Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #91
borsiin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
Tony,

How about wireless on everything? Wireless front wheel sensor, wireless handlebar controls for odometer and roadbook, wireless from GPS to repeater. Now that you've conquered the basic instruments, how about making your products WAY superior to everything else on the market? I think lots of people would love to get rid of all the wiring mess that comes with these things, not to mention the troubles from the front wheel sensor wire breaking (I've seen several). There are lots of new super low power wireless modules available that might run for a year or more on a small watch battery (see pg 10 here, or ZigBee, or DASH7). Production is boring. Go back to the fun of circuits and coding for 2010!

Scott
I would prefer using wires any day. When you are racing in Sahara lowtech is the way to go.

Touratech made a roadbook superior to the MD one filled with gears and cool gadgets. Bute everyone uses MD anyway thanks to the strudly rubber band driven system that can be fixed with gaffa tape and runs forever.....
borsiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #92
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,764
Loving your work Tony!!

Even the fancy manual!

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/tripmaster-user-manual

Once I have the units in Ill let you know more
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #93
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Hi all,

Sorry I couldn't write back to you all, but I've been busy over the weekend celebrating my 18th birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
Tony,

How about wireless on everything? Wireless front wheel sensor, wireless handlebar controls for odometer and roadbook, wireless from GPS to repeater. Now that you've conquered the basic instruments, how about making your products WAY superior to everything else on the market? I think lots of people would love to get rid of all the wiring mess that comes with these things, not to mention the troubles from the front wheel sensor wire breaking (I've seen several). There are lots of new super low power wireless modules available that might run for a year or more on a small watch battery (see pg 10 here, or ZigBee, or DASH7). Production is boring. Go back to the fun of circuits and coding for 2010!

Scott
Nice idea Scott, but I think wireless in the world of rallying, or offroad racing for that matter, isn't the way to go.
Like "borsiin" already said, going as low tech as possible is the best option you have.

Sure your wheel sensor cable can brake, but a broken wireless sensor wouldn't be all too different.
The more different components you bring into a system, the more likely it'll become faulty! Take my TMs and Repeater as a dumb example. There is only ONE chip inside, that does all the work (LCD control, data assesment, wheel and button interrupts, etc.). Take a look at the inside of what the competition has to offer, and you'll see that they have at least 2 chips inside. I like to keep my stuff as simple built as possible.

Like I said, it's a good idea, but probably not reliable enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsiin
Touratech made a roadbook superior to the MD
How the hell can you call Touratech's Roadbook series superior to MD's? Those RBs are the biggest pieces of shite I have ever seen!
Far to complicated with their 2 motor system, and that overboard circuit board in the middle that does the 12V switching between the motors!
WAY TOOOOOO COMPLICATED!!!!!

MDs are simple. ONE motor that does all the work. If you have ever taken apart an MD RB, you can thell that a real genius sat behind the actual design of it (the clutching bearing on the schafts). The one from TT looks like one made by a kid in preschool

My dad still uses his old MD RB which he bought back in '92 for the Dakar Rallye. He then had a big crash which heavily deformed it, so he just bent it back to shape, and it has bee running ever since and been on over 20 rallyes thereafter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie
Loving your work Tony!!

Even the fancy manual!

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/tripmaster-user-manual

Once I have the units in Ill let you know more
Thanks for the positive input Antal! I will have to update the PDF, as some important things are missing (such as how to mount the wheel sensor correctly!).

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec

schattat screwed with this post 10-26-2009 at 03:46 PM
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #94
borsiin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat
Hi all,
How the hell can you call Touratech's Roadbook series superior to MD's? Those RBs are the biggest pieces of shite I have ever seen!
Far to complicated with their 2 motor system, and that overboard circuit board in the middle that does the 12V switching between the motors!
WAY TOOOOOO COMPLICATED!!!!!

MDs are simple. ONE motor that does all the work. If you have ever taken apart an MD RB, you can thell that a real genius sat behind the actual design of it (the clutching bearing on the schafts). The one from TT looks like one made by a kid in preschool

My dad still uses his old MD RB which he bought back in '92 for the Dakar Rallye. He then had a big crash which heavily deformed it, so he just bent it back to shape, and it has bee running ever since and been on over 20 rallyes thereafter!
Thanks for the positive input Antal! I will have to update the PDF, as some important things are missing (such as how to mount the wheel sensor correctly!).
Exactly...

From an engineering point of view the TT is better with gears and 2 engines theoretically gving better paper feed. But in real life a simple enigne and some rubber band is the better solution.....
borsiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:38 AM   #95
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Just got my tripmeter and GPS repeater in the post, I'm a happy camper

Built quality is superb!! Lovely machined casings, all the cables and connectors included!

I got some work to do this weekend to get everything set up, will report back then!

Thanks Tony!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 AM   #96
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just got my tripmeter and GPS repeater in the post, I'm a happy camper

Built quality is superb!! Lovely machined casings, all the cables and connectors included!

I got some work to do this weekend to get everything set up, will report back then!

Thanks Tony!
Hi Antal,

Thanks for the positive feedback!
Please write back once you have them wired up and running! A pic or 2 of them mounted on the bike'll be cool, too!

