ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #67516
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer
 
jtwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Wickenburg, AZ
Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by advmgm View Post
I like scooters - lots of fun and surprisingly agile!!

And plenty of room to take the inflatable girlfriend under the seat!
Thats what a milk crate is for!
__________________
I have 3 glasses that are all a third full, 5 half birds in the bush and the one in my hand keeps biting me!!
jtwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #67517
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 16,445
the machine shops around here I have worked in didn't pay nearly that good Daron
probably related to an areas cost of living index also?
__________________
Tilt your head, not the taco. - Pati Jinich
Charter member: T.O. club.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #67518
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer
 
jtwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Wickenburg, AZ
Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
From what I hear lots of people apply for jobs to operate CNC machines but can't pass the basic math test given to prospective new hires. Mike from Dirty Jobs was on talking about the stuff the other night and he was interesting to listen too. Talked about the owner of a Catapillar delearship n PA needed 26 heavy equip. mechanics and couldn't find 1. These jobs start near $50k and with experience exceed $100k. Everybody has been convinced they aren't worth squat if they don't get a degree and sit at a desk all day. Twice as many college grads now get degrees in visual and performing arts as do in Science, Engineering, and Math.

Where are these machine shops, and what do they pay, I ain't afraid of work?
Theres two on sunset 412 As I recall both are west of 540. The one I applied at offered me 10$/hr plus full bennies to put hinge pins in manways then stack'em. Not bad for somone needing work. They were also hiring welders and machinists. I applied to weld but after a few questions I lost confidence that my two years of welding in high school plus home applications would suffice as enough experience. I almost took the assembler job but got a better offer same day.
__________________
I have 3 glasses that are all a third full, 5 half birds in the bush and the one in my hand keeps biting me!!
jtwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #67519
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer
 
jtwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Wickenburg, AZ
Oddometer: 2,642
I also know that when I was working at saddlebock he was always looking for general labor 12$ an hour to scrub floors and equipment. Went through probly 5 young guys that just could not/ would not do it.!!!
__________________
I have 3 glasses that are all a third full, 5 half birds in the bush and the one in my hand keeps biting me!!
jtwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #67520
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky
 
Elvis70's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 5,056
Not bad fro starters. I guess if I couldn't fly tomorrow I would sell cars since at that I know I can make what I make now. A lot of money for standing around bullshitting people. But the hours suck and you have to work Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Theres two on sunset 412 As I recall both are west of 540. The one I applied at offered me 10$/hr plus full bennies to put hinge pins in manways then stack'em. Not bad for somone needing work. They were also hiring welders and machinists. I applied to weld but after a few questions I lost confidence that my two years of welding in high school plus home applications would suffice as enough experience. I almost took the assembler job but got a better offer same day.
__________________
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #67521
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky
 
Elvis70's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 5,056
Hell I just spent 20 hours at least this week spot cleaning the walls, all the trim, each door, and then touch up painting the walls. Still need to do the trim and doors. Vince colored on his door, and washable marker did not all come out. Washable my ass. Didn't get paid squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
I also know that when I was working at saddlebock he was always looking for general labor 12$ an hour to scrub floors and equipment. Went through probly 5 young guys that just could not/ would not do it.!!!
__________________
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #67522
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug
 
Valentino Magoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Faytown, Arkansas
Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
I wouldnt feel comfterble psychologically . Ive ridden scooters and without security of equal weight on either side it just feels like Im about to tip over.
Curious, how does it react when a semi blows by?
equal weight/side, say what? In the case of the Burgman, the final drive (gears) is on the left, and the exhaust is on the right, so the bike is perfectly balanced in weight. Maybe you are thinking 49cc scoots or something?

The cowlings on this scoot make it much less prone to freaky truck buffeting than my WR or the Harley, where I catch the wind. However, the large windshield does present more resistance than the Buell Thunderbolt I rode on a long trip (although my body was much more head-first).
__________________
12 WR 250R, 11 Burgman 650, 00 HD softtail
Charter Member: T.O. Club
| You can follow My Spot | Last Ride: 2014 3 Hogs Root in the WyCoUt
SmugMug Rocks!
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #67523
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer
 
NateLePain's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Central AR
Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
Everybody has been convinced they aren't worth squat if they don't get a degree and sit at a desk all day.
CNC, Autocad and PLC programming are very good paying trades for anyone not seeking a degree. IMO, the public education system is more like a public institutional system, where a handful of children are groomed to be the wardens and the rest are groomed to be the labor.

You might check out the book "The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America".



nlp
__________________
Instagram - http://instagram.com/natelepain#

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #67524
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,190
All they teach kids today is how to pass the standardized tests which of course are dumbed down to the least common denominator. Dumb people make easily managed sheep.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #67525
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 16,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
All they teach kids today is how to pass the standardized tests which of course are dumbed down to the least common denominator. Dumb people make easily managed sheep.
yes, and after working around academia for nearly 12 years now, I can assure you my opinion of many degrees has dwindled. Ive seen SO many dipshits with so many damn letters after there names they could make a bowl of alphabet soup, but have never existed or worked out side of an academic system, and very few of those people know how to DO anything.
__________________
Tilt your head, not the taco. - Pati Jinich
Charter member: T.O. club.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #67526
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer
 
jtwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Wickenburg, AZ
Oddometer: 2,642
Way too many variables to say for certain "degree or dis-degree" but from my point of view: I got one. I learned very little from the schooling. What little I did learn I consider very important. That degree got me jobs I would not have been hired for without, and I learned a great deal from those jobs. Most of the people in my field that say my degree is useless arent very good at what they do... Those that are good without a degree wish they had one. The whole concept can go many different directions.
__________________
I have 3 glasses that are all a third full, 5 half birds in the bush and the one in my hand keeps biting me!!
jtwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #67527
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 16,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Way too many variables to say for certain "degree or dis-degree" but from my point of view: I got one. I learned very little from the schooling. What little I did learn I consider very important. That degree got me jobs I would not have been hired for without, and I learned a great deal from those jobs. Most of the people in my field that say my degree is useless arent very good at what they do... Those that are good without a degree wish they had one. The whole concept can go many different directions.
I was pretty much speaking about the lifetime student types, the get a BS, then a masters, then a phd, then they teach...

they know many theories, and models, and examples, but they have never actually existed in the work force in a useful capacity.

IM not saying they are all like that, but I know MANY that are exactly like that.
__________________
Tilt your head, not the taco. - Pati Jinich
Charter member: T.O. club.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #67528
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath
 
ozarkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Twin Lakes, AR
Oddometer: 5,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
I was pretty much speaking about the lifetime student types, the get a BS, then a masters, then a phd, then they teach...

they know many theories, and models, and examples, but they have never actually existed in the work force in a useful capacity.

IM not saying they are all like that, but I know MANY that are exactly like that.
Isn't there an old adage that says "Those than can, do. Those that can't, teach."
__________________
O'Jay

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #67529
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath
 
ozarkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Twin Lakes, AR
Oddometer: 5,628
Yay!

Thunder and wind here in Mtn Home. We may get some rain yet.
__________________
O'Jay

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #67530
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 16,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkrider View Post
Isn't there an old adage that says "Those than can, do. Those that can't, teach."
I dont agree with that totally, I know some really good teachers, Magoo for one.

but yeah, my mother was arguing a while back about elementary ed majors having to have college algebra, said it wasnt needed. I said "mom, no offense, but if a person cant comprehend college algebra, I do not want them teaching my kids"


__________________
Tilt your head, not the taco. - Pati Jinich
Charter member: T.O. club.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014