Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
Jccc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,844
Looks like the Nuvi 350 or 360, I have the 350 and works great, discontinued but you probably could still find one. I use this ram mount on my Dl-650, it's the same exact one pictured on the BMW minus the plastic clip holding onto the bars, it's very solidly built and stable.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-moun...mb149zga21.htm
Jccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,139
This is how I mounted my Garmin 60CSx on my F800GS:

I added RAM Diamond mounts on my BarkBuster handguard mounts and the setup is really solid! No vibration at all.

Whatever you get, if you're using a RAM mount, get the short stalk or else you'll have vibration problems.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #18
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee

Jeebus! Is that a phaser you got on that? Or photon torpedoes? Espresso maker too?

Make it so!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Jeebus! Is that a phaser you got on that? Or photon torpedoes? Espresso maker too?

Make it so!

David
Ok, so I like toys. The item on the right is an older Pentax video/camera, and though it all looks crowded from this view, it works and everything I need to see is visible.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,097
Anybody tried Touratech's bracket?

I'd like to clamp the Touratech's Zumo mount to something a little more permanent than my current RAM ball and arm setup. I'm pretty sure I would still be able to see the speedometer but I'm not sure about the tachometer.

Hey, Emmbeedee, I like the idea of the Spot but does it need to be mounted?
Old 03-28-2009, 04:12 AM   #21
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
Of course not, but I like to do it right if I can. This way it's always pointed in the best orientation for the signals to work, and it's not easy to steal. The nylon tie I have around it keep it from being lifted quickly, but I left it loose enough that I can just pivot it out of the way to take the SPoT with me if I want to.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:26 AM   #22
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,176
Harry, I'm only 5'9" so it would have blocked my view. I sold it and got the TT x-bar. Mounted my 2720 over on the left and can see everything.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:24 AM   #23
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
Anybody tried Touratech's bracket?

I'd like to clamp the Touratech's Zumo mount to something a little more permanent than my current RAM ball and arm setup. I'm pretty sure I would still be able to see the speedometer but I'm not sure about the tachometer.

I've got this setup with a Zumo. It does partially block the tach. I just flipped the brackets and now the bar is on the bottom. It doesn't block anymore. Good to go .
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee

I added RAM Diamond mounts on my BarkBuster handguard mounts and the setup is really solid! No vibration at all.

Whatever you get, if you're using a RAM mount, get the short stalk or else you'll have vibration problems.
What mount did you use for your SPOT?
TIA
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #25
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom
Hi, all fellas :) My first post here, but been lurking for quite some time now. Let me contribute here.

To quickly adapt your cage GPS to your bikes without spending a fortune on watertight, dust-proof solutions ...
It's called Hama Bike Hard Case and here in Poland costs as little as 15 bucks. The layout of the holes at the back is universal and matches many mounts for GPS gear, both in cars and motorcycles. And the 8 removable internal pads with velcro let you adjust the space for the GPS device. In the specs they say the thing is dedicated to bicycle and motorcycle use. Might be a good cheap alternative, huh?
Thanks!!!!

I like it! with the handle bar adapter it MIGHT fit right in the center of the handle bars....

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.de%2FHama-Bike-Hard-Universal-Schwarz%2Fdp%2FB0015L5P0S&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=de|en|

A casual search didn't turn up any USA vendors.... I'll look some more...

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #26
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike
I've got this setup with a Zumo. It does partially block the tach. I just flipped the brackets and now the bar is on the bottom. It doesn't block anymore. Good to go .
Thanks folks. I thought about a crossbar but I'll admit to just liking the look of the bracket...
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #27
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Of course everyone has seen this pretty basic setup, but I'm really pleased with it, RAM mount with the short arm and TT mount (even though my butt hurt a little after paying the toys TT fee). The fact that it locks is pretty worthless if you don't get the extra RAM locking nut (because then if you locked the TT mount, someone could still come up and undo your mount and walk off with it). But the TT does ensure the mount won't be the weak point that gives in the event of... something... But I really like the RAM mount, being able to put the garmin at any angle at any place on the bars. Works out nicely.

Furthermore, I bought a Garmin power cable and a CANbus cable, so once I solder them together I'll have it powered through the CANbus terminal on top of the battery.

The 60Csx isn't the best option in any situation (it IS a small screen), but it's a great option in all situations. Plus I use it a lot on the military side of life, so it's my little do everything. In a couple weeks I'll be purchasing the Wanderlust map data from smellybiker.com once version 2 comes out. Hell of a lot better than Garmin's worldmap...

US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #28
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Mine

RAM mount attached to the BMW touring screen support. I moved it up recently. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it doesn't block the idiot lights at all. I positioned it more vertical and there is less glare. Now that I have good software and my maps converted to my Mac to route plan I'm very content with this setup. The OR has worked out very well for me both on and off the bike.

Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
SBloke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday
TIA

That's just what I'm wondering... I didn't know they made mounts for these things.
SBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #30
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday
TIA

The SPoT holder fits on this "RAM Mount Plastic Handlebar Rail Mount and Direct Swivel Diamond Base". It's not recommended for motorcycle use but I think it's going to work just fine - and I have a tether on the SPoT in case the mount does break, anyway.