Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #67516
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by advmgm View Post
I like scooters - lots of fun and surprisingly agile!!

And plenty of room to take the inflatable girlfriend under the seat!
Thats what a milk crate is for!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #67517
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,445
the machine shops around here I have worked in didn't pay nearly that good Daron
probably related to an areas cost of living index also?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #67518
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
From what I hear lots of people apply for jobs to operate CNC machines but can't pass the basic math test given to prospective new hires. Mike from Dirty Jobs was on talking about the stuff the other night and he was interesting to listen too. Talked about the owner of a Catapillar delearship n PA needed 26 heavy equip. mechanics and couldn't find 1. These jobs start near $50k and with experience exceed $100k. Everybody has been convinced they aren't worth squat if they don't get a degree and sit at a desk all day. Twice as many college grads now get degrees in visual and performing arts as do in Science, Engineering, and Math.

Where are these machine shops, and what do they pay, I ain't afraid of work?
Theres two on sunset 412 As I recall both are west of 540. The one I applied at offered me 10$/hr plus full bennies to put hinge pins in manways then stack'em. Not bad for somone needing work. They were also hiring welders and machinists. I applied to weld but after a few questions I lost confidence that my two years of welding in high school plus home applications would suffice as enough experience. I almost took the assembler job but got a better offer same day.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #67519
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

I also know that when I was working at saddlebock he was always looking for general labor 12$ an hour to scrub floors and equipment. Went through probly 5 young guys that just could not/ would not do it.!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #67520
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
Not bad fro starters. I guess if I couldn't fly tomorrow I would sell cars since at that I know I can make what I make now. A lot of money for standing around bullshitting people. But the hours suck and you have to work Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Theres two on sunset 412 As I recall both are west of 540. The one I applied at offered me 10$/hr plus full bennies to put hinge pins in manways then stack'em. Not bad for somone needing work. They were also hiring welders and machinists. I applied to weld but after a few questions I lost confidence that my two years of welding in high school plus home applications would suffice as enough experience. I almost took the assembler job but got a better offer same day.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #67521
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
Hell I just spent 20 hours at least this week spot cleaning the walls, all the trim, each door, and then touch up painting the walls. Still need to do the trim and doors. Vince colored on his door, and washable marker did not all come out. Washable my ass. Didn't get paid squat.

Quote:
I also know that when I was working at saddlebock he was always looking for general labor 12$ an hour to scrub floors and equipment. Went through probly 5 young guys that just could not/ would not do it.!!!
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #67522
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
I wouldnt feel comfterble psychologically . Ive ridden scooters and without security of equal weight on either side it just feels like Im about to tip over.
Curious, how does it react when a semi blows by?
equal weight/side, say what? In the case of the Burgman, the final drive (gears) is on the left, and the exhaust is on the right, so the bike is perfectly balanced in weight. Maybe you are thinking 49cc scoots or something?

The cowlings on this scoot make it much less prone to freaky truck buffeting than my WR or the Harley, where I catch the wind. However, the large windshield does present more resistance than the Buell Thunderbolt I rode on a long trip (although my body was much more head-first).
SmugMug Rocks!
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #67523
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
Everybody has been convinced they aren't worth squat if they don't get a degree and sit at a desk all day.
CNC, Autocad and PLC programming are very good paying trades for anyone not seeking a degree. IMO, the public education system is more like a public institutional system, where a handful of children are groomed to be the wardens and the rest are groomed to be the labor.

You might check out the book "The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America".

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #67524
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,190
All they teach kids today is how to pass the standardized tests which of course are dumbed down to the least common denominator. Dumb people make easily managed sheep.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #67525
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
All they teach kids today is how to pass the standardized tests which of course are dumbed down to the least common denominator. Dumb people make easily managed sheep.
yes, and after working around academia for nearly 12 years now, I can assure you my opinion of many degrees has dwindled. Ive seen SO many dipshits with so many damn letters after there names they could make a bowl of alphabet soup, but have never existed or worked out side of an academic system, and very few of those people know how to DO anything.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #67526
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Way too many variables to say for certain "degree or dis-degree" but from my point of view: I got one. I learned very little from the schooling. What little I did learn I consider very important. That degree got me jobs I would not have been hired for without, and I learned a great deal from those jobs. Most of the people in my field that say my degree is useless arent very good at what they do... Those that are good without a degree wish they had one. The whole concept can go many different directions.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #67527
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Quote:
Way too many variables to say for certain "degree or dis-degree" but from my point of view: I got one. I learned very little from the schooling. What little I did learn I consider very important. That degree got me jobs I would not have been hired for without, and I learned a great deal from those jobs. Most of the people in my field that say my degree is useless arent very good at what they do... Those that are good without a degree wish they had one. The whole concept can go many different directions.
I was pretty much speaking about the lifetime student types, the get a BS, then a masters, then a phd, then they teach...

they know many theories, and models, and examples, but they have never actually existed in the work force in a useful capacity.

IM not saying they are all like that, but I know MANY that are exactly like that.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #67528
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
I was pretty much speaking about the lifetime student types, the get a BS, then a masters, then a phd, then they teach...

they know many theories, and models, and examples, but they have never actually existed in the work force in a useful capacity.

IM not saying they are all like that, but I know MANY that are exactly like that.
Isn't there an old adage that says "Those than can, do. Those that can't, teach."

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #67529
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,628
Yay!

Thunder and wind here in Mtn Home. We may get some rain yet.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #67530
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkrider View Post
Isn't there an old adage that says "Those than can, do. Those that can't, teach."
I dont agree with that totally, I know some really good teachers, Magoo for one.

but yeah, my mother was arguing a while back about elementary ed majors having to have college algebra, said it wasnt needed. I said "mom, no offense, but if a person cant comprehend college algebra, I do not want them teaching my kids"