trip B, accuracy of either 100m (up to 999.9km like trip A) or 10m accuracy (counts up to 99.99km)
- Current sped display
- Top speed display
- Wheel circumference adjustable in mm's (not cm's!)
- Clock with 24h display
- Metric (km and km/h) or Imperial (miles and mph) units
- Orange backlit LCD (perfect readability during night time and during heavy sunlight and dust)
- Runs on both 2x CR2032 battery "pills" (last several weeks, if not months) and external 12V (operates backlight).
- 2 large membrane-clicking buttons (18mm in diameter) on the front for easy pressing even whilst wearing gloves
- Includes front wheel sensor (M8 screw type) and magnet

Compass Repeater:
- Compatible with many different GPS models including Garmin 60 series (4 pin round connector), 276 (8 pin round connector), 62 series (mini USB connector) and ERTF rallye GPS.
- Each repeater will include one cable, but additional cables for use with multiple devices will also be for sale seperately
- Default display shows COG (course over ground)
- Single button toggles display to show SOG (speed over ground), very accurate speed values calculated with GPS data
- Orange backlit LCD (perfect readability during night time and during heavy sunlight and dust)
- Runs only on external 12V (operates backlight) and passes power along to attached GPS unit

Remote:
- Compatible with all electric roadbooks including MD, TT and F2R
- 3 or 4 pin connectors supplied depending on roadbook model

- Tripmaster buttons 100% with old ICOs and my tripmasters
- Tripmaster buttons wired and configured to either operate single (1 cable) or dual (2 cables) tripmasters
- Single mode: Left 2 buttons (up and down) used to manually adjust trip
Right button used to switch through modes
- Dual mode: Left 2 buttons (up and down) used to manually adjust trip of primary tripmaster
Right button used to switch through modes of secondary tripmaster

Another important info: both cases for the tripmaster and repeater will be CNC machined from aluminium and anodised. I am also working on trying to include a 3 button simple remote with the tripmaster, so we'll see soon whether I can get them done, too.

So, I hope I was able to sum up most of the features for you, but I will thoroughly do it again upon creating the online shop!

Please feel free to ask me any questions about my products, I'm more than happy to answer them for you!
Suggestions for changes or improvement are more than welcome!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #143
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Suggestions for changes or improvement are more than welcome!
Excellent work as usual Tony! Is it still not possible to include both the Tipmaster and Compass Repeater in the same unit? Probably too late for that type of major change, even if it is possible.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #144
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Excellent work as usual Tony! Is it still not possible to include both the Tipmaster and Compass Repeater in the same unit? Probably too late for that type of major change, even if it is possible.
How would this unit look? One long casing with 2 screens, or 1 single unit with the compass course displayed in a separate mode? The latter could still be achieved, but new software would have to be written to accomodate the new feature!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #145
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
How would this unit look? One long casing with 2 screens, or 1 single unit with the compass course displayed in a separate mode? The latter could still be achieved, but new software would have to be written to accomodate the new feature!
A single unit, using the same single display. Just provide a way to switch between odometer or heading in the mode menus (plus an extra cable connection). This way if I buy one unit it can be used for either function. Plus, you only build and sell one unit, all the same. For those who want an odometer AND a repeater, they buy two of the same thing and mount them side by side.

If you want to be a creative marketing guy, you can also sell the Tripmaster and Repeater as separate units (as I think you are currently planning). The dual-mode unit costs a little more (extra money in your pocket), but the only difference is 1 hard-coded bit in the software, and different cables out the back. You use the same exact circuit board and everything else.

As a user, I might buy 3 dual-mode units. Two go on the bike, one set for odometer and one set for repeater. The third is a spare that can replace either. If I'm racing and I crash and break one unit, I can switch the cables around and use the other unit in either odometer mode or repeater mode until I get back to the bivouac.

As an added thought, maybe the dual-mode unit is smart and detects if it is connected to a wheel sensor or NMEA, and automatically selects the correct mode depending on which connector is attached. Or doing it a different way, maybe you provide an optional Y cable for the wheel sensor and NMEA so both units can receive both inputs, and you toggle between Speed - Odometer - Heading. I know it gets a little complicated with the GPS power, internal coin batteries, mode switching, external switch connections, etc. But you're super smart so you can figure out a way to make it work!

HogWild screwed with this post 10-16-2011 at 09:54 AM
Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #146
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK, I get you now. I could do the following: place a 4th cable/connector in the rear (1x power, 1x remote, 1x wheel sensor, 1x GPS). Your idea with a Y-cable is good, but won't work. However, we can get the automatic detection of the NMEA signal to switch to the correct mode, that'll work, the wheel sensor detection won't.

Should when connecting the GPS the display not allow you to switch back to the tripmaster modes? I'm guessing not?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #147
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Which Y cable doesn't work, the wheel sensor or the GPS data? And why doesn't it work? There's always a creative solution if you're determined to make something work!

For the GPS, only one leg of the Y connector carries power from your unit to the GPS. Both legs of the Y carry the data from the GPS to your units. This way both units know the heading all the time, but the rider normally sets the modes so one unit displays odometer and one displays heading.

For the wheel sensor, I don't know if you use a hall sensor, reed switch, or inductive. But again, it may take some circuit and programming tricks, but I think it's possible to make a Y cable that allows both units to display odometer at the same time, from a singe sensor.

If you can get both Y cables to work, then each unit always receives and processes both the wheel sensor and GPS data, but they display only what the rider has selected. In this way, the unit doesn't need to automatically detect from the sensors if it is a Tripmeter or a Repeater, it's decided by the mode the rider selects, which maybe can even be changed while riding, just like switching between odometer and speed from the handlebar switch.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #148
Gerduro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
have you had a look at this unit : Meter Explona Repeater Mini

http://www.sklep.motoracer.pl/metrom...Csid=5e9a00d07

Features of the mini mode:

- distance "trip" and speed measurements based on wheel turns,
- measurement of a voltage of the main battery,
- compass, current course when any GPS with NMEA is connected,
- fast recall of the trip display,
- ability to connect external reset switches,
- easy distinguished readings,
- non-volatile memory.
Gerduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #149
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll have to think about it more thoroughly. The problem is in fact that each external "function" has a designated pin on the microprocesser, i.e. Receive Data for NMEA and External Interrupt for the wheel sensor. It's not possible to just mix them together, unfortunately

Old 10-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #150
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerduro View Post
have you had a look at this unit : Meter Explona Repeater Mini

http://www.sklep.motoracer.pl/metrom...Csid=5e9a00d07

Features of the mini mode:

- distance "trip" and speed measurements based on wheel turns,
- measurement of a voltage of the main battery,
- compass, current course when any GPS with NMEA is connected,
- fast recall of the trip display,
- ability to connect external reset switches,
- easy distinguished readings,
- non-volatile memory.
Interesting! One downside, though, the LED screen! No matter what anybody says, you can't read the damn things in (dust) sunlight, PERIOD! Don"t just take my word for it, ask Frans Verhoeven