User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #181
CycleRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Another Zumo

Zumo 550 with stock mount, clamped on with a RAM mount.

CycleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #182
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
Around and above the dash. I am thinking that area suffers more vibration that the handlebar.
Even with my setup only secured at the bottom - not attached to the touring windscreen support - vibrations aren't a problem.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #183
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Cool2 Garmin Mounting Cradle for Nuvi 500/550

Here's my garmin mounting cradle for the nuvi 550.
linky
You can see how there's a holder for the mini (or micro?) USB power cable.
It's nice to have a holder if you aren't taking a gps, like when you're just commuting to work.
Also, the area where the cable plugs into the gps device is covered a bit, which is good for the rain. The nuvi 500/550 are waterproof, of course.
I went ahead and put some dielectric grease on the plug.
This is better than the cradle from RAM. That cradle doesn't have the plug holder and cover. Just FYI!!

inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #184
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282

60CX on rammount attached to handlebar. no issues off-road
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #185
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Not many ( any?) pics of the new BMW IV Nav mountedd.

I just got one and to go on the new 800gs and am confused at the options .. It comes with a "mounting cradle" so what else do I need to mount this 800 dollar map low, cented and to the handle bar mounts? Cant be that much more expensive or complicated.. can it? I really dont want to pay the dealer another 100 bucks to hard wire it and mount it. At that point I will just take it back and make the old nuvi I have work with a 38 dollar mount and hard wire job..
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #186
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
linky
It's nice to have a holder if you aren't taking a gps, like when you're just commuting to work.
Also, the area where the cable plugs into the gps device is covered a bit, which is good for the rain. The nuvi 500/550 are waterproof, of course.
This is better than the cradle from RAM. That cradle doesn't have the plug holder and cover. Just FYI!!

+1 on the Nuvi 550. I use it as well. Cheap ($250) and actually waterproof. I can't imagine buying a GPS for a motorcycle that's not waterproof. Seems kind of pointless.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #187
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
+1 on the Nuvi 550. I use it as well. Cheap ($250) and actually waterproof. I can't imagine buying a GPS for a motorcycle that's not waterproof. Seems kind of pointless.
None of my motorcycles are waterproof.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #188
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
lmao now that's funny, I don't care who you are.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #189
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Funny post, ha.. ha.. ha.., but with all your "non waterproof bikes", have you ever ridden them in the rain? Have you ever had one "short out" in the rain? Or have any sudden electrical problem in the rain?

Probably not. That's because (I can't believe I'm having to explain this ) motorcycles are designed to be able to handle rain. Just like cars are. Ever hear a motorcycle manufacturer say "just one thing: don't ride this bike in the rain". Nope.

If you don't ever ride in the rain, that's one thing. Kind of wussy, but one thing nonetheless.

Bolt on a non-waterproof GPS and get into the rain out on a ride or on a trip. See how long your non-waterproof GPS lasts.

Me? I keep riding no matter what. Rain or shine. And I don't want to have to remove and stow my GPS just because of some rain. I'd like to continue to use it, even in the rain. So for me waterproof GPS +1 non-waterproof GPS 0.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #190
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
Clearly having a waterproof GPS is the best solution. For those of us who choose not to spend the big bucks however a large 5 inch touch screen Gramin 1490 can be had for $200 factory reconditioned. I bought one of these last winter and used it in all summer. It evan got rained on briefly before I put it in my tank bag,,,still working on internal battery.
I like the bigger screen..easier to see. the touch function works well with gloves...and I do like the low cost. I can trash 2 or 3 or maybe 4 for the price of a "waterproof" GPS.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #191
CycleRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
For the Money

I did have a Zumo 550, but now, I too, have a Garmin 1490T. I love the large screen and all of the features that I have gotten for $250 (and yes, it can be found for less). This includes lifetime maps and free traffic. The large 5 inch display is great, the colors are bright, and there is some flexibility in what you display on the main map screen.

FOR THE PRICE, I find this to be a great option. The Zumo 550 was great when I had dreams of riding out in the Moab area, but when I came back to reality and faced the fact that most of my riding will be done in dry weather and that my eyesight is failing, I got practical.

T...
CycleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #192
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,971
obviously you missed the point that in your original post you talked about waterproof motorcycles and not waterproof GPSs.

lighten up Francis

Quote:
Funny post, ha.. ha.. ha.., but with all your "non waterproof bikes", have you ever ridden them in the rain? Have you ever had one "short out" in the rain? Or have any sudden electrical problem in the rain?

Probably not. That's because (I can't believe I'm having to explain this ) motorcycles are designed to be able to handle rain. Just like cars are. Ever hear a motorcycle manufacturer say "just one thing: don't ride this bike in the rain". Nope.

If you don't ever ride in the rain, that's one thing. Kind of wussy, but one thing nonetheless.

Bolt on a non-waterproof GPS and get into the rain out on a ride or on a trip. See how long your non-waterproof GPS lasts.

Me? I keep riding no matter what. Rain or shine. And I don't want to have to remove and stow my GPS just because of some rain. I'd like to continue to use it, even in the rain. So for me waterproof GPS +1 non-waterproof GPS 0.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #193
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
obviously you missed the point that in your original post you talked about waterproof motorcycles and not waterproof GPSs.

lighten up Francis
I get it now! Wow am I slow. Too much egg nog infused with Bacardi me thinks.

Sorry friends!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #194
Pyranha7
Shiny Side Up, Right?

Oddometer: 15
Garmin 60CSX with RAM Mount

Mounted on clamp - not a big fan of the handlebar mounts. It navigated me from Denver to Canada on the Continental Divide Trail. No problems with the RAM mount or GPS after dropping the bike a few times. I have not had to adjust a thing since the day I put the set up on the bike.

Photobucket

2010 BMW F800GS

South Park's 12th episode of their 13th season is proof that there is still some truth in television.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...e12-the-f-word
Pyranha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #195
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Well I've been riding around a bit with this mount.
The usb plug pops out of its holder every once in a while.
This kinda pisses me off. Especially for the price you pay for the whole Garmin setup.
The main problem comes from Garmin using a usb plug as a power outlet.
I don't think I have ever had a Garmin product that I've liked 100%

My only solace is that Garmin competes in a dieing industry and is losing market share to smart phones......
If Mr. Garmin was right next to me I'd kick him in the nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
linky

inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote