Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #91
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by withiam
Anyone running Leo Vince slip-on exhaust? Did you re-map using the Akra slip-on map or did you leave it with the stock map. I've been pouring over the thread at www.superduke.net and cannot get a solid answer. It seems that there has been success both ways. A PC111 and custom map is one of the best ways to go but until then I either re-map or not.
My bike is a 2008 bone stock SD.
I would guess a lot will depend on the altitude you live and ride at? I get away with stock maps on most of my bikes because I live at 5000' and ride at 8-9000.
Bert
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #92
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
I have the factory slip on map for the Akras that I am running with my FMF's.
with out a map it will run pretty poorly lots of backfiring and popping.

I would get the factory map for slip ons and not mess with the PC3 unless you feel the need.
I find my bike runs pretty well without a PC3 so I haven't done anything else.
I did a track day last year and found the fueling was never a problem.

Leovince's are nice pipes, the FMF's are great but kinda noisy as noted even with the restrictors.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #93
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Leos

I have a Leo on my Xchallenge. It has been a great can. I had carbon Leos on my V11 LeMans and that big twin pounded the packing into submission after about 6,000 miles so it was too loud for my taste. I think I'll leave the SD stock, since I also like the heat shields on the stock cans. I'll have to wiat until I pick it up and ride it some though.
www.gnatsass.net
Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #94
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Fox
I had carbon Leos on my V11 LeMans and that big twin pounded the packing into submission after about 6,000 miles
That's more Leos then the V11, IMHO.

I'm surprised to see Leo's have such a big following in the US, while we
(close to Italy) usually slap it on if we can't afford a "good brand exhaust"
or if the stock pipe goes bad (because leo's here often cost less then stock
pipes).

Even their 2-stroke stuff, while great in performance gains.. burns out
after just a month or two (scooter stuff).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #95
vanos954
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
OK I love my Superduke but I have a question...how much did it cost everyone to do a valve adjustment at the dealer....and why is the first one at 600 miles, seems absurd. I gave my dealership the opportunity to do it, after sitting there for a week they called and said it would be $850 to CHECK the valves (adjusting would be extra of course!) and change the oil. I obviously declined, picked it up and changed the oil myself (after spending like $120 for oil and parts...doh) but am left wondering 1) Does it really need a 600 mile valve adjustment...I mean come on it sounds/runs/feels just fine and 2) How hard would it be to do the adjustment myself. I have the manual and tools, just not sure if I want to go messing with it.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?
vanos954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #96
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanos954
OK I love my Superduke but I have a question...how much did it cost everyone to do a valve adjustment at the dealer....and why is the first one at 600 miles, seems absurd. I gave my dealership the opportunity to do it, after sitting there for a week they called and said it would be $850 to CHECK the valves (adjusting would be extra of course!) and change the oil. I obviously declined, picked it up and changed the oil myself (after spending like $120 for oil and parts...doh) but am left wondering 1) Does it really need a 600 mile valve adjustment...I mean come on it sounds/runs/feels just fine and 2) How hard would it be to do the adjustment myself. I have the manual and tools, just not sure if I want to go messing with it.

You don't really need a fist valve adjustment/check until 4000 miles or so. I didn't do it for any of my 3 KTMs, and even at 4000 the valves needed little to no adjustment. I believe KTM is not even recommending the 600 mile check anymore.

Also, if there is any way find a different dealer. $850 for a valve check + oil change is insane. I don't think I've ever paid more than $400.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #97
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Valves

I have had 2 different dealers tell me not to worry until 6-8000 miles. When I need it, it will be $150 to check and $2-300 for adjustments along with other scheduled maintenance. I'd say check around for a better dealer....
Bert
www.gnatsass.net
Old 01-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #98
vanos954
Adventurer

Yeah, the dealer wanted 5.5 hours @ $105 an hour just to check the valves...seemed ridiculously high to take the tank off, pop the valve covers and prod around with some feeler gauges. I guess when 4000 miles roll around I'll put some of my tools to use and check them myself.

Unfortunately they are the only dealer around...none of the other KTM dealers deal with street bikes (that I know of)...I guess I could always take it to Atlanta?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #99
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,446
If you can do it, check them. It won't cost you anything - unless one or more are out of adjustment, but it would be good to know and maybe catch one now, ya know? No point in waiting, either.

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #100
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I haven't gotten my first service done yet either as I just hit 750 miles before the weather around here turned into something out of a Polar expedition! However, the first dealer I called (25 miles from where I live) wanted $650 for the first service and I nearly dropped the phone in shock. He did say though not to bother getting the valves checked until at least 1,000 miles. The second dealer I called (80 miles away) quoted me $300 for the first service including oil change. I think I know who I'll be going to. Fortunately, the 80 miles is out in the country so I can have some fun gettin there. I wish there was a way KTM could keep some of its dealers from charging such outrageous shop fees. When I got the first price quote I remember thinking I might as well have bought a Ducati if I wanted to spend this kind of money on shop charges. Fortunately, the other dealership is close enough that it's not too far out of my way to go to them and I don't think $300 is unreasonable at all for a valve adjustment and oil change.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanos954

Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #101
HMFIC
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Service times allotted by KTM book. Times are in minutes.

http://www.ktm.com/fileadmin/systemd...s_en_11-09.pdf
Old 01-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #102
dogfm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
KTM first service costs

I guess it depends whether you want the warranty to be valid - if the bike is not serviced in line with the manufacturer's specifications they may legitimately void the warranty.

Also if you buy a secondhand KTM are you going to pay full price if the first service in the service book is not stamped ?

When buying a KTM new it is worth negotiating the cost of the first service. Mind given the very low prices you US guys are paying I don't expect the dealer has much room to move on price.

Given any KTM (but especially the SD) is a performance machine and Ready to Race I don't think the service costs are unreasonable.
dogfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #103
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
I think my first service and valve check was $ 375.
a couple of the valves were close to the tight spec so he did pull 2 cams and change 2 shims where he wanted them clearance wise.

That being said I think location has something to do with labor rates.
I have no qualms about any work they do as they are a long time KTM/ Ducati dealer with an excellent service department.

I think the 07 bikes call for a 600 mile valve check, the 08's I think they changed the first valve check.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #104
Rsquared
Echo

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfm
I guess it depends whether you want the warranty to be valid - if the bike is not serviced in line with the manufacturer's specifications they may legitimately void the warranty.
Fortunately, that does'nt apply to KTMs bought in the US, we're allowed to service our own bikes without voiding the warranty.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #105
vanos954
Adventurer

I changed the oil/filters myself at 600 miles as recommended as well as all the "check the bolts" stuff.... and haven't really ridden it since then. I guess I'll just break out the feeler gauges and check the valves when I get a free chance before I start riding again. Thanks for the price check...I just confirmed the dealer was way high...especially considering I live in the south where labor rates should be cheaper (lower overhead on rent, lower wages, etc in the south) but for some reason are not.