Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #31
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
There is no need to mount your SPOT anywhere. It is an emergency beacon. Put it in a pack or pannier and pull it when you need it. Mounting it is just plain dumb IMO.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #32
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
+1 True

Hahaha!

Not true. From my understanding, in addition to being an emergency beacon you can allow friends or family to track your location/progress and also has a check button that allows you to send an "I'm safe" message.

But in all fairness, I think I would rather have it on my person, than mounted on the bike. I doubt if I'm in an accident that I will not be thrown far from the bike. I also doubt that I will be able to walk back to the bike with my broken legs. Hence, I want it and the cyanide capsules on my body.
761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #33
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
There is no need to mount your SPOT anywhere. It is an emergency beacon. Put it in a pack or pannier and pull it when you need it. Mounting it is just plain dumb IMO.
If you think it's an emergency beacon you obviously don't know what the SPoT is.

And considering how long it can take to "Cold Start" I'd rather have it on and running, ready to use while I carry it if it's needed for an emergency.

Besides, I didn't ask for your opinion.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 03-28-2009 at 07:57 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #34
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by 761
Not true. From my understanding, in addition to being an emergency beacon you can allow friends or family to track your location/progress and also has a check button that allows you to send an "I'm safe" message.

But in all fairness, I think I would rather have it on my person, than mounted on the bike. I doubt if I'm in an accident that I will not be thrown far from the bike. I also doubt that I will be able to walk back to the bike with my broken legs. Hence, I want it and the cyanide capsules on my body.
And I wouldn't want to land on the SPoT unit so that's why I mounted it. The largest hard part I want to carry on me is a cell phone...
Old 03-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #35
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
SPoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
If you think it's an emergency beacon you obviously don't know what the SPoT is.
+1 on that if you use the tracking feature. I'm not sure you would have to mount it though, but you wouldnt want it in a metal pannier either.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #36
Lindeberg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:

The SPoT holder fits on this "RAM Mount Plastic Handlebar Rail Mount and Direct Swivel Diamond Base". It's not recommended for motorcycle use but I think it's going to work just fine - and I have a tether on the SPoT in case the mount does break, anyway.

Which hand guards are you using? I liked the RAM-mount directly to the hand guard mount.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #37
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindeberg
Which hand guards are you using? I liked the RAM-mount directly to the hand guard mount.
BarkBusters - I detailed the process here: BarkBusters = RAM Base Mounting Point
Old 03-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #38
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
Talking

Quote:
+1 on that if you use the tracking feature. I'm not sure you would have to mount it though, but you wouldnt want it in a metal pannier either.
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/01/s...nger_perso.php
  • Alert 9-1-1 – Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location
  • Ask for Help – Request help from friends and family in your exact location
  • Check In – Let contacts know where you are and that you’re OK
  • Track Progress – Send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using Google Maps™
It IS a GPS emergency beacon. You defeat its primary purpose by mounting it on the bike. When you're injured and laying 20 or more feet from the bike and can't get to it!

The best spot for a SPOT would be one of the chest pockets on your riding jacket.

Read up on devices before you start claiming things about them. I have a SPOT. Invaluable device.

The Griz screwed with this post 03-29-2009 at 12:42 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #39
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
My SPOT seems to need a clear sky view. It doesn't work from inside a pocket from my experience.
I don't use the tracking, so I just send when I know I'll be stopped for a while.
Just duct tape the fucking thing to your faceshield and be done w/ it.
It will be on your person AND you'll know it's there.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #40
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

The best place for my SPoT is where I decide to put it.

I don't feel like landing on it and perhaps even breaking it in the process, let alone hurting myself so if it's all the same to you, I'll make the decision. I usually ride within my own limits and rarely alone anyway so someone will be able to get to it when the time comes.

And it's going to be fairly useless if it's off when I need it and I have to power it up and wait until it finds itself before I can send a help or 911 message.

So you're welcome to use yours as you see fit but yours is not the only way.

And I've been using mine since December and have read the manuals so I know what it'll do. The other poster said to leave it off til I need it and that's bad advice.

Quote:
Read up on devices before you start claiming things about them. I have a SPOT. Invaluable device.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthGlick
RAM mount attached to the BMW touring screen support. I moved it up recently. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it doesn't block the idiot lights at all. I positioned it more vertical and there is less glare. Now that I have good software and my maps converted to my Mac to route plan I'm very content with this setup. The OR has worked out very well for me both on and off the bike.
I tried this, but my handlebars and barkbusters hit the ram mount or gps.

I guess I have to just suck it up and mount it to the handlebars.

Glad you got it to work, I'm jealous.
I am actually regretting the barkbusters, they seem to be getting in the way of EVERYTHING I try and do to the bike!
761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #42
3Rugrs4GA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,267
The best location for the Spot

I've been told the best location to look for the the G-SPOT is appx 3" up on the forward wall, and to use the come hither motion. That would be much more fun to debate, rather than the location of a beacon.
3Rugrs4GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #43
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
My 2 cents; I can see the point of if the spot's main purpose is for emergency protection then it should be placed on the body so it's always within hands reach.
That said, I plan on getting a spot for my big upcoming trip with it's main reason/use to be so that girlfriend/friends/fam back home can track my progress, and since the chip in it isn't high sensitivity, it needs to be mounted somewhere on the bike (or taped to the top of my helmet? Not happening). Now if I get into a jam and use it for its emergency-ness, well great, but my use will be for tracking and will thus necessitate being mounted in a position like his (or more likely in the mapcase on top of my tank bag).
But my final word? Hakuna-matata MFers. Lo que paso, paso
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #44
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Recommendation

Quote:
The best spot for a SPOT would be one of the chest pockets on your riding jacket.
Not!
It was recommended by Grant Johnson of Horizons Unlimited that you not carry your camera (and by inference, your Spot) in your left chest pocket (on top of your heart). Your chances on landing on it may be small, but he knows of two travellers who died, partially because of landing on the camera in the chest pocket and damaging their heart.
FWIW
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #45
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47
Not!
It was recommended by Grant Johnson of Horizons Unlimited that you not carry your camera (and by inference, your Spot) in your left chest pocket (on top of your heart). Your chances on landing on it may be small, but he knows of two travellers who died, partially because of landing on the camera in the chest pocket and damaging their heart.
FWIW
Never thought about that and I carry my camera in the top left-hand pocket. I'll change.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote