ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #54691
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole
 
TRZ Charlie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 15,317
Doc, did you get the Time Serts for your jeep yet? Oh, and how is your Aunt recovering from getting the pacemaker?
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #54692
Dragon43
If you insist.
 
Dragon43's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Central Arkansas
Oddometer: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Doc, did you get the Time Serts for your jeep yet? Oh, and how is your Aunt recovering from getting the pacemaker?
Me curious too.
__________________
Shouda, woulda, coulda but dint.
Dragon43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #54693
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky
 
Elvis70's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 5,056
Mornin,

I actually did a little project on the DR yesterday I been aiming to do for some time. Wanted to warm up the DR but battery wasn't strong enough to start it, bumping failed, even in 5th the slick rear in cool temps just slid on the pavement. So since I had to take of the seat and get to the battery I figured I might as well and go ahead and install some wires I could access without removing the seat to charge or jump start the battery. Put some terminals on the battery cables and ran a 10 gauge wire down under each side panel. For now you still have to remove side panels but that is easy, just a Phillips head. Before you needed that and then 12 and 10 millimeter sockets to remove seat and battery retention bar.

I jump started the bike by connecting to my newly installed wires and checked them after for heat. They did not feel hot, which is good.

Then I rode it a bit and it runs great, since Travis went through it the bike will pull up the front without the clutch in first, it never would before.

Then I hooked up my litte charger for an hour to the new wires and put wire nuts on the ends and the sides back on. All done.
__________________
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #54694
wayno
Beastly Adventurer
 
wayno's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: East of KCMO
Oddometer: 6,523
Sounds like I need to bring mine to Travis also but don't know about the extra 70 lbs of arse Im hauling


Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
Mornin,

I actually did a little project on the DR yesterday I been aiming to do for some time. Wanted to warm up the DR but battery wasn't strong enough to start it, bumping failed, even in 5th the slick rear in cool temps just slid on the pavement. So since I had to take of the seat and get to the battery I figured I might as well and go ahead and install some wires I could access without removing the seat to charge or jump start the battery. Put some terminals on the battery cables and ran a 10 gauge wire down under each side panel. For now you still have to remove side panels but that is easy, just a Phillips head. Before you needed that and then 12 and 10 millimeter sockets to remove seat and battery retention bar.

I jump started the bike by connecting to my newly installed wires and checked them after for heat. They did not feel hot, which is good.

Then I rode it a bit and it runs great, since Travis went through it the bike will pull up the front without the clutch in first, it never would before.

Then I hooked up my litte charger for an hour to the new wires and put wire nuts on the ends and the sides back on. All done.
__________________
RIDE SAFE
1998 KTM RXCE LC4, DR650, 07 DL650
Very obtuse at times
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #54695
mdawg12
Old and Slow
 
mdawg12's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Oddometer: 1,658
Anybody riding Sunday?


__________________
2006 KTM 450 EXC - Tagged
2005 BMW R1200GS
2001 BMW F650GS
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #54696
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 32,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Doc, did you get the Time Serts for your jeep yet? Oh, and how is your Aunt recovering from getting the pacemaker?
leaft here EARLY this mornin to take aunty to Dr to have her staples removed from pace maker surgery..Dr sez that its a good thing she had the pace maker as it has been working 95% of the time according to the telemetry from the unit..with out it, her heart would beat so slowly that it could possible stop beating on its own, so pace maker is working! Now we gots to work on her getting her legs back..she just aint got no strength in em.

as for the time serts..Travis has some metric ones that would work and that would mean two bolts would be metric and one STD..havent decided yet to go that route..travis told me to look ebay for small sert sets for abt $75-80..I may go that route cause then, I will have the proper tools (drill, sert setting tool, counter sink etc) and all I would have to do is buy serts...tomorrow, (friday) I am taking the hawg over to albies and with him, me and Todd, we gonna wrestle a tire on..and then I am gonna talk em into a ride back to HSV (grannies) for lunch...y'all are welcome to come along if'n you can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon43 View Post
Me curious too.
see above reply, that would save me from having to copy and paste it here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
Mornin,
Put some terminals on the battery cables and ran a 10 gauge wire down under each side panel. For now you still have to remove side panels but that is easy, just a Phillips head. Before you needed that and then 12 and 10 millimeter sockets to remove seat and battery retention bar.

I jump started the bike by connecting to my newly installed wires and checked them after for heat. They did not feel hot, which is good..
now you can plug in a trickle charger and let that battery simmier while you is gone..I have the harley set up that way and it works great!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #54697
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 32,434
I be missin some Ted..he's been absnet alot lately..is he a prisoner of the ole salt mine?
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #54698
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 32,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Doc, did you get the Time Serts for your jeep yet? Oh, and how is your Aunt recovering from getting the pacemaker?
found me a time sert kit on ebay

DIBBS!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TIME-SER...0050568f0478_0
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #54699
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,680
2004 KLR 650 now $1600.. That's two times less for what you could make in parts.
__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #54700
joenuclear
Planning.....
 
joenuclear's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkrider View Post
Yer kinda spry. Must be headed home this weekend.
Not yet, I've been working 7-12's [or 13's] since October 13th. It's scheduled to end November 9th but we're running a bout 4 days behind.

When it's over I'll get laid off and be home till Febuary. Then it's
__________________
"They bought me a box of tin soldiers. I threw all the Generals away. I smashed up the Sergeants and Majors. Now I play with my Privates all day."
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #54701
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 32,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Not yet, I've been working 7-12's [or 13's] since October 13th. It's scheduled to end November 9th but we're running a bout 4 days behind.

When it's over I'll get laid off and be home till Febuary. Then it's
you forgot and
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #54702
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky
 
Elvis70's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 5,056
I do need a trickly charger Doc, but for now I have too many demands on money to spend any extra nickels. I got me a charger that puts out exactly what the battery calls for to quick charge it in 1 hour so I just put it on when it needs it and set a reminder on the ole blackberry to go unhook it. I have my little jump box and air compressor combo to start it if needed too. I love that little thing.

I am about to get me a good floor pump though with a high pressure gauge.
__________________
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #54703
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,190
ARRGGHHHHH fragged the motor on the Strom again!! I'm done with it, gonna sell it off as is and find me another DL or maybe even go back to the douche side and get a Beemer

In the mean time I had this thing follow me home the other day



Needs a little TLC but shouldn't take much to get it screaming down 123 and Push MT.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #54704
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath
 
ozarkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Twin Lakes, AR
Oddometer: 5,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
ARRGGHHHHH fragged the motor on the Strom again!! I'm done with it, gonna sell it off as is and find me another DL or maybe even go back to the douche side and get a Beemer

In the mean time I had this thing follow me home the other day



Needs a little TLC but shouldn't take much to get it screaming down 123 and Push MT.
What happened to the motor on the Wee?
__________________
O'Jay

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #54705
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkrider View Post
What happened to the motor on the Wee?
Was tooling up 123 and all the sudden lost power and the motor started making racket. Obviously missed something when it was apart last time.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014