Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #121
DRKWNG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goose
Hey DarkWing, just in case you haven't met him yet, the guy who started this thread, Bald Kirk, sold his SD to move to Hawaii, just in case you guys haven't bumped into one another yet.

He said the same thing about the roads as you did, said a DRZ SM would be the ideal ticket for Hawaiin riding.
I haven't met him, but we sent several PMs back and forth. Too bad he got a DRZ, as there were a few 950SM's for sale not too long ago. Now that would have been a flippin' hoot down here!

2006 Ducati Sport 1000 -- Heavily Modded
2008 Triumph Daytona 675SE -- Sold
2008 KTM Super Duke -- Losing License
DRKWNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #122
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I live in Leesburg. Riding is pretty good out here because just to the west of the town is a lot of rural back roads with plenty of hills and twisties. We moved here about 7 years ago and since day one I've been amazed at how many motorcyclists are in this part of the state. If you're out on a nice day during the Spring and Fall here I'd say every 10th vehicle you see on the road is a bike (obviously this is an approximation) but whatever the number is it's way higher than anywhere else I've been.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKWNG
To tell you the truth, riding here, living here in general, isn't all you might expect. The roads are in horrible condition and there are only a few that are really worth riding on. The most fun, i.e. twistiest ones, are generally through residential areas so you are taking pretty significant risks any time you open it up while there. Over all, I am looking forward to leaving here in a few months.

Where are you in NoVa Sean?
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #123
DRKWNG
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express
I live in Leesburg. Riding is pretty good out here because just to the west of the town is a lot of rural back roads with plenty of hills and twisties. We moved here about 7 years ago and since day one I've been amazed at how many motorcyclists are in this part of the state. If you're out on a nice day during the Spring and Fall here I'd say every 10th vehicle you see on the road is a bike (obviously this is an approximation) but whatever the number is it's way higher than anywhere else I've been.

Sean
Sounds like the right place to be. I am trying to get my job to move me to DC, but I think Ft. Bragg is more likely to happen. :(

Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #124
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

I read on the Cycle World website that the standard version of the SD wasn't being imported to the U.S. for 2010 and that only the R model would be offered with the price being lowered to $13,998 MSRP.....the standard would still be available in Europe though and even in the new olive/white version. However, when I look at the KTM USA website it only shows the standard SD with no R model offered? Have you guys heard any more about this? To be honest I'm kind of surprised KTM is importing any street bikes here at all in 2010 with as poor as the market is here in the States and especially for high-end bikes. I kind of figured they'd pull a Suzuki and not even offer 2010 models.

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...rticle_id=1883

Sean
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #125
johnny555
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express
I read on the Cycle World website that the standard version of the SD wasn't being imported to the U.S. for 2010 and that only the R model would be offered with the price being lowered to $13,998 MSRP.....the standard would still be available in Europe though and even in the new olive/white version. However, when I look at the KTM USA website it only shows the standard SD with no R model offered? Have you guys heard any more about this? To be honest I'm kind of surprised KTM is importing any street bikes here at all in 2010 with as poor as the market is here in the States and especially for high-end bikes. I kind of figured they'd pull a Suzuki and not even offer 2010 models.

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...rticle_id=1883

Sean
My understanding is that new Super Dukes aren't being brought in, there are plenty of 2008 models available with the msrp being reduced to $8500.

I just checked my local dealer's web site and they have the 2008 Super Duke listed for $8995.

-johnny
johnny555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #126
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I agree, I've seen them for even lower than that. I'd like to see things turn around for KTM and the motorcycle industry in general but it certainly feels like we're a long way from that happening right now.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny555
My understanding is that new Super Dukes aren't being brought in, there are plenty of 2008 models available with the msrp being reduced to $8500.

I just checked my local dealer's web site and they have the 2008 Super Duke listed for $8995.

-johnny
Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #127
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,230
Pork-Chop loving the backroads in VA? I can imagine it. If you made a big triangle from Culpepper to Haymarket and then down to Damascus it's hard to find a bad road anywhere in there.

I'm scared to break the speed limit anymore down there, I'm told the VA police are pretty unforgiving to motorcyclists now...any truth to that?

I've heard these crazy rumors about how they target out of state riders and toss you in jail for any triple digit speeds (not that you don't deserve that by then).
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #128
DRKWNG
Adventurer

Hey Sean, looks like I will be moving to the DC area this summer after all. We'll have to get together and go rip it up.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #129
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Mr. Goose,
Yeah, it's pretty great riding out here. I haven't done the loop you're talking about yet but I will give it a try. Haymarket isn't very far away at all. Regarding the police, VA has a pretty tough reputation for nailing speeders with some nasty fines. Not being a triple digit guy myself I tend to avoid any run-ins with VA's finest (can you hear me knocking on wood right now?). I don't know if they actually target out of state riders or not but I've talked to more than one person from MD that doesn't like to drive through VA. Some even will drive around it if possible when heading south! It's funny a couple of years ago this legislation got pushed through by a VA politician who also conveniently had his own legal firm that specialized in representing people with traffic violations. The law basically said that if you exceed the speed limit by 20MPH or more you could be ticketed not just for speeding but for reckless driving. The penalties were outrageous with fines and taxes (yes, they could even levy taxes against you) in excess of $3,000! The public outcry was so great that they revoked the legislation within the same year. Here's the thing though, the extra fines only applied to in state drivers. So that was one case where they punished state residents much harder than out of state drivers.

