Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #53956
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,264
Might be BS but it makes a good story. Hmmmm, but since there were no pictures of the tipping process it didn't happen so maybe it is BS
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #53957
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,453
Hell, I tipped her extra for the nice cleavage shot I got while she was cleaning up the mess.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #53958
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Might be BS but it makes a good story. Hmmmm, but since there were no pictures of the tipping process it didn't happen so maybe it is BS

This is true.
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #53959
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
I can give him one piece of advice. Get a college degree in something useful as well as the ratings. If he has a business degree it will help him immeasurably when it comes to moving up in the company beyond just the cockpit, i.e. chief pilot, director of ops, management, etc.

I am a helicopter guy, so know little of the fixed wing contacts. Tell him it is vital that he stay in touch with as many of his fellow student pilots, and any one else he meets that is in the business. Networking is crucial. These friends will get you a job sometime down the road. A friend I met at the Robinson Helicopter safety course got me my first turbine job flying tours and that quickly got me on in the Gulf of Mexico. Making a livable wage for the first time as a pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
I have a good friend with a son who wants to work in aviation. He will graduate high school this year and plans to attend college to get a commercial pilot lincense. He has already soloed and is working on IFR and night flight certification. Do any of you pilots have any suggestions or contacts he can get with to futher his career.
Thanks, Craig
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #53960
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Do you fly commercially?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
PM sent to avoid posting too long a reply to your post.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #53961
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I have flown in the military, government and commercially about 43 years, 22,000 + hours, helicopters and fixed wing. Stopped flying commercially when I turned 65 two years ago. Trying to learn how to have some fun for a change. Worldwide, every hotel looks the same from the room, or sleeping in tents in the backwoods on operations for the DEA, USFS, BLM, oil exploration, production ops in GOM, Alaska, etc.. Owned an FBO and 17 aircraft and helicopters for awhile. It is a great career but you have to get used to being away from home for months at a time on some ops. I prefer helos to fixed wing just for the sheer ability to work the machine in such a wide variety or missions. I still have a Bell 206L4 Long Ranger but have it leased to a friend of mine in Alaska. Will probably sell it when it comes off lease. Sold my Air Tractor 802A to a guy in Australia a couple of years ago. It was set up as a SEAT (single engine air tanker) for forest fire work. Sold the Bell 212 to a company in Chile when it came off lease to Pemex which brings up the ole quote that "to make a small fortune in aviation start with a large fortune"

I have been looking at getting the Super Cub kit from the boys in Texas and building a little hot rod tail dragger to get in and out of short strips. Constant speed prop, Vortex generators, bush tires and tail wheel, IO-360, etc. My wife will probably have a fit although she is a licensed pilot also.

Fly Safe,
Roger Sadler
ATP, A&P, IA

Helipilot screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 07:25 PM
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #53962
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

I might add that all that work never let me have time for a lot of things. Trying to learn how to really ride my 2004 XR650L that has sat in the office or hangar since 2005 and only had 347 miles on it. The last camp and ride last month damn near killed me. I am really out of shape for riding like a bat out of hell on back roads. I will need a lot of seat time to get as good as the guys on this forum. (If I survive the training process)
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #53963
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
Thanks for all the responses on becoming a pilot. It is weird because I have known this young man since he was born. A good friend of the family that we have many great memories with, Seems like yesterday they were still in diapers. I think he is planning on going to Henderson State University to study avation. Any help on an inside track working in the avation field during the summer would be great. Thanks, Craig
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #53964
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Summer Aviation Jobs

Try the local Fixed Base Operators (FBO) since they often hire aviation students to wash aircraft, gas planes, and other odd jobs at the airport. That gives the student an opportunity to grab a ride with a local pilot and get some flight time. Every airport has an FBO to service aircraft. Some of the Charter operators will have an opening for a kid to help out with the cleaning, maintenance help, etc.

When he gets in college I can introduce him to a couple of the charter airlines (DC-9, 727, 747, DC-8, helicopters and a slew of other mixed aircraft) I still have friends at and maybe get him a summer internship. They will be on the west coast.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #53965
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,050
Mornin Doc, are you letting Chuck sleep in today?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #53966
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Good morning and goodbye! (Overnight fling sort of thing. )

I'm off to work you lazies! SOME of us have to be gainfully employed, 'ya know???

V-man
Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #53967
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Mornin Doc, are you letting Chuck sleep in today?
at 2am in the morning?

Mornin fellers
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #53968
mdawg12
Old and Slow

Oddometer: 1,502
If your into Orange:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/3258652331.html

Not bad if he would deal a little. Have to admit I studied on it some last night, but not brave enough bring it home being I just got a lecture on my toy budget last week. So I talked myself out of it.

Guess I will just get serious and put some work into the DRZ this winter and set it up right for dual sporting.
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #53969
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
anyone got DR650 or XT225 for sale?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #53970
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
I have flown in the military, government and commercially about 43 years, 22,000 + hours, helicopters and fixed wing. Stopped flying commercially when I turned 65 two years ago. Trying to learn how to have some fun for a change. Worldwide, every hotel looks the same from the room, or sleeping in tents in the backwoods on operations for the DEA, USFS, BLM, oil exploration, production ops in GOM, Alaska, etc.. Owned an FBO and 17 aircraft and helicopters for awhile. It is a great career but you have to get used to being away from home for months at a time on some ops. I prefer helos to fixed wing just for the sheer ability to work the machine in such a wide variety or missions. I still have a Bell 206L4 Long Ranger but have it leased to a friend of mine in Alaska. Will probably sell it when it comes off lease. Sold my Air Tractor 802A to a guy in Australia a couple of years ago. It was set up as a SEAT (single engine air tanker) for forest fire work. Sold the Bell 212 to a company in Chile when it came off lease to Pemex which brings up the ole quote that "to make a small fortune in aviation start with a large fortune"

I have been looking at getting the Super Cub kit from the boys in Texas and building a little hot rod tail dragger to get in and out of short strips. Constant speed prop, Vortex generators, bush tires and tail wheel, IO-360, etc. My wife will probably have a fit although she is a licensed pilot also.

Fly Safe,
Roger Sadler
ATP, A&P, IA
Wow!

Steve
sc-razor is online now   Reply With Quote