User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,402
My first ride on a Zero Electric motorcycle

I have had quite a few bikes. The fastest being a Yamaha r1. I currently i have a 2008 ninja 250 and a 2002 ninja 250 and a 1995 honda africa twin. Not quite speed deamons. but i have a friend that just bought an electric bike. A zero 11.4, with a upgraded 6 controller. He invited me to ride it, and i of course could not refuse such an invitation.

Yesterday i put around 100 miles on it.

Ive never ridden one. So i had no idea how to turn it on. There is a dial that he has to turn it on, once that is on the bike lights up. And the headlight goes on. Of course he has LED lighting.

WIth the bike on. I twist the throttle. No noise. I wonder if im missing something. Im worried about twisting the throttle and the thing just lurching forward. But i realized that i have to roll the throttle a little more to get it to come alive. Once you start hearing some weird electronic noises then it starts to move you forward.

I rode up and down the street a little. The power, super controllable. And apparantly its not really wheelie prone. I think they desgned it to be that way.

Transmission
Super smooth, and you just roll the throttle. No shifting required.

Engine
Powerful, Burton tells me its like a 600cc supersport. But to me it feels ike the power hit of a 1000cc superbike. I think the supersports might have a higher top end, i did not really push the bike in the top end department.

But the engine makes instant power. When burton was going through a light i was following him on the zero. The light turned yellow, i did not want to be in a red. I gunned it and it was if i had all the power there. Boom, i was at his rear wheel.

The 0-60 speed is really pretty incredible. and the bike is silent, you hear a jetsons type of sound. But most of the time you hear the wind.

The speedo cluster
easy to use and read, and tells you how many bars are left. In the 90 or so miles we did i had 5 bars left. Not sure what it means. And i think i didnt even use 1 dollar of electricity.

One of the coolest things ive found is that Burton had his ipad, and used it to bluetooth to the bike. From there he could control the power, regen braking and more.

The regen setup was when the front brake was applied, if it was my zero id like to use perhaps when i roll off the throttle to regen even more. So id have very little braking to do.

You see that in between, that would be the battery. 11.4 is the size. I think Zero wants 15k for these bikes. But this one is faster with a upgraded controller.

The Speedo

WHen i was riding behind Burton, i had the change to let him speed up while i slowed down. And i would hit the throttle to see its reaction. It instantly projected me forward. Without a fairing there was quite a bit of wind and made it a little tougher to do high speed. But i prefer the 0-60 speeds than anything above that.

The road was a little wet to really do alot of speed cornering. But it handled really well, and the suspension was extremely good. not sure what the suspention on the zero, but it was fantastic.

I think we all are so used to the internal combustion engine that an electric bike might seem out there. But i think its time to really start thinking about it. I know for me, its in the future. With the amount of commuting i do, i can live with 100 mile range. The batteries on the 2013+ are also warrantied to 300k miles. With so little maintenance, no oil filters, no oil, no valve adjustments. Bike shops might like them since they would not get as much profit from the service department.

I like it alot, unbelieavable power and extremely stealthy. I got to save up to buy one.

Thank you
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
Penderic
Format C:/u

Oddometer: 84
Check out this good review on the newer Zero SR model...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YIEVdFt0OE

Riders are very impressed!
Penderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Tupperwolf
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 141
That thing is pretty extensively modified (for function rather than looks, I'd say. Not knocking, it just has a bit of a Mad Max look for a newish bike!)

Electric bikes are great fun. I think everyone should test ride one now, because they're great now, and it'll be interesting to see just how much better they get over the next few years. I have a feeling they will be making leaps and bounds forward, piggybacking on the research that's being put into other electric vehicle technologies.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
scorch OP
Poser

Yeah, if they are great now.. Imagine what they will be like in a few years.

Its computers again, the cost will go down fast im sure in the future. I hope its like buying computers, older computers are practically free.

I really hope that if i sink 10,000 into buying a bike that it can be modular. You know being able to upgrade the motor and batteries easily.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
scorch OP
Poser

Another great thing about the electric bikes. If you are behind an electric bike you dont have to be smelling the fumes from a gas powered bike. One reason i like leading, so i can actually smell a bit more of nature.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Burton
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
That thing is pretty extensively modified (for function rather than looks, I'd say. Not knocking, it just has a bit of a Mad Max look for a newish bike!)
The bike, Turbo, was previous a race bike used by Electric Cowboy (Brandon Miller Nozaki) and has been in several series and even up pikes peak. When I got Turbo it was bare bones with a modified seat, an upgraded size 6 controller which was completely unlocked and programmable, an upgraded brake master cylinder off a 125cc yamaha dirt bike, motor has been "ventilated" which is a fancy way of saying milled, and the shocks are off the DS line of the bike.

