Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #226
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn View Post
It should be attached to the battery tie-down bar under your air-box cover. It will have a blank cover that needs to be removed before plugging in.
Thanks.

Feeling pretty dumb about now. I was looking low and in front after reading an R11/12 thread jumping off the feed for lighting up a fuse block (my plan too.) Talk was of it being tucked away - not so on the 8gs.

Here I'd been moving it all around while installing new battery.

I'm going to use the BMW repair connector to avoid cutting up the harness. Hot will connect to CANBUS safe switching lead giving me fused power for gps, aux lights, chargers, outlets etc. in one tight, light and quick to isolate package.

Hopefully this week.

The snake:

No hack harness:

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 05:03 PM
Sutherngintelmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #227
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 361
[QUOTE=outpostbabu;9436660]
Here's what the mount looks like by itself:

F800GS gps mount install 005

Totally off subject, but I've been looking at some of the pictures in this thread and wondering if a plate style bracket like this that ties together all four bar clamp bolts might reduce the tendency for the bars to get twisted in the clamps in a crash. What seems to happen to me a lot is that when one end of the handle bar hits the ground, the bars twist the clamps in their vibration isolating mounts at the top triple clamp and as they do each clamp rotates a bit on the bar so that when I pick the bike up & continue on the bars are cockeyed. Eventually I have to stop and loosen the clamps, straighten the bars & re-torque. I know I am not alone in this.

It looks to me like one of these plates would prevent that, since all the bolts & hence the clamps would have to remain in fixed relationship to eachother. can anyone who has one of these mounted comment? Before & after crash experiences?
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #228
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

GPS mount fit for Ralle Moto - thanks for idea kkesp.

Add of the dampener meant refit of TT mount. Tap new and lengthier aluminum rod. Add longer, costly TT 65mm special bolts. I found the collar of the TT bolts about 5 mm short and needed bushing with od small enough to drop into RM top clamp and id large enough for thread of bolt to pass.

Custom

TT cradle for Zumo 4/550.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #229
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
How did you mount on the Mirage 2

Hey Miikka.. love that set up. I just got the Mirage 2 and I want to mount my Zumo to the dash but cannot figure out what bracket and how to get the wiring thru the fairing.? Did you have to do some drilling?
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #230
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
Hey Miikka.. love that set up. I just got the Mirage 2 and I want to mount my Zumo to the dash but cannot figure out what bracket and how to get the wiring thru the fairing.? Did you have to do some drilling?
Friend of mine just bolted a lockable TT Zumo cradle on his Mirage. (mine is gpsmap276 with a really old cradle)
You do have to drill holes through the dash for the cradle. Power cable can be routed without holes, but I believe my friend chose to route that within Mirage and then through the dash to the cradle.
Sorry, no pics available at the moment.

-m
Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #231
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Zumo TT cradle on Mirage2

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309475286.470238.jpg
Views: 2361
Size:  100.0 KB

-m
Old 06-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #232
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309475565.914742.jpg
Views: 2358
Size:  128.5 KB

-m
Old 07-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #233
opas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
My Zumo 220

Old 08-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #234
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,701
My Montana on my 800GS:

The Montana is a cross between a Zumo and an Oregon, pretty much. It has many configuration options that it's sure to have a setup for virtually anyone. It even has a "Nuvi" mode to those used to seeing Nuvi/Zumo type screens. No Bluetooth or FM transmitter but the "rugged" mount has a 1/8" audio output socket as part of the power cable/voltage reducer.

The lockable 'rugged' cradle seems solid, and is sure cheap enough, at just a little over $30. It's not included with the basic Montana. The cradle also comes with a rubber cover to place over the connectors so they don't get dirty if the gps is off.

I used a RAM ball on the handlebars, to a short arm with the knob normally used to adjust the arm replaced by a 1/4" coarse self locking nut. Not much point in having a locking cradle if the whole thing can quickly be removed... Needing a tool to remove it makes it a tiny bit more secure from theft.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #235
davelouw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Battery Draining with Garmin and Harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post

No hack harness:

Anyone else get serious battery drain when the harness shown above is paired with a Gamin like a Zumo 220? The unit powers off about 30 seconds after I turn off the bike. I even disconnect the GPS and take it with me. But it seems like something about the power converter is causing a moderate drain on the battery. It'll go all the way to where the bike won't start in about two days. I'm positive this is the cause because if I disconnect this harness (which I now do all the time) then I don't get any battery drain and the bike is good for weeks.

