ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #151
Gerduro
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 23
Battery Voltage would be nice so especially on a 690 RR without kickstart .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Interesting! One downside, though, the LED screen! No matter what anybody says, you can't read the damn things in (dust) sunlight, PERIOD! Don"t just take my word for it, ask Frans Verhoeven
Gerduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #152
blakrj
Need to ride
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerduro View Post
Battery Voltage would be nice so especially on a 690 RR without kickstart .....
You beat me to it. Been trying to find a waterproof meter for that exact purpose. Here's hoping...Tony?
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R (stolen)
2008 Yamaha YZ450, 2002 Yamaha YZ426
www.bruneibikers.com
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #153
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
schattat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Oddometer: 1,408
I don't think it'd be a wise idea to place yet another major feature within the tripmaster, it'll just make things too complicated and switching through the modes would take forever. What I could do is consider creating a separate device dedicated to measuring the battery voltage?
__________________
RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #154
blakrj
Need to ride
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
I don't think it'd be a wise idea to place yet another major feature within the tripmaster, it'll just make things too complicated and switching through the modes would take forever. What I could do is consider creating a separate device dedicated to measuring the battery voltage?
Tony, agree on trying to add too many functions on one device. Too many single points of failure. I'm looking for a voltmeter to provide a constant view of the voltage. There have been some issues with the KTM regulators causing odd problems. Would be nice if it had a memory for min and max as well as current voltage. Few folks have mounted a marine unit, but they don't handle the bumps and rough rides too well.
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R (stolen)
2008 Yamaha YZ450, 2002 Yamaha YZ426
www.bruneibikers.com
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #155
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
schattat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Tony, agree on trying to add too many functions on one device. Too many single points of failure
Amen, brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
I'm looking for a voltmeter to provide a constant view of the voltage. There have been some issues with the KTM regulators causing odd problems. Would be nice if it had a memory for min and max as well as current voltage. Few folks have mounted a marine unit, but they don't handle the bumps and rough rides too well.
What sort of probles are we talking about. Are the regs producing a too high voltage causing the battery to die?

It's an easy project, to be honest. A 2 digit LCD and a few basic electronic components will do the trick. I'm guessing it doesn't have to be backlit, or does it?
__________________
RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #156
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
schattat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Oddometer: 1,408
Alright, before I have the cases made out of aluminium, I used a service called "3D Prototype Printing" to have a sample made to make sure I didn't make any mistake in the design. Check out this video to see how remarkable this technology is!!!


Here's the result:


and the old prototype circuit built in:
__________________
RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #157
blakrj
Need to ride
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Amen, brother!

What sort of probles are we talking about. Are the regs producing a too high voltage causing the battery to die?

It's an easy project, to be honest. A 2 digit LCD and a few basic electronic components will do the trick. I'm guessing it doesn't have to be backlit, or does it?
Tony, couple I have heard of producing too high a voltage and causing weird problems with the bike (odd running conditions, stalling, dying, etc.). Also, if out on adventure trip with heated gear, lights, nav, etc. would be good to know the battery condition, as no option to kickstart. Backlight would be good for those rare cases of being out at night, but not really needed
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R (stolen)
2008 Yamaha YZ450, 2002 Yamaha YZ426
www.bruneibikers.com
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #158
PackMule
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
I'll have to think about it more thoroughly. The problem is in fact that each external "function" has a designated pin on the microprocesser, i.e. Receive Data for NMEA and External Interrupt for the wheel sensor. It's not possible to just mix them together, unfortunately
Tony, I think he's talking about a Y from the wheel sensor/GPS -- so that each device could send to both tripmasters (and leave the user with the choice which view to toggle).
__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA


Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #159
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
schattat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Tony, I think he's talking about a Y from the wheel sensor/GPS -- so that each device could send to both tripmasters (and leave the user with the choice which view to toggle).
In that case, yes it'll work!
__________________
RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #160
HogWild
Scott Whitney
 
HogWild's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal USA
Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
In that case, yes it'll work!
Great, I knew you could find a way! So, do you think it makes sense to design it to work as a dual mode device?
__________________
.
New desert racing frontiers
It will be Diabolical!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #161
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
schattat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Oddometer: 1,408
Good news!
I have been a busy bee and have started on my website design. It won't be a webshop in the sense of having a shopping cart to place parts in. In Germany it's too much of a PITA to adhere to the billions of rules regarding webshops (e.g. joining a waste disposal company so customers have the privilege of returning me the parcel I sent them their order in, just so I can forward it to the waste company for them to recycle for me, WTF? ).

Customers can look at the products, e-mail me with their order and so on...

In addition, I may have come up with a suitable name for my "company". RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions.
Potential logo:


What do you guys think? I'm not of the creative type, just so you know I may add some colour to bring it more to life, though...


Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Great, I knew you could find a way! So, do you think it makes sense to design it to work as a dual mode device?
If it'd make sense is probably dependant on the user? To me, I wouldn't want it on my bike, makes things too convoluted in the menus whe flipping through modes, but that may just be me...
But if you're interested, I can custom make you one or a few one off models. Just some minor mods on the PCBs will have to be done and new software written. Let me know if you're still interested.
__________________
RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #162
HogWild
Scott Whitney
 
HogWild's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal USA
Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
But if you're interested, I can custom make you one or a few one off models. Just some minor mods on the PCBs will have to be done and new software written. Let me know if you're still interested.
Yes, I'll take two.

I don't really care about the menu issue because I plan to put one into odometer mode and the other into compass mode and only change them if I have a problem or need to move them between bikes. I wouldn't plan on flipping through the menus while racing or on a training ride. It's more of a backup in case of a failure, and flexibility in what bikes they are on.

You're logo looks pretty good!
__________________
.
New desert racing frontiers
It will be Diabolical!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #163
Jakub
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 46
Hi Tony,

Will you be making remotes too this time around, like last time? Or is your plan for the trip meter to use a standard ICO (or mecasystem) remote.


Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #164
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
schattat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Yes, I'll take two.

I don't really care about the menu issue because I plan to put one into odometer mode and the other into compass mode and only change them if I have a problem or need to move them between bikes. I wouldn't plan on flipping through the menus while racing or on a training ride. It's more of a backup in case of a failure, and flexibility in what bikes they are on.

You're logo looks pretty good!
OK then, just PM or e-mail me so we can work out the finer details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub View Post
Hi Tony,

Will you be making remotes too this time around, like last time? Or is your plan for the trip meter to use a standard ICO (or mecasystem) remote.


Cheers,
Jakub
If you're refering to the Multiswitch for both Tripmaster and Roadbook, then yes. I have been playing with the idea to also include a small 3 button remote out of plastic for the tripmaster, we'll see how that gets sorted...
__________________
RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #165
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
schattat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Oddometer: 1,408
Hi all,

It's been a while since my last post here, I know, but I've been busy as usual. I finally got around to completing (almost, that is) my site for my products.
RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions

I'd like to thank everybody here for their helpful input and ideas, much appreciated!!!!

Let me know what you think


Happy holidays,
Tony
__________________
RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014