I had to make a license plate bracket for it, put the rear back on, modify the switch location, make a front headlight bracket, make a inspection sticker bracket, put street legal tires on it etc

Turbo didn't even get a rear view mirror till the day I went out to inspect it ;) Having a reevu helmet it isn't really required.

It is a bare minimal bike and it fits my personality. Turbo being described as a madmax bike just confirms this with me lol You should see my ninja 250 and what I plan on doing to my zero here shortly (google Terry Hershner for an idea).

For the record we actually only did 51.3 miles meaning we were averaging about 55mph overall. It had enough charge to go another 40 miles or more at that speed.

I should also mention Brandon de-tuned the bike before giving it to me in fear I wouldn't be able to handle it coming from a ninja 250. The bike is still set up to be faster than a 2014 SR and I plan on working with him to set it back to race specs to feel it out before streamlining it in the future.

Burton screwed with this post 09-14-2014 at 08:04 PM
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
The bike, Turbo, was previous a race bike used by Electric Cowboy (Brandon Miller Nozaki) and has been in several series and even up pikes peak. When I got Turbo it was bare bones with a modified seat, an upgraded size 6 controller which was completely unlocked and programmable, an upgraded brake master cylinder off a 125cc yamaha dirt bike, and the shocks are off the DS line of the bike.

I had to make a license plate bracket for it, put the rear back on, modify the switch location, make a front headlight bracket, make a inspection sticker bracket, put street legal tires on it etc

Turbo didn't even get a rear view mirror till the day I went out to inspect it ;) Having a reevu helmet it isn't really required.

It is a bare minimal bike and it fits my personality. Turbo being described as a madmax bike just confirms this with me lol You should see my ninja 250 and what I plan on doing to my zero here shortly (google Terry Hershner for an idea).

For the record we actually only did 51.3 miles meaning we were averaging about 55mph overall. It had enough charge to go another 40 miles or more at that speed.

I should also mention Brandon de-tuned the bike before giving it to me in fear I wouldn't be able to handle it coming from a ninja 250. The bike is still set up to be faster than a 2014 SR and I plan on working with him to set it back to race specs to feel it out before streamlining it in the future.

felt like we did more. :) still a great range then. And it seems like it can do 100 miles then?
Old 09-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Burton
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch View Post
felt like we did more. :) still a great range then. And it seems like it can do 100 miles then?
Depends on speed really. If we went 35mph it would do over 135 miles. The nominal watts on my pack is sitting around 10.8K so at 55mph it would stop at 97 miles if you went into "limp home mode."

At 70mph it will go 70miles stock. After I modify it more it will do 105 at 70mph.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,518
What is that with the speedo? there is no tach......right?

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Burton
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
What is that with the speedo? there is no tach......right?
It is a standard Koso (sp). The RPM is indicated by the needle and the speed where the 0 is in the picture above. To the right is battery state of charge remaining and the other two numbers are a tripometer and odometer.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
RBnite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I could see these (electric) bikes as dirt bikes. IMHO, what kind of range does it have?

They need to work on the looks also!
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
Burton
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBnite View Post
I could see these (electric) bikes as dirt bikes. IMHO, what kind of range does it have?
They need to work on the looks also!
This bike is far from stock.
Find specs here: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

They do have electric dirt bikes and there are plenty of videos on youtube of them winning nearly every event they are in against ICE bikes ;)
Old 09-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
RBnite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
This bike is far from stock.
Find specs here: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

They do have electric dirt bikes and there are plenty of videos on youtube of them winning nearly every event they are in against ICE bikes ;)
oh yeah I have seen them, I would like to try one none the less.

I have never seen a motorcycle I did not like!

Nite
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
Tupperwolf
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 141
No kidding. Everyone gripes about this bike or that bike. If you're on two wheels you're having more fun than 99% of the population.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #15
Rotoride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
If only they could make a battery that fills up in 5 minutes...
Rotoride is offline   Reply With Quote