Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #48001
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
I want to say I told you so...but I think I have a few times already.
enough said.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #48002
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,311
Yeah I keep forgetting you're an Okie and not and Arkie! Sounds good, theres got to be some good munching spots in between to meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
TC:

Long before. That incident did play a factor on my hesitancy to commit to the KTM 350 EXC-F. BUT... that sucker IS one sexy piece of biking machinery!!!

We ride an '09 Ultra Classic. Thought maybe we could find a half-way meeting point... then ride to an eating place, return (or loop?), split and head off to our respective homes.

Doc: Sure, come on and join us!

Drat. Time to start getting ready to head off to work.

Vinduroman
Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #48003
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
Using your own Logic I can verify that a KTM LC4 engine is a POS.
Thats why mines going to get a Yamaha 660, I want something
Reliable. Not a paint mixer on wheels.
I agree with ya. I had an old LC4 for all of one day and took it back. But I can also name models in every manufacturers line ups that are just as big of a POS. For instance, the old Yammy FZR 1K. Biggest POS liter bike ever built. There isn't one around today that hasn't shit 2nd gear. Doesn't mean ALL Yammys are shit though does it?
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #48004
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Damn it's fun rubbing your KTM funny bone Albie!

In other news, have you ridden a KTM RC8? I'd like to straddle one of them for a few laps. I heard alot about them when they first came out, now it seems like everyone is raving about the Beemer S1000R. I wanna ride one of those too.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #48005
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,654
Quote:
^This, I'll take a few extra pounds of weight on my dual sport bike in exchange for reliability.
I am pleased to see Honda bring in a new FI 250 Dual Sport, at a low price. This bike should appeal to a wide range of people (commuters, students, weekend riders, farmers, etc...). For those who want more performance, they'll have 2K to spend on mods. The WR250 has proven to be a great ride and the long maintenance intervals are fantastic. Yamaha set the bar pretty high and I hope the Honda comes close to hanging with the Yamaha. Who knows this might be the beginning of many FI DS bikes.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #48006
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,654
This Ural thread is a gold mine...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794963

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #48007
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:

In other news, have you ridden a KTM RC8? I'd like to straddle one of them for a few laps. I heard alot about them when they first came out, now it seems like everyone is raving about the Beemer S1000R. I wanna ride one of those too.
I got to ride one of Ty Howards old RC8's in full race trim. Let me just say HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!! I'd never want to race one unles KTM was footing the bill for it like they do for him though.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #48008
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,360
Quote:
Damn it's fun rubbing your boner Albie!
omg..fixt!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #48009
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
omg..fixt!

Nope, he would never get me past his orange KTM thong!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #48010
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:

I will say this, a year or so ago I looked at a recent model KTM 450(?) EXC (I think) of some sort. According to a long-time off roading friend that told me about it, it was supposed to The Bomb in regards to farkles and performance. Had a chance to extensively test ride it. I was surprised to discover all is not perfect in the Orange World:

* I was surprised how it had no top end speed for the large bore (large bore to me).
* Very "buzzy" with vibration in the bars.
* KTM scrimped too much on durability here/there to save a few ounces.
I can only speak from experience with the RFS bikes which are well known for being bullet proof.

I agree with ya on the top end speed. Back when I still had my 06 WR 450, I could tell the KTM wasn't as strong as the WR. On the bottom end though, the KTM has the perfect torque, that along with a much better suspension allows the rear wheel to hook up really well. Great for those hard ass goat climbs.

As for the durability vs weight savings, I'm more then satisfied with the sacrifice. In almost 7K miles I've never broken anything on my EXC and I've ridden it through tons of stuff that makes Frog Bayou look like a walk in the park. At the end of the day, I want to ride, and the easier a bike is to ride, the more enjoyable the ride. The biggest plus for the KTM is handling. Both my KTM'S are by far the best handling bikes I've ridden outside of a full on race bike. Some guys are HP junkies, I'm a handling junkie. I'll spend $1K on suspension stuff before I'd drop a dime on getting more power on a bike.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #48011
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Nope, he would never get me past his orange KTM thong!
They're KTM boxers thank you. And you're right, you ain't getting past them.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #48012
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:

I did a demo ride on an RC8 at a MotoGP race a few years back. Just a few short bursts to 90mph or so. I liked it. feels alot like an Aprilia Mille. Would like to get one on a track but that won't be happening soon. I want to ride the BMW also. I think that is easy as going to a dealer and asking, just havn't done it yet.

