Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkrider
Though I think you should divest yourself of the road only bike and get and adventure tourer with which you can join me on some gravel/back road travels. There's so much more to be seen off the paved path.
he aint lie'n!!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
ozarkrider OP
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
he aint lie'n!!
No Sirree!

Weather permitting we're headed to either