Make way for Geländehack, yet another GS sidecar

iHop screwed with this post 01-23-2010 at 10:36 AM
iHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
alaskawilmer
Wilmer

Oddometer: 218
Yes, keep it coming!

Yes, keep your report coming our way. I enjoy the process.
Do you recommend Jay's shop? Good service?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,545
Great work! I have been threatening to do one of those 'spray skirt' type tonneau covers ever since Bob Henig brought his GG Duetto to the RON DEE VOO....Good to see you got one done !!

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Wow...about the rain skirt. LOve it. I have the same Hack as you and would love to have this rain cover. Do you make these for others? Another thing you might consider is making a rigid bracket for the windshield. Going 50-70 mph the windshield tonneau cover stretches seriously and needs to be controlled. After a few stretches the windshield no longer protects the rider...she'll get a full blast.
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Max
generic humanoid

Oddometer: 43
Laugh Nice TG ref..

"The Stiggette, or whomever, can be dry and warm:"

Some say that the outline of her left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nurburg ring...

Some say there is no theory of evolution.. only a list of animals she has allowed to live.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Matt the Wanderer
Supremely Not Lost

Oddometer: 264
The cover on the K100

I love that cover on the yellow rig and would love to find one for my current project which is also K100 based. Did you fab that yourself of have it made?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
I just love stuff like your shifter linkage:

It's so determinedly High-Zoot - all fabricated, welded, polished, and clearly very well thought-out in advance. Notice how the bell-crank uses a BMW shift lever barrel bolt and its nifty oil-lite bushing along with the dual ball-joint shift rod. Someone devoted some care and effort to designing this piece

My solutions tend to be rude, crude, examples of 'Applied Bubba' at it's most dreadful Low-Zoot worst - where a helpless chunk of aluminum is assaulted by a hyperactive imagination wielding dull drills and a trembling Dremel:

Here a hapless Pingel sport-bike mount has been butchered, drilled, and painfully grafted onto the left rear subframe bolt and then fitted to a Touratech adjustable shift lever. The only 'clever' 3-beer thinking in the entire lash-up is how the stock TT folding peg was re-adapted.

The peg's top mounting tab was rudely bent 90 degrees with a Vise Grip, providing the mount point for the shifter linkage, while the shift peg folds against a bushing bolted through the lower tab:

Of course the shifter lash-up is in keeping with the rest of the bike, which has not yet achieved 'Rat Bike' status solely because the Rats want nothing to to do with it:

Cheers

Jim
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
W. Boyter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHop
Based on other threads, we're beginning an ADV tradition of wrecks to/from Dauntless...
Shiatsu. My mama often told me that my existence may only be to serve as a warning to others...
W. Boyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jim

My solutions tend to be rude, crude, examples of 'Applied Bubba' at it's most dreadful Low-Zoot worst - where a helpless chunk of aluminum is assaulted by a hyperactive imagination wielding dull drills and a trembling Dremel:

Cheers

Jim
Hey Dr. Jum -

You betch'a, iHOP's shifter likage is a work of industrial art! However, yours works for you, different strokes, etc., so it's all good.

Question for you, how reliable has your KILKTRONIC shiftre been for you?

I opted for the Pingel only because I assumed there would be problems with any of these, and was wary of buying something this specialzed that was made overseas (even if "overseas" was our former Colonial Master ).

However, I've wound up having to purchase a new Pingel at least once a year, there isn't really a good wiper on the shift shaft/rod, and dust, dirt and rain water work their way into the shifter body, which eventually causes the shift rod to rsut itself to the windings. I do a couple of 6K+ miles overseas every year, and these take their toll on the Pingels.

I've also had the shift module fail (not the ignition kill module, which I don't use), and have had to replace the shift buttons twice - all in all, a pretty poor reliabiility record, though Pingel has been very good about some customer goodwill in compensation for the problems I've had. These Pingels are VERy spendy. . . .

Thanks!
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
Hey Dr. Jum -

You betch'a, iHOP's shifter likage is a work of industrial art! However, yours works for you, different strokes, etc., so it's all good.

Question for you, how reliable has your KILKTRONIC shiftre been for you?

I opted for the Pingel only because I assumed there would be problems with any of these, and was wary of buying something this specialzed that was made overseas (even if "overseas" was our former Colonial Master ).

However, I've wound up having to purchase a new Pingel at least once a year, there isn't really a good wiper on the shift shaft/rod, and dust, dirt and rain water work their way into the shifter body, which eventually causes the shift rod to rsut itself to the windings. I do a couple of 6K+ miles overseas every year, and these take their toll on the Pingels.

I've also had the shift module fail (not the ignition kill module, which I don't use), and have had to replace the shift buttons twice - all in all, a pretty poor reliabiility record, though Pingel has been very good about some customer goodwill in compensation for the problems I've had. These Pingels are VERy spendy. . . .

Thanks!
Hi Mike ...

The Kliktronics is installed as a matter of grim expedience, my Pingle solenoid lunched its coil one afternoon, wasn't rebuildable, and the Kliktronics was in the parts bin because its linkage rod had snapped off at the top of the threads. Cut some new threads on the rod and popped it into the Pingel mounting.

Slowly asssembling the several hundreds of dollars needed to buy another Pingel solenoid, and seriously considering a Translogic shifter ($821 + overseas freight YIKES!) but whilst the brain is willing, the wallet is weak .....

Oddly enough, the Kliktronics solenoid has been quite reliable for the last four years - since the Kliktroincs controller promptly gunnysacked about two weeks after its warrenty expired. It isn't as strong as the Pingle, and has a shorter useful stroke, but the Pingle controller seems quite happy driving it and it does shift well now that I've juggled the mount and linkages.

The Pingel switches are less than amusing - I've a small collection of them in the junk box, since they croak pretty quickly and even their handlebar mounts are flimsy and ill-fitting.

iHOP sort of casually mentions using the BMW turnsignals as "paddleshifters..." I'd like to know more about how he did this - and what he used as turnsignal switches - iHOP?

Cheers

Jim
Old 04-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteWait

The Pingel electronics have been replace by simple, easily sourced and replaceable, Bosch relays.

We opted for the Pingel ATV actuator. Which is not chrome, has a boot, and comes with beefier booted buttons, which we're not using anyway (future tilt control maybe?)
Absolutely brilliant! I am definately going to convert all three of my hacks' shifter systems over to the relays, as I've had three control modules fry themselves - they don't like high ambient temps, two failed in Africa, and one along the Silk Road.

I also sourced the connectors, boots and crimping tool for the "Mil-Spec" connectors Pingel uses a while ago, needed them for accessory installs on a Hummer H1 I used to off-road (yes, it's gone, way too politically incorrect to own in the very politically correct Pacific NorthWET ).

Didn't know Pingel made an ATV-configured unit. The Pingel tech support guys, and Donna Pingel herself, never mentioned this during our "chat sessions" in regard to the failures I've had. Will definately check this out also - thanks so much for the info - keep it coming!

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The Pingel electronics have been replace by simple, easily sourced and replaceable, Bosch relays. They eat some space, but only two of them carry any load. The other two switch the mode of the turn signal switches based on the clutch switch position. I could redo it all in solid-state but this is easy to maintain and get parts for, pretty much anywhere. I socketed them (more space) and sourced the same "waterproof" connectors that Pingel uses.

When the clutch lever is in, the turn signals act as the shifter buttons, left down, right up. Clutch out, they're the same turn signal buttons as before. Not as strange to get used to as it sounds. We have two bikes wired in this manner now and it makes for easy reach and quick shifts. No way to shift without pulling the clutch lever in, which to me is a plus. We'll see if the additional use wears the BWM switches quickly or not. They're only triggering relays, so we're not asking them to carry more current than they did before. They do get pressed more often then they would just as turn signals though.

We opted for the Pingel ATV actuator. Which is not chrome, has a boot, and comes with beefier booted buttons, which we're not using anyway (future tilt control maybe?)
This is an elegant solution - I'd been toying with a similar idea, where the shift buttons would select the shift (up or down) but the solenoid wouldn't be activated until the clutch lever was engaged - acting like the old Cotal or Wilson pre-selector gearboxes - but yours makes more intuitive sense.

Let me see if I understand how you've constructed your arrangement. I'm guessing that there's a single SPST(single pole, single throw) relay on the 12V side, whose 'normal' position feeds DC to the turnsignal relay, but when powered by the clutch interlock, switches power to the control circuit(s) of the shifter relay(s) - which are then live until the clutch is no longer engaged.

At first, I thought "How do you turn signal when sitting at a light?" Then I remembered that once pulsed by the turn signal paddle, the flasher unit continues flashing until canceled.

Clever...

I like to use Bosch 75 amp (0 332 002 156) relays to switch shifter solenoids, but they should be used with external diodes to lower arcing at the contacts.

I've also considered building a driver circuit that would use the gearbox sending unit to sense when the gears are engaged - so a gearshift button press would power the solenoid circuit until the gearbox sensor goes positive, or until a timeout threshold is exceeded. This would neatly shape the solenoid power pulse, and allow for BMW's VERY slow 1-2nd shift, while not overdriving the other much quicker shifts.

Mike - could you share your source for the connectors on the Pingle? I need to finish installing the Kliktronics correctly.

Thanks

Jim

Dr Jim screwed with this post 04-22-2009 at 12:04 AM
Old 04-29-2009, 12:54 AM   #13
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

A simple shifter solution

Walt & iHop -

Your very nifty and well-integrated paddle-shifting arrangement inspired me to go wandering around the dank and musty back halls of Darkest eBay, where I found this useful little Guppy:

It's the left-side switch cluster from an R1100RT - which neatly popped onto my R1100GS bars - taking the place of the stock switchgear between the heated grips and and the clutch-lever perch.

What it adds is the green paddle, originally intended to raise or lower the RT's electric windshield - that's a self-centering, SPDT switch, rated at 3 amps - perfect for controlling an electric shifter.

So, here's another way to integrate electric shifting into an R-bike - it's actually quite ergonomic, the paddle is large enough and close enough to easily 'THWACK!' with my thumb, and it's behind the light, horn, and turn signal controls - which may cut down on sudden, inadvertant downshifts. There's something SO exciting about locking up the back tire while blowing the horn - it really gets the cell-phone dreamer's attention....

Cheers

Jim
Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,091
Reverse Gear Info?

Quote:
No such issue finding neutral on iHops rig, as reverse is where first would be and it stops downshifting in neutral until a reverse lockout button is pressed.
So, who did the reverse gear on iHop's bike? W.Kayser?

I have been looking for a way to add reverse to my R1200RT/Hannigan rig.

I have a flyer from Kayser, but the listing for reverse gear for the 6-speed gearboxes does not show the developed gearset, nor a price. It just says contact them for more info.

Unfortunately, they do not have an english speaker/writer for correspondence. And my 5th/6th grade german is a bit rusty...

Thanks!
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
No reverse on the R1100GS.

The reverse is on her current K1100RS based GG Duetto. That came with the bike from Grüter + Gut Motorradtechnik out of Switzerland, but I think they get them from these guys: http://www.monotracer.com/

Can you scan what you have from Kayser and PM me?
PM sent...

I would not be suprised if the gearbox was actually sourced from Kayser. They have been the preeminent BMW gearbox builder for years. I find it hard to imagine that there would be a big enough market for there to be multiple makers & competition for reverse gear motorcycle gearboxes for the same models.
(but I have been wrong about things before...)
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is online now   Reply With Quote