Dirt2007 screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 02:57 PM
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #48013
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,645
Quote:
Albie blurted out:

Amazing: I actually agree with Albie on this one.

I guess by the strictist of definitions, I am, in heart and practice, a dual sport rider. I guess that makes me a bit of the odd man out here at adv.com. I also frequent a Dual Sport forum, however, these adv.com regional forums are the berries... so... I hang out most often at adv.com. (To my advantage, I might add. For example, I've already met and ridden with some pretty neat guys via these forums.)

To me, ADV riding and DS riding are two different animals. Closely related in some ways, but definitely different persuasions.

Typically, the ADV rider prefers:

* A bigger bike that is road worthy (read: Interstate/hiways), but (hopefully) can do some easy/moderate dirt to boot.

* Windscreen, saddlebags, tote bags, etc, etc, for packing what they feel are essentials for an "adventure" ride and aiding against the elements.

As I read it, most adventure bikers like to ride to the place of interest (if some distance), then hit the easy/moderate stuff to enjoy some off-hwy riding. Or, they like to route/ride dirt roads to the place of interest.

Coming from a trail rider turned dual sport rider, I want:

* The lightest practical bike that can handled lots of miles over the years. For me, anything more than a good, light 350 is wasted.

* Keep the bike business oriented. (No weight adding and potential durability/crash failure areas including windscreens, saddle bags, etc.)

* Anything that can't be packed into my extra large Handy Dandy MSR Dual Sport fanny pack OR put in a small backpack... ain't goin'. (No way I'll ever be tenting, camping, etc, off my bike.)

My concept (and practice) of dual sporting over the past decades has been to trailer to the place of interest (if more than 10-15 miles from me), unload, then hit forest roads and trails, tackling whatever I come up against out in the woods that I feel I'm capable of tackling. (That last element is tempered significantly if the wife is with me.)

Thus, I want a bike that is capable of riding Mill Creek trails or equivalent. I have ridden all over Mill Creek on Ol' Faithful and for the most part enjoyed every bit of it. (Except the time I knocked myself out kissing a tree!) Once I get a shot at Mill Creek on the WRR, I'll be highly disappointed if I can't have the same degree of ease and success on it as with my XR250R.

The above are some of the main reasons I went with the WRR. The jury is still out on whether I made a good decision!

I will say this, a year or so ago I looked at a recent model KTM 450(?) EXC (I think) of some sort. According to a long-time off roading friend that told me about it, it was supposed to The Bomb in regards to farkles and performance. Had a chance to extensively test ride it. I was surprised to discover all is not perfect in the Orange World:

* I was surprised how it had no top end speed for the large bore (large bore to me).
* Very "buzzy" with vibration in the bars.
* KTM scrimped too much on durability here/there to save a few ounces.

On that last point: For years, I have mounted/dismounted these tall bikes by leaving them on the kickstand and using the left footpeg to step up on, then swinging my leg over. (Reversing the procedure for dismounting.)

Not even giving it a thought, I did so with the KTM when finished riding. The lightweight aluminum kickstand snapped at the pivot. I offered to purchase a replacement, but was declined.

That last point made me wonder if trying to ride the lightest bike for its size was really what I needed.

Anyway, we all come from different walks of life in our riding experience. Our experiences and preferences among the dirt world will be as varied as we are. Doesn't make one's ways/preferences right or wrong... just different.

BTW: Got over 400 miles on the WRR as of today. Went for a little spin here around my parts today... just got back. These temperatures are just too good to waste! IF I have a decent night at work tonight, and I can be up and at 'em around 9 in the morning... I'm planning to head off to the Poteau Mountains for some trail riding. Likely do so again after arising on Saturday!!!

The heat will be here soon... gotta' cram in as much riding as I can.

Vinduroman
Thanks for the "short version"

Charlie
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #48014
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Yup, dual sport, railing on twisties and blasting through ATV trails and single track. Great performance and handling = SPORT. The DRZ, XRR's and WRR's can't match the EXC for any of that. BTW, McDonalds sells more hamburgers then any other restaurant in the world, don't make them good burgers.

Your probably right Albie. ktm is a great dualSport bike if you don't wanna go far or maybe if you have a support vehicle. I'm just sayin..... I don't see them out there.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #48015
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,124
Quote:
BUT keep in mind albie rides KTM's, so his opinion is already sketchy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
My opinions are based on reality and actually owning and riding what I'm talking about, not some BS I read on the internet.
Sorry Albie, you sound like a orange Kool-Aid drinker. I never new it was hallucinogenic till now.