User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
Noreaster OP
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,436
Stupid Question about jump-starting

I have jump-started lots of stuff in my life. I'm comfortable that I have the basics down but this has never happened to me before.

I went out to the bike last night for to take a ride. Prior to this the bike had sat for a month or so. Prior to TAHT the battery had been on a tender and when installed last month, the bike fired right up and ran fine. Last night though: Nothing. "No worries", thought I. "Its just dead from sitting for so long". So I left the battery in the bike and dragged the tender over to it and hooked it up. I left it for 6 hours or so and went back to wallow in my victory only to have nothing happen when I turned the key. No fuel pump priming, no sweep of the gage hands and definitely no starting. It was late and dark so I shelved the project till today.

"F-Bomb this noise", said I to myself as I wheeled the Cherokee around the side of the lot. I hooked that bad-boy up to Ol' Blue (engine of of course) and hooked up the wires and, afar a while, the bike rumbled to life. Until I took the + wire off the bike. Then it died. Right away. Totally. Tried this twice more. Same results. Never had this happen before that I can remember when jump-starting any thing. I have no reason to believe that any thing ECEPT the battery is messed up (other than it didn't charge last night but that cold have quite possibly been operator error) and I think that if I just levee it hooked up for a few min it might be OK? OTOH I don't want o blow my bike up either. Any thoughts?

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,693
I'd check the voltage and maybe trickle charge for a couple days. Sounds like it's life is over though.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 7,279
Bad battery. Or a very bad connection at the battery or a bad cable if you had the pos. away from the battery. (other end of cable).

You basically have no power. You could also have a bad charging system. But it would have run off the battery like it did off the car if it was just that.

I just replaced an old battery in one of my bikes. Tender said charged. It would barely engage the starter. I tested it and 10 cranking amps at full charge.....

So, test the battery. (with a battery tester) Any good auto parts or repair place should have tester that will work.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Sounds like you have an electronic bike (gauge sweep and all).
You will need a battery that holds some sort of charge to keep that running. As dead as the battery you have described it might as well not even be there. As soon as the electricity hichups for a microsecond the computers shut off and the bike dies. So even a fully functional charging system can't keep a bike running without a battery of some sorts.

Cars will do the same thing. I have had several that had a battery completely die. won't hint of a charge, basicly an open circuit. Jump start them and they will often die when the cable is pulled. If they do run they are very tempermental about anything that will glitch the power. A crude trick that I have used a few times is to jump the cooling fan relay. So long as it is a crude cooling fan (straight DC motor, no variable speed driver) the coasting fan acts like a generator. This can add enough buffer to keep a car running without a battery. Not recommended. I am usually doing this to scrap cars going off to junk, they only need to run long enough to get out of the back lot and usually that is the last time they will ever run.

Put a new battery in and all should be happy again.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
tntmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Fuel injected bikes generally won't run without battery voltage.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Noreaster OP
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,436
Yep. The battery was just dead. Have on the way for Monday. I thought that I might get the Cruiserbike inspected early since I was there any way. Nope. $300 for a back tire :( Maybe next week (month).

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote