The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,354
mornin wayno! gettin any riding in?
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #55367
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,306
My parents called me yesterday and said their ducks have been wigging out and wont get in the pond. I hunted for aanimal or something scaring them during the day but found nothing. I went back last night with a spotlight and found a huge OTTER!!!? Ive never seen one in AR. He must be 20 pounds, and is feasting on our catfish. I hated to shoot him so i put a trap out, hope to catch him or scare him away.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #55368
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,818
Otter or Nutria ( Coypu) Ted?

Ive never seen an Otter here either, but the nutria are plentiful.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #55369
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
My parents called me yesterday and said their ducks have been wigging out and wont get in the pond. I hunted for aanimal or something scaring them during the day but found nothing. I went back last night with a spotlight and found a huge OTTER!!!? Ive never seen one in AR. He must be 20 pounds, and is feasting on our catfish. I hated to shoot him so i put a trap out, hope to catch him or scare him away.
Yup. River Otter. They are notorious for moving out of rivers, esp. in low water situations, and fishing out ponds. I reckon they are coming out of the West Fork of the White?
I work on a project off of Rockhouse Road on a guys land, and he built and stocked a beautiful pond. This year he saw several different otters in three days. They pretty much wiped out his stocked bass (which had grown to 5lbs). He was pissed, to say the least. They are coming up out of the King's river and onto his place.

Matt, they are pretty darn common. I've seen them while trout fishing in the white a LOT.
They are being redistributed across the middle of the US (they had been trapped out), and they even come to Arkansas to collect them since our population is so large: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/6743/Default.aspx
I imagine there are "nuisance animals" laws that apply to private property so you can be eliminate them (or maybe move them to another location). I just don't know. I did look up info on AFG site. You can hunt (daytime only) in a limited season (open now thru end of Feb), with a limit of 2 per day. I didn't understand the furbears trapping laws, as it doesn't mention otters. I'm no hunter, tho, so most of you guys would know better.

Valentino Magoo screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 06:58 AM
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #55370
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,306
Thanks tim! Much appreciated info! And yep matt its an otter, he is huge! Just found another one of our huge catfish eaten, i thought we maybe scared the otter off but he is back. May have to have otter for Thanksgiving?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #55371
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Ted this method I'm sure is too drastic for what you need but, It's effective in getting rid of unwanted critters. Animal rights people may not want to read this. Anyway, I know a trapper that was in the nuisance animal control business. He was doing some work for a farmer that had major beaver problems. The beavers were damming the creek going across his property causing a lot of water problems. He would blow up the beaver dams but the beavers would rebuild them soon after. Trying to trap the beavers was too time consuming. So, here is where we get to the good part. He live trapped a beaver and used duct tape to strap a stick of tovex explosive with a long fuse around the beaver. He lit the fuse and released the beaver. Guess where the beaver went? That's right he went right back to the lodge where the entire beaver colony was. Beaver problem solved!
It kind of reminds me of those raghead taliban. Suicide beaver!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #55372
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,412
Question

Hello you NWAFF

I'm going to White Rock this weekend and I was wondering if they reopened all those roads that were closed during SLAP.

I'm thinking about coming over from Cass side.
What's the best way to get there in a 2wd full size PU truck?

Cheers
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #55373
Dravintoad
Toadthumpin

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Thanks tim! Much appreciated info! And yep matt its an otter, he is huge! Just found another one of our huge catfish eaten, i thought we maybe scared the otter off but he is back. May have to have otter for Thanksgiving?
Gimme a 12 pack of good beer, a comfy seat and I'll come over wit ma 12 gauge.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #55374
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperjohn1962 View Post
Guess where the beaver went?
At so many levels this is just wrong, CJ.
Karma says that the animal would be so petrified it would run under your truck. Or the house
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #55375
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomski74 View Post
Hello you NWAFF

I'm going to White Rock this weekend and I was wondering if they reopened all those roads that were closed during SLAP.

I'm thinking about coming over from Cass side.
What's the best way to get there in a 2wd full size PU truck?

Cheers
hey there tommy boy...your best bet is on Shores Lake Road there at Turners Bend and up to White Rock Mtn Rd from Shores Lake...shores Lake road is a much better road and faster too..and the road below white rock is fixt
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #55376
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
Karma says that the animal would be so petrified it would run under your truck. Or the house
LOL that's what I thought too! glad my truck and house were nowhere near. I'm not one to believe in karma anyway. If you think about it though, using that method for beaver control is more humane than trapping and shooting the beavers with a gun. At least the beavers don't have to suffer a long death. Relocation isn't really an option either unless you want to dump your problems on someone else.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #55377
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
Nah, My luck would be better then that I expect. I figure the dog would get brave and decide to hunt said vernom on release, grab it and then bring it back to you on the porch just about time for it all to go even further south. Atleast if I was in the garage it would take care of the dizzer, the old ktm, and those other projects sitting there.
terrascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #55378
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperjohn1962 View Post
LOL that's what I thought too! glad my truck and house were nowhere near. I'm not one to believe in karma anyway. If you think about it though, using that method for beaver control is more humane than trapping and shooting the beavers with a gun. At least the beavers don't have to suffer a long death. Relocation isn't really an option either unless you want to dump your problems on someone else.
There you go Ted. Once you get them trapped you can go release them at beaver lake. That way Matt's kids can enjoy the new pets living by the dock that are chewing up all the die downs.
terrascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #55379
Dravintoad
Toadthumpin

Oddometer: 1,737
Put 'em in Matt's attic, you know, to chase the squirrels out.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #55380
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
mornin wayno! gettin any riding in?
Not much relandscaping front of house the cheap way ( me doin it) enjoy the holiday