Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #40126
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
They were in a rush when gas was $4.00 a gallon, but then the gas dropped, and GM and Ford were focusing on small cars and of course the GM bankruptcy, and Ford's aggressive turn around plan stalled things. They should come to fruition. I don't think it is avoidable that anything that is big and tows is going to have to be mainly diesels from here on out. Things are changing quickly on the automobile front. I may get a diesel Jetta Sport Wagon next time, but may stick to gas. In Europe and Japan they get great little diesels in all types of cars. Even the Subarus have boxer 2.0 diesels over there. I would love a small SUV in AWD with a diesel. Like say a Honda CRV, or Subaru Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
My last f250 and even my f350 rode great, nice and plush. This last f250 I bought rides like there is no suspension! Its pretty rough, just ask Charlie how fun it is to ride in with a broken collarbone! And yeah I've been waiting for the new diesels to come out in the 1/2 ton, they were supposed to be out a while ago.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #40127
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,761
Back in the days when diesel was cheaper then regular gas it really made sense, but now that it's more then premium, maybe not so much. No way a diesel is worthwhile for me, I have to keep my truck on a battery tender it gets driven so little.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #40128
Elvis70 OP

If you compare the cost of diesel vs gas in the same vehicle with the same capabilities like say a jetta with the VR-6 vs. the TDI diesel even with the extra cost of diesel it is still far cheaper to operate. By a long shot. Compare a dlesel F-250 to Teds V-10 driven 15k a year, or 20k a year like I do and the cost is way less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Back in the days when diesel was cheaper then regular gas it really made sense, but now that it's more then premium, maybe not so much. No way a diesel is worthwhile for me, I have to keep my truck on a battery tender it gets driven so little.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Old 12-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #40129
Elvis70 OP

http://www.kientech.com/DR650Tools.htm

Check out this great stand Jessie is selling on his site. Scroll down below the tool kit for the DR, which is a very nice upgrade from the factory one as well. I may have to get this if I ever get back to riding.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #40130
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
Compare a dlesel F-250 to Teds V-10 driven 15k a year, or 20k a year like I do and the cost is way less.
Negative, the new diesels are hampered by emission garbage, they are getting the same mileage as my v10 AND cost 10k more at the lot! My 2001 Powerstroke got 18 to 30 mpg, my 2004 Powerstroke got 14 to 22 mpg, and the new ones get 10 to 16 or so mpg max! My V10 gets that and there are no maintenance issues like the new diesels have, which is why I chose against a diesel this time. I hear the Chevy Duramax is getting a bit better mpg, but still nothing close to the old diesels.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #40131
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
I hope not long. I gave the local dealer until Feb 1, or I will go to KS or OK to pick up the WR. It will take a while for me to farkle it up!

Get one bought! I'd look for a clean farkled one with low miles, heck even do a fly and ride would be fun! I was seeing some really nice ones out there, but lately havent seen any.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #40132
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,761
Not sure about the initial difference in costs of the engines themselves in cars, but the last time I was comparing 3/4 ton p/u's the diesels were $4K - $5K more then gas engines. I crunched the numbers back then and ended up buying a V 10 F 250 because it was a much cheaper alternative for me in the long run and that's back when diesel was cheaper then regular gas. I doubt with the cost of diesel like it is today and the fact that todays gas engines are much more efficient I would have a difference of opinion.

In Europe the reason diesel cars are so popular (BTW, LP gas powered cars are also popular there), is because diesel has been and still is cheaper then gas there. Add to that they don't have the stigma generated by diesel engine cars like we do thanks to those pathetic pieces of shit that GM put out in the 80's.

Quote:
If you compare the cost of diesel vs gas in the same vehicle with the same capabilities like say a jetta with the VR-6 vs. the TDI diesel even with the extra cost of diesel it is still far cheaper to operate. By a long shot. Compare a dlesel F-250 to Teds V-10 driven 15k a year, or 20k a year like I do and the cost is way less.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #40133
Elvis70 OP

I hadn't looked at the truck mileage these days but I guess since they are no longer allowed to spue giant clouds of black smoke that the mileage dropped a good bit. They also changed the mileage calculations in 08 and revised everything before that down under the new rules so if you are comparing EPA ratings you need to look up the new ratings for those old vehicles at fueleconomy.gov. However you may be talking actual mileage you saw with the ones you own. Waht do you get actual when you take the gallons purchased to refill devided by the miles driven? You make a lot of short drives in town so I bet it sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Negative, the new diesels are hampered by emission garbage, they are getting the same mileage as my v10 AND cost 10k more at the lot! My 2001 Powerstroke got 18 to 30 mpg, my 2004 Powerstroke got 14 to 22 mpg, and the new ones get 10 to 16 or so mpg max! My V10 gets that and there are no maintenance issues like the new diesels have, which is why I chose against a diesel this time. I hear the Chevy Duramax is getting a bit better mpg, but still nothing close to the old diesels.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #40134
Dravintoad
Toadthumpin

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
http://www.kientech.com/DR650Tools.htm

Check out this great stand Jessie is selling on his site. Scroll down below the tool kit for the DR, which is a very nice upgrade from the factory one as well. I may have to get this if I ever get back to riding.

That was on my list for Christmas, but Santa musta left that one in his sack.

I did get a new muffler. Spent the day installing it, adjusting valves, new main jet and some carb tweeks, oil change, and took er for a ride. Now I'm tired and sore, but happy it's all done now.
Dravintoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #40135
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,298
Quote:
I hadn't looked at the truck mileage these days but I guess since they are no longer allowed to spue giant clouds of black smoke that the mileage dropped a good bit. They also changed the mileage calculations in 08 and revised everything before that down under the new rules so if you are comparing EPA ratings you need to look up the new ratings for those old vehicles at fueleconomy.gov. However you may be talking actual mileage you saw with the ones you own. Waht do you get actual when you take the gallons purchased to refill devided by the miles driven? You make a lot of short drives in town so I bet it sucks.
Buddy of mine that drives a semi says they have to put an additive in when they buy fuel and it ends up really making a fuel stop expensive.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #40136
Elvis70 OP

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05...san-titan.html

Here you go Ted, very good article on the Cummins inline 4 being developed for U.S. markets. Already used overseas and in military applications.

Combined 28 mpg, and with 350 pound feet of torque at 1800 rpm . Sounds like plenty for a half ton to me.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #40137
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,354
all this talk abt truck mpg's
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #40138
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,639
Doc, just sell your HD and get a pick up.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #40139
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,529
[QUOTE=Albie;17622388 thanks to those pathetic pieces of shit that GM put out in the 80's.[/QUOTE]

I loved those motors. I was a tech at a Chevy stealership in the early and mid 80's.

I remember doing warranty swap out of engines with 80K miles on 'em. Junk, junk, junk.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #40140
mossycreek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Kewl! Good on ya Magoo! Another WR rider soon no doubt! I'd really like to have a new one but can't wear my 09 out..

I am a WR rider now. I picked up a WR450 to Dual sport. Lets See if I put 30,000 miles on it like 10 cup that would equal, 60 oil changes, a top end or 2, 30 valve clearance checks replace 6 titanium intake valves. Boy its a good thing I own a Shop .

Those WR250R's may not be a powerhouse but dang they are as reliable as a chunk of railroad iron.
mossycreek is offline   Reply With Quote