I'm happy to start up a new thread but it seems like several folks on this thread are already using this solution.

Dave.
davelouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #236
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelouw View Post
Anyone else get serious battery drain when the harness shown above is paired with a Gamin like a Zumo 220? The unit powers off about 30 seconds after I turn off the bike. I even disconnect the GPS and take it with me. But it seems like something about the power converter is causing a moderate drain on the battery. It'll go all the way to where the bike won't start in about two days. I'm positive this is the cause because if I disconnect this harness (which I now do all the time) then I don't get any battery drain and the bike is good for weeks.

I'm happy to start up a new thread but it seems like several folks on this thread are already using this solution.

Dave.
Interesting - and odd. To make sure I understand, 'I disconnect this harness' means you are a) unplugging the GPS cradle or b) unplugging the repair connector from the bike GPS outlet?

Not that I think it should matter - which isn't to say that it doesn't

I've been tinkering with this connector to GPS power outlet because I use it to power up my fuse block (write up here as install done during aux lights work) My experience is CANBUS breaks circuit after 5 or so minutes and the fuse block goes dark as it should.

Maybe take a continuity tester and see if you are getting power to the GPS outlet more than 5 or 10 minutes after disconnect - I don't beleive that you should.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #237
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
I have the Nuvi 500 and had my Battery monitoring LED light and the Garmin 12V --> 5V converter brick wired to the GPS plug. With ONLY the Battery LED wired in everything worked fine - I'd turn the key off and about 1 minute later the LED would go out (see: http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...mp-GPS-adapter )

However, once I wired in the Garmin brick I noticed the circuit was held open.
I ended up wiring the GPS brick directly to the battery - perhaps not ideal as I"m sure the brick drains a few milliamps of current even when not in use, but my bike doesn't sit very long
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #238
davelouw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Interesting - and odd. To make sure I understand, 'I disconnect this harness' means you are a) unplugging the GPS cradle or b) unplugging the repair connector from the bike GPS outlet?

Not that I think it should matter - which isn't to say that it doesn't

I've been tinkering with this connector to GPS power outlet because I use it to power up my fuse block (write up here as install done during aux lights work) My experience is CANBUS breaks circuit after 5 or so minutes and the fuse block goes dark as it should.

Maybe take a continuity tester and see if you are getting power to the GPS outlet more than 5 or 10 minutes after disconnect - I don't beleive that you should.
I shouldn't have to do either. I've tried just unplugging the Garmin from the Garmin connector (the "a" you mention) and that results in the battery still draining. It takes unplugging the BMW harness from that CANBUS plug (the "b" you mention) to keep from draining the battery. That's of course a big hassle and a pain if I forget to do it.

The only thing I can think of is that there's something goofy in the voltage conversion that's tricking the CANBUS to provide some very low level of power that's still draining the battery. You can see the box on the Garmin harness in the top middle of the following picture:

At this point I'm tempted to hook the CANBUS up to be a switch for a separate fuse block and hope that avoids the problem. Seems like a bit of overkill though so I'm looking for some advice.

Dave.
davelouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #239
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelouw View Post
At this point I'm tempted to hook the CANBUS up to be a switch for a separate fuse block and hope that avoids the problem. Seems like a bit of overkill though so I'm looking for some advice.

Dave.
I like my gps to stay on when I kill the engine so in order to move my Montana powered mount from one bike to another I soldered on a SAE molded plug to the Garmin cable, and already had the matching plug on the bike, connected directly to the battery, and that provides me a quick disconnect if the power circuitry in the cable is still drawing power...

I plan to leave the cradle connected cause I'm curious to see if it will cause any problems this way. But maybe the problem is unique to the way the Canbus reacts to still having a potential power draw?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #240
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I have the Nuvi 500 and had my Battery monitoring LED light and the Garmin 12V --> 5V converter brick wired to the GPS plug. With ONLY the Battery LED wired in everything worked fine - I'd turn the key off and about 1 minute later the LED would go out (see: http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...mp-GPS-adapter )

However, once I wired in the Garmin brick I noticed the circuit was held open.
I ended up wiring the GPS brick directly to the battery - perhaps not ideal as I"m sure the brick drains a few milliamps of current even when not in use, but my bike doesn't sit very long
how long do you think you can go before you get a dead battery?
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote