Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
markgsnw OP
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,554
Garmin software: transferring licenses?

I have a 2610 that I want to give to my son-in-law, along with the City Nav software. Garmin says I can give the 2610 to him and they're OK to transfer ownership, but the City Nav software cannot be transferred to another owner.

I say: WTFUWT? I don't think I've seen a software EULA that makes ownership non-transferrable. Was the Garmin rep perhaps mistaken? Has anyone actually done this?

Not to mention the absurdity of the new owner having to pay more for the software then the GPS is worth :=0

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,214
Doesn't make sense to me. The software is locked to the device after you register it so how could you use it on a new device?

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:22 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,617
Might want to call them again. Even as good as their support can be, sometimes there are people who are better than others.

I think what you want to do is transfer the unit, and a single user copy of CN. I'd think you could do that. I could see there being a problem if you tried to split a license, like City Select, where you could have 2 units licensed from 1 purchase.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
dbrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
I have a 2610 that I want to give to my son-in-law, along with the City Nav software. Garmin says I can give the 2610 to him and they're OK to transfer ownership, but the City Nav software cannot be transferred to another owner.
"Non-transferable" was stated in the license agreement that was presented when I recently installed some Garmin mapping software. I had to check "agree" in order to proceed with the installation.

dbrown screwed with this post 03-24-2009 at 12:07 PM
dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
DNTOUCH
Need more time to ride.

Oddometer: 785
Old thread but on the order of my question.

If i buy a used GPS (Garmin 60 csx) am i going to have a hard time using the topo maps? Will i need the previous users info?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
beck49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Maybe this will help. Here is the answer I got from Garmin two days ago when I asked about the implications of buying a used 2720.

When purchasing a used Garmin device, please ensure if the seller had registered the device previously to unregister it from his account. This will allow for you to register the device in your account and purchase updated maps for the device in the future. Unfortunately, the CN 2010.20 is no longer available due to our newest release of 2010.40 CN. If you would like to update the maps for the device, you would need to purchase our latest maps.

The 2720 comes preloaded with the maps. You do not have to unlock the device to use it. However, you would need a 25 character unlock code to unlock the maps if it includes the DVD/CD.
If you purchased the device without a DVD/CD, it would not be a problem. The CD mapping software is to install the program to your computer. It would not decrease the functionality of the device.
beck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
DNTOUCH
Need more time to ride.

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck49
Maybe this will help. Here is the answer I got from Garmin two days ago when I asked about the implications of buying a used 2720.

When purchasing a used Garmin device, please ensure if the seller had registered the device previously to unregister it from his account. This will allow for you to register the device in your account and purchase updated maps for the device in the future. Unfortunately, the CN 2010.20 is no longer available due to our newest release of 2010.40 CN. If you would like to update the maps for the device, you would need to purchase our latest maps.

The 2720 comes preloaded with the maps. You do not have to unlock the device to use it. However, you would need a 25 character unlock code to unlock the maps if it includes the DVD/CD.
If you purchased the device without a DVD/CD, it would not be a problem. The CD mapping software is to install the program to your computer. It would not decrease the functionality of the device.

Thanks.... Looks like it was never registered and i am getting the disks.

The stars aligned with this purchase (finally).....