Fantastic bike for roads downunder...
Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #32
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer
I guess in my case, the difference is I come from a road racing, sportbike background. I miss the slightly tipped forward, feet slightly back riding stance of a sport-oriented bike, and the weight on the front end.
Well so do I-- starting in 1969. Get back to me when you reach 60
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #33
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,811
Well.............. looks like I am trading in my 450exc for a new 07 Superduke.
known the local dealer a long time and he offered me a smokin deal on his last 07, grey color. I could get an 08 but at more $.
I don't ride the 450 much, have a DR650 and a Wee Strom for dualsport and big trips and wanted a fun bike for around town errands and Arkansas rides.

What a great motor,love that sound! the suspension and brakes seem top notch, better than the Speed Triple I also tested.

You guys have any problems with yours at all ?
how bad are the oil changes, mechanic tells me it doesn't require tanks off like the Adventure so its not too bad.

Anybody run the FMF pipes like these ? http://www.fmfracing.com/default_det...&app_year=2007

I will wait a while on these, he tells me his neighbor has these on his bike and they sound great and look cool.

Probably pick it up next week.
KTMRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #34
Bald Kirk OP
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 726
Congrats on the new bike!

The only issue I had with mine was the front exhaust header nuts vibrated off at approx. 2000 miles. I would say make sure all the fasteners are checked and torqued early on.

There were a few recals on some of the 07's. The instrument cluster was replaced on mine, handlebar mounting bracket got an update and the torque on the bolts retaining the clutch was double checked.

The oil takes a little longer to change than some of the bikes I've had but it's not too bad.

Be carefull with the aftermarket exhaust you choose. Some of them are real junk.

Ignore the people who complain of the bike being "snatchy" at low rpm's. They are probably used to riding other twins that have heavy flywheels and don't mind lugging along at 2500 rpm's. The bike is not made for cruising. This things likes 4000 rpms and up so don't be afraid to rev it up there.

Make sure you go here:

http://www.superduke.net/forum/

Bald Kirk
Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #35
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Thanks, the dealer is a very good one with a top flight Ducati, KTM mechanic so I know they will take care of any recalls.

I will wait a while on the exhaust, it sounds pretty good stock. he tells me akra's always take a long time to get in stock.

I did sign up over at superduke.net just wait on confirmation from the mods.

the motor seemed very tractable, lots of power everywhere. my old 1000 Strom hated anything below 4k rpm.
I went pretty easy on it during the test ride, no redline since it was only 9 miles on it.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #36
Powerslave
n00by tires that would be

Oddometer: 313
Sd ?

I'd like one.

Does anyone have enough miles on theirs to comment on whether these are more or less efficient that the 990 Adv at mixing coolant and oil..........
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 AM   #37
Bald Kirk OP
Dances with Dirt Bikes

I'm coming up on 15,000 coolant in the oil free miles.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #38
Powerslave
n00by tires that would be

Oddometer: 313
continued.....

BK,

Good to hear it. I was looking forward to Mitch Boehm's (sp - I think that was him) long term ride report summary but when he left Motorcyclist it never appeared.....do you know if the fix is to install the same part that went bad or has KTM developed the gasket differently that helps out those in need? Have you had any other issues - o r just oil, many tires etc.?

On another topic - does anyone have any side luggage hard or soft on thiers. I know it sort of kills the point of the naked bike - but would make it ultimately more useful. I'm still trying to figure out what my "second" bike will be - I'm not counting the ones that aren't running right now........

I can't help but think that some new black Gobis would look oddly cool on this bike.....
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #39
Bald Kirk OP
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Sunset,

I don't know about the gasket. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the water pump will need to be rebuilt periodically as a preventive measure and it relatively simple and affordable to do. I could be mistaken.

The only other problem I have encountered is that I have to stop being so heavy handed with the throttle. I got a ticket for doing a wheelie and a warning for excessive speed. So far I have managed to only earn 1 point on my license in the past couple of years.

Bald Kirk
Old 04-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #40
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
love, love love my SDR

seat is fine for me but the springs are too stiff (165 lb). got lighter springs and it's PERFECT now.

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #41
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Sweet bike!

I understand the R model is more peaky in power than the standard model ?
I really like the black body/orange frame look of the R model.

What handguards do you have mounted up ?
they look pretty nice, any trouble mounting them ?
does the taller windscreen help any ?
I am picking up my new 07 standard model tomorrow in anthracite grey and will get some pictures up as soon as I can.
hope to get a few miles on her Sunday, gotta work Saturday.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #42
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
the R has a higher rev limit. power peak is 250rpm higher. people have dynoed R bikes at 130rwhp. whereas the SD dynos around 115. due to the "special" equal length akra header (and other mods) the SDR has just about the same torque curve but a better top end.

I have the acerbis hand guard. they have LED signals. mounts at the bar end only. they actually decrease vibs at the grip. I got the skidmark screen. its not as tall as the KTM hard part screen. I mainly got it for the look.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #43
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
I took my SuperDuke R to the track (Streets at Willow Springs) last weekend for the first time, and it was just amazing.

I must confess it took me a couple of sessions (and a visit to the amazing Dave Moss of Catalyst Suspension) to get grooving with the bike, but once there it was insane. It sure is different, and the fueling still leaves a lot to be desired. In a couple of weeks I'll take the bike for a PCIII, O2 removal, dyno tune to fix the fueling once and for all.

Coming out of the last very slow corner into the (short) straight other riders (I was in group B) were shocked at the speed of the SDR. Guys on 08 ZX10s had trouble catching up. I ran Bridgestone BT003s (medium) and they performed amazingly - solid and planted the whole day, with excellent wear.

Lots of fun...
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #44
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Well, here she is just picked her up today after work.
I put about 80 miles on tonight riding to dinner with some friends. brand new 07 they got from a dealer who went out of business, got a very good deal.

I will get some better photos tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 AM   #45
Bald Kirk OP
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder
Well, here she is just picked her up today after work.
I put about 80 miles on tonight riding to dinner with some friends. brand new 07 they got from a dealer who went out of business, got a very good deal.

I will get some better photos tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Looks like the start of a beautiful relationship.