Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #49846
Dravintoad
Toadthumpin

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrascout View Post
Maybe we should start a pool. All chip in a kitty. Place the same rear tire on bikes and record od. Person with the most miles out of the rear tire wins the pool just for fun and practice.
I'm in. I got almost 10k outta my last one.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #49847
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,320
Quote:
Maybe because you initiate a hello or conversation. Others like freindly people who initiate a hello. The same people could see me as stuck up because I am a bit quite at first. Then someone like Ted says hi and regrets it because I won't shut up.
Thats funny. You know I used to be pretty shy and had trouble talking to people, I figured out not too long ago that I just dont give a f*ck and thats helped my conversation starting alot.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #49848
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Holy hell Doc, you're disgusting.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #49849
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Holy hell Doc, you're disgusting.

One more like that and the ignore list gains a new member.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #49850
crazyapple92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Thanks for the welcome! Did I pass the audition? (See that's a Beatles reference right there, which might imply that I too am an old phart who still thinks he's 20 and therefore gets in over his head.)

I wish it was the stator. I'm afraid it's more like a cam, followers and a crank.

I can't quite explain my affection for Huskies either. It's a sickness, really, They don't return the love.
Haha, now that you mention it I think I just like anything husky. Really like Husky bikes. Siberian Huskies are more of a life partner than a pet, love those little guys. And I like me the husky ladies too!!!

No, no I don't. Just needed to be clear on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravintoad View Post
That's funny shit right there.

Sorry you're havin a tough time finding some riding partners. I'm sure once this heat/drought goes away, there will be more of rides planned around here.
Nah, I've got some guys I ride with every now and again. Problem is they aren't really into the whole off road aspect of it. Sure they'll blast through a graveyard with me (respectfully of course) but talk about going and finding some fire roads and they all turn into sheep... or goats... Nah, goats aren't afraid of anything, they'll stick it in their mouth without a second thought.

And they don't really like riding long distances or going on adventures to random places.

Which is strange because that's kind of what riding bikes is all about...

Quote:
Yep I gotta agree on some of the BMW riders being rude...or odd...whatever they are. The employees are awesome at Bentonville. I dont know if the riders think they are better than everybody, or what. I dont fit in to the usual beemer type at all, but it seems like maybe the typical beemer rider is getting a bit younger and more friendly.
Agreed, BMW riders are elitist snobs, especially that tcourdin guy!

I jest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
thats odd, I just stroll past the sales folks into the parts counter, and the parts folks are always nice to me.
Well let me explain it's not like they're down right rude to me. But I've been there a handful of times and have not once been greeted or had someone offer to answer any questions or make friendly banter.

And about half the times I go there the guy at the desk is on the phone the entire time, like today.

Went there today and surprise surprise there was a big group of BMW riders there.

But the BMW guys usually are friendly enough to ask what I ride. When I answer they just lose all interest and walk off. That's why I say they're elitist, if you're not on a BMW they're not interested.

It just rubs me the wrong way, I have hardcore Harley guys who look like they rolled right out of Sons of Anarchy chat me up all the time. I've never hand a friendly conversation with a BMW rider.

Quote:
It's called a lot of practice if you are not born/raised with the abilty to be SMOOTH.

I once heard of someone getting 36,000 miles out of a chain and sprocket set on a sport bike. I know I never could because I tend towards rapid change in speed both increaseing and decreaseing. But smooth more consistent speed changes will get to a lot more tire, chain and sprocket life.

So if you want to be good to the resources practice a lot of smooth steady transitions. If not just say heck with it and spend a little more time changing tires, chains, and sprockets.

Sort of like trigger squeeze versious rapid pulls. Some get more out nof using little to preciously place one shoot, some like to just pull and count on one of several bullets getting close to the right area. Good to praactice some of both if you have the time and resources.

Maybe we should start a pool. All chip in a kitty. Place the same rear tire on bikes and record od. Person with the most miles out of the rear tire wins the pool just for fun and practice.
But that's boooooring! I don't know about the rest of you but I drive a gas guzzler, so I baby the throttle and focus on driving as smooth as possible so I can get 13 MPG instead of 12. And it's no fun at all. I got the bike so I could go out and have fun on it. And it's cheap, tires are a hundred bucks or so once a year, gas is nothing in this little bike (70 MPG, sometimes 80, 60 If I ride like like there's no tomorrow), and insurance is covered by a months worth of change I let build up in my car. And the bike doesn't need much in the way of maintenance either, and what it does I'll handle myself.

Point is this, why try to baby something that's meant to be rode hard. And all to save less money a year than you spend on haircuts? Seems silly to me! Ride hard! Burn through tires! And have fun trying new ones out to see what lasts longest!

And dang you guys post a lot in no time flat!
crazyapple92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #49851
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,690
Quote:
Where are you fools trailering out and unloading at?

Us "fellow" fools are trailing to Cascade, Colorado and riding from there across Coloardo up to Flaming Gorge and Dinosaur.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #49852
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyapple92 View Post
And dang you guys post a lot in no time flat!
It takes a lot posts to keep Doc's posts off the front page.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #49853
crazyapple92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
You guys are riding Pikes Peak???????!!!!! Color me jealous!
crazyapple92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #49854
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,773
Quote:
Oh hell no, I'm not throwing away money on a losing effort.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #49855
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Quote:
Well let me explain it's not like they're down right rude to me. But I've been there a handful of times and have not once been greeted or had someone offer to answer any questions or make friendly banter.

And about half the times I go there the guy at the desk is on the phone the entire time, like today.
See thats odd, the guy up front at the desk is the nicest guy I think I've ever met. Heck I rolled up there one day on a CBR1000RR and said I want to look at a 1200GS as I know nothing about them, he threw me the keys to one and rolled it out the front door and said "have fun"!

He does get bombarded by phone calls, heck he's the only Beemer dealer around and has alot of people calling him i'm sure.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #49856
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,773
Quote:
Where are you fools trailering out and unloading at?
Cascade.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #49857
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Oh hell no, I'm not throwing away money on a losing effort.
Says the KTM rider...

nlp

Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #49858
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Quote:
I've never hand a friendly conversation with a BMW rider.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #49859
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain View Post
Says the KTM rider...

nlp
ZING!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #49860
Dravintoad
Toadthumpin