Have fun,
Tony

Old 11-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #97
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Still have to bring my bike home, will do it all later this week and update you then!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #98
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Still have to bring my bike home, will do it all later this week and update you then!
Please do!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #99
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi all,

I've been busy building circuit boards the last few days. I just have this week to go in school (with exams) until I have 3 weeks christmas holidays at which time I can complete all open orders (also remotes).

On another note, our dear friend "HogWild" has brought to my attention that the "Dakar" has banned competitors from linking any sort of compass repeater apart from the one ERTF supplies (Dakar 2010 Rulebook, Page 58, Section 3). Just another one of their sick marketing ideas
I mean, one can't in any way cheat with it, or not? Even if so, would it really help any average Joe move any closer up to the podium

As far as I know this is only been done by the "Dakar" and not by any other rallye...

Fortunatley nobody attempting to do the "Dakar" has gotten a repeater of mine

BTW, check out my new thread here : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532920

Old 12-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #100
jobr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thumb Gps repeater

Hi, I am intressted in the gps repeter, but as i understand it will only show the heading from the GPS source. Have you tought about adding the the option to set a "heading" and visually warn the rider when he is not on the set heading?

/Joachim
jobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #101
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobr
Hi, I am intressted in the gps repeter, but as i understand it will only show the heading from the GPS source. Have you tought about adding the the option to set a "heading" and visually warn the rider when he is not on the set heading?

/Joachim
Good to here that you are interested!
No, I haven't really thought of adding this feature, as it isn't really relevant for rallye racing. AFAIK Touratech has a repeater model that supports this, but who wants to set the course every 2 minutes

Should I add this feature, then you'd need to add an external button interface which makes it a little too complicated...

Old 12-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #102
jobr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
GPS repeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat
Good to here that you are interested!
No, I haven't really thought of adding this feature, as it isn't really relevant for rallye racing. AFAIK Touratech has a repeater model that supports this, but who wants to set the course every 2 minutes

Should I add this feature, then you'd need to add an external button interface which makes it a little too complicated...
I get your point.

Is it possible to order your repeater, and do you think it will work with the
GlobalSat MR-350 GPS, (with NMEA 0183 GGA, GSA, GSV, RMC, VTG, GLL).

/Joachim
jobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #103
sonicapollo
Adventure Addict

Oddometer: 175
1. What increments of correction are available on your trip computer?

2. Do you supply cables to hook the repeater the the ERTF, or do we get that somewhere else? I'd like to use a Garmin V or something similar for testing, but the ERTF for the rally.

3. You selling your brackets and t-supports/fairing stays yet? I will have a 09 WR450F that is bone stock and will need trinkets!
sonicapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #104
CarbonCat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Hi Tony,

I'm interested in the remote, and probably the GPS repeater. As far as I understand the remote can work with TT roadbook.
Will the GPS repeater work with Garmin 2620?

Thanks!

Motorcycles are not my lifestyle - they are my life!
CarbonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #105
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicapollo
1. What increments of correction are available on your trip computer?
Basically I have 2 different TM software versions (the 2nd one I only made last week). The first one having 2 individual trips, which are only accurate up to 100m (1 digit after the comma).
The new software also has 2 trips. The first one being like before (100m accuracy), but the 2nd trip being accurate to 10m (2 digits after the comma).
The 10m accuracy isn't really useful in long day rallies, but for events like Sardegna or the Berlin-Breslau.

When you want to correct the 100m trip, you press and hold one of the correction buttons. The trip will slowly starting counting either up or down (roughly 2 increments/decrements per second). After a few seconds of holding the button for a longer period of time (about 5 seconds) the trip will starting counting rapidly. This is used to adjust more the KMs than the 100m...

Quote:
2. Do you supply cables to hook the repeater the the ERTF, or do we get that somewhere else? I'd like to use a Garmin V or something similar for testing, but the ERTF for the rally.
I will supply 1 cable per repeater. For the Garmin devices, I buy the accessory cables and fit my connectors on to them.
For the ERTF cables, I custom make them (both connectors and the cable).

If you want an extra cable, I can of course supply you one for some extra money...

Quote:
3. You selling your brackets and t-supports/fairing stays yet? I will have a 09 WR450F that is bone stock and will need trinkets!
I've been asked this before. I'll have to ask my manufacturer how much it'd cost to have a small production going. Stay posted for updates!

Hope I was able to answer your questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCat
Hi Tony,

I'm interested in the remote, and probably the GPS repeater. As far as I understand the remote can work with TT roadbook.
Will the GPS repeater work with Garmin 2620?

Thanks!
Yes, the remotes hand be wired to support either an MD or TT roadbook!

As for your Garmin, it's a little more tricky. You see, the only data output your GPS has is USB. My repeater devices only support old fashioned serial data.
Funny thing, though, is your User's Manual states the USB connector also sends the necessary serial data over the USB connector, but I can't find a suitable connector cable that would allow me to fix it to my repeater.
What cables (other than a "normal" USB one) do you know that exist for your Garmin?!?