I have to give credit where it's due though and our local police force is tops in my book. A couple of years ago I woke up to the sound of some neighborhood punk who was breaking my fence up with his bare hands at about 1:00AM. I called the police and no kidding within 2 minutes while I was still on the phone with the dispatcher two officers pulled up, sprinted through my yard and nabbed the little SOB red handed........litterally red handed, his knuckles were covered in blood because he had been punching pressure treated 1" thick pickets into pieces. Tough little $&$&%er! Anyway, I'm not sure what this has to do with bikes but it's semi-interesting story anyway and for all the police that get a bad rap for not doing their job these guys are first rate. I now donate to the FOP every year. Now if this Spring they lay some monster ticket on me for going 10MPH over the speed limit then I reserve the right to take back all the nice stuff I just said about them!

MD has got some nice riding too. My Dad lives outside of Knoxville, MD and he has got some amazing bike routes that he/we ride up that way. Dad's one of those older guy riders that's kind of deceptively fast. Not that he's a street racer or anything but he goes quick enough that I cringe a little when I watch him whip through the turns. Somehow he manages to go pretty fast even though his lean angle is never more than say 20 degrees. Not sure how he manages that? It must be a skill you acquire as an older dude.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goose
Pork-Chop loving the backroads in VA? I can imagine it. If you made a big triangle from Culpepper to Haymarket and then down to Damascus it's hard to find a bad road anywhere in there.

I'm scared to break the speed limit anymore down there, I'm told the VA police are pretty unforgiving to motorcyclists now...any truth to that?

I've heard these crazy rumors about how they target out of state riders and toss you in jail for any triple digit speeds (not that you don't deserve that by then).
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #130
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

DRKWNG,
I can't wait! I'm not sure when you're getting to the DC area but I'll warn you it's going to be a bit of a shock compared to HI. We're supposed to get our second 20" snow storm in the past month this Friday/Saturday. I guess that makes a person enjoy the Spring riding season more than ever though. Everyone is practically dying of cabin fever around here.

It's funny, I've never once seen another Super Duke on the streets out here. As far as "exotic" streetfighters go I've seen 1 Speed Triple and 1 Aprilia Tuono. So when we go riding it will effectively double the number of Super Dukes seen on the streets of DC/Northern VA! The vast majority of bikes around here are Harleys, there's also a fairly large number of inline 4 sportbikes, and the occasional 848's and 999's but never ever a Super Duke. It's about time someone changes that!

Sean

Quote:
Hey Sean, looks like I will be moving to the DC area this summer after all. We'll have to get together and go rip it up.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #131
DRKWNG
Adventurer

I won't actually be up there until late spring, so it will have thawed out by then, but I am used to cold weather; lived in Europe for seven years before coming to Hawaii.

I've been through DC several times in the last couple of years as well and know a fair number of the Ducati guys in the area up there. I'm sure the SD will fit in quite nicely.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #132
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

You've got great timing. Late Spring is some of the nicest weather we have and seven years in Europe is all the conditioning you'll need to prepare yourself for Winter here. Actually, it's not usually this bad but for some reason this year has been just one snow storm after another.

I agree there's a decent number of Ducati riders out this way. I guess it's just that there are SO MANY Harley's it makes every other brand look like it's under-represented. With you owning both a Ducati and an SD you'll have all the bases covered........that is unless you want a Harley too.

Sean

Quote:
I won't actually be up there until late spring, so it will have thawed out by then, but I am used to cold weather; lived in Europe for seven years before coming to Hawaii.

I've been through DC several times in the last couple of years as well and know a fair number of the Ducati guys in the area up there. I'm sure the SD will fit in quite nicely.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #133
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
new bling

bar risers,wp decals,wheel tape,gold chain,40t sprocket,fiber rr fender !
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #134
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,376
KTM track day

You folks know about this?

http://www.ktm.com/KTM-News.223.20.h...ash=9662670bdf

$275 track day on KTM's KTMs . Couple of us 950SM folks will be doing the 7/7 session just before Vintage Days.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #135
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,230
hey JCarl, you'll have to let me know how you like those Bridgestones - I have a set in the closet just waiting for the Spring temperatures.

they look very promising.
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote