User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
The AltRider Feedback and Support Thread

As riders ourselves, we know you want to have fun and make sure your bike makes it through all your adventures (relatively) unscathed. We hope you’ve discovered AltRider -- we manufacture premium accessories for ADV bikes such as the BMW GS series, Ducati Multistrada, KTM adventure series, Yamaha Super Ténéré, Suzuki V-Strom, Triumph Tiger and more. Our in-house design team that creates 100% US- made products utilizing only the highest quality methods and materials, packaged with all necessary hardware and instructions. We listen to what kind of features you like, what products you want to see next -- we have a genuine interest on your opinions.

We’re starting this thread as a place for you to ask any questions you may have, provide feedback on AltRider parts, or even suggestions on new parts. We welcome you to share your pictures and stories of riding with AltRider parts. We’ll also post the latest updates and products. Of course, you can always call us at 206.922.3618 or shoot us an email at info@altrider.com.

Thanks, from the AltRider Team
Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 8,014
My opinion:

I think that teaming up with Dave Wachs to develop a new line of soft luggage is a fantastic idea. Dave can bring design lessons learned from his previous work to put forward new, innovative, more versatile and better working options.

A well thought out addition to the ALTRider family of products.

I look forward to seeing what comes from it.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
My opinion:

I think that teaming up with Dave Wachs to develop a new line of soft luggage is a fantastic idea. Dave can bring design lessons learned from his previous work to put forward new, innovative, more versatile and better working options.

A well thought out addition to the ALTRider family of products.

I look forward to seeing what comes from it.
Thanks, we're really excited about the new luggage and Dave is an awesome guy to work with. We'll have pricing and availability dates soon, I promise!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Bamabeast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I am really waiting on your triumph explorer upper crash bars and hoping your new bash plate will be much stronger and not use the stock XC mounting locations, also if your bars where to be offered in a flat black color that was close to the stock frame or crash bars would be great thanks.
Bamabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
TBR
China ADV.....

Oddometer: 382
Keep up the top quality work, very happy with my ALTRIDER parts installed (Ducati MTS1200-PP 2012): Header Guard, Luggage Rack, Crashbars with Frame Sliders, Sidestand Foot, Waterpump Guard.

Any new Ducati Multistrada parts under development?
China Bike Info: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925334
TBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 13,619
I've got the Altrider Bash Plate for the Husqvarna TR650. The thing is bullet proof! Love your stuff. Keep it up.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabeast View Post
I am really waiting on your triumph explorer upper crash bars and hoping your new bash plate will be much stronger and not use the stock XC mounting locations, also if your bars where to be offered in a flat black color that was close to the stock frame or crash bars would be great thanks.
I will pass those suggestions along to our design department, thank you. As far as the upper bars, they are in development but I don't have an ETA on them quite yet. There are lots of new exciting parts coming out this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR View Post
Keep up the top quality work, very happy with my ALTRIDER parts installed (Ducati MTS1200-PP 2012): Header Guard, Luggage Rack, Crashbars with Frame Sliders, Sidestand Foot, Waterpump Guard.

Any new Ducati Multistrada parts under development?
No new parts for the Multistrada in development at the moment, however we did release a Cylinder Head Guard a few months ago. I am glad you like your AltRider gear, it's always nice to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
I've got the Altrider Bash Plate for the Husqvarna TR650. The thing is bullet proof! Love your stuff. Keep it up.

We have a special place in our hearts for the TR650 - probably because we have one of our own

Old 02-13-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I pick up my new '14 WR250R on Saturday and it could use a few things...
Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
I pick up my new '14 WR250R on Saturday and it could use a few things...
We'll have this soon
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We had quite a few new prototypes come in this week, including our new chain guard for the F 800 GS. The chain guard is a single piece of 1/8" aluminum and a significant upgrade over the flimsy stock guard.

Stock guard --

AltRider Chain Guard --

We've got a ton of new parts coming out in the next few months!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRider View Post
Thanks, we're really excited about the new luggage and Dave is an awesome guy to work with. We'll have pricing and availability dates soon, I promise!
I'm also really glad Dave is working with you. And I have an interest on the Hemisphere soft panniers system and I offer the following feedback/questions about that system:

1. What are the dimensions of the piece connecting the two soft panniers, the flat piece that goes on top of the seat/rear rack?

a) For guys who want to keep a top box on their motorcycle rear rack:

What is the distance from front-to-back of the motorcycle, as it seats straddled on top of the bike? I want to know how far it will advance towards my bike's rear rack.

I suppose that piece that lays on top of the seat could possibly be cut/trimmed, for example take a semi circle of fabric to allow it to go around a rear rack, in case someone already has a top box mounted on the rear rack. On one of the pictures as it lays on top of the KTM 950 without the top bag, you can clearly see what needs to be cut out for the system to go around that bike's rear rack instead of the top of the rack.

This would perhaps weaken the system, so an adjustment belt (with buckles or something else) could be sewn in to the ends of the very end of the bags and connect the two soft panniers at their most rear points (the part of the bag where I can see there are reinforcements).

This adjustable belt would go under the rack, and keep the strength of the connection across the two soft panniers that was lost from cutting the semi circle piece off of the bags.

Then the top bag of the system could be placed sideways and shortened by the folding mechanism, or you could offer a smaller top bag, to fit on top of the rear seat only for guys who want to have their top case and also these panniers.

Also this may allow the bags to be moved a little bit backwards, in case this fabric that is straddling the seat be too far forward which then the rider would be seating on its edge - which could be uncomfortable. Perhaps a slightly smaller, wider semi circle cut on this side as well? Samller meaning you wouldn't want this one to weaken the system, as a strap across would not be good for the same reasons (rider would have to sit on it).

b) It seems the connecting point between the two panniers has a fixed width in terms of how it straddles the seat/rack of the motorcycle.

So what is the other dimension of this piece, as it straddles the motorcycle? It seems to be non-adjustable, so it may or may not fit all motorcycles? It fits very well the 950 adventure. But will it fit other motorcycles? It depends on its dimension and the other bikes' dimensions as it is straddled on top of the bikes. Perhaps a velcro or other format with one piece coming from each bag would allow adjustments?

2. What is the height of the two side panniers? Just want to know how long they will hang from the top. It will depend also on the center piece and how it fits a motorcycle, right (see above)? It will hang lower on narrower bikes and higher on wider motorcycles.

3. You mentioned you will also produce a set with side panniers with different widths left and right, for motorcycles with a single left or right exhaust. Any news on that? I could see that as a better fit for my Tiger, for example. Or an 1190...

This is an interesting product, I really like the idea of being water proof, provide easy access on the lower compartments, on each side. And that the divider between the two compartments on each pannier gives the pannier more structure (prevent it from bulging out).

I've been looking for soft panniers for a long time, and this one seems to have most of the attributes I would consider optimal. It is very close to what I am looking for. And I know I would be able to make these alterations I describe above on 1a and 1b on my own, and then a set of this bags would fit one of my motorcycles like a glove.

Thanks!
Cesar

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
1. What are the dimensions of the piece connecting the two soft panniers, the flat piece that goes on top of the seat/rear rack?
I'll have to get back to you on the dimensions of everything, I don't currently have a set of bags in the office to measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
So what is the other dimension of this piece, as it straddles the motorcycle? It seems to be non-adjustable, so it may or may not fit all motorcycles? It fits very well the 950 adventure. But will it fit other motorcycles?
We've tested the soft panniers on quite a few different bikes for fitment. It takes some adjusting, but they'll fit many different models.

As far as your other suggestions, I'll pass them along to our design team. Thanks for the feedback and interest, we're definitely getting excited!

For anyone who hasn't seen, the luggage line pages are now live on our website with descriptions and pictures. They can be found here.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #13
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Rolled down height and capacity

For my plated dirtbike (KTM500) I'm looking for a rackless luggage system that doesn't sit more than 2" above seat height.
Higher than that and its too awkward to swing a leg over on tight trails.

Couple of questions :

If the hemisphere is rolled down, and only the side pods are used for storage, how high above seat height is that rolled up section ?
What would be the resultant capacity ?

Alternatively, what is the capacity of the red dry bags if they are rolled down to the same height as described above, 2" above seat height ?

and a Suggestion :

To reduce the overall height of those red dry bags, could the roll closure clips marry up to clips/adjustable straps attached to the outer pouches ?
Adjustable straps would allow the bags to be cinched down into the pouches.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #14
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,343
Laugh

Sweet looking work here guys!!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Mr Dual Sport
Wanderer

Oddometer: 980
I'm glad you started this thread!
I'll make sure to give feedback here regarding the Hemisphere Saddlebag. It will be going on a 30 day plated dirt bike X/C trip with me this June/July!

1994 XR600R-Plated
Mr Dual Sport is offline   Reply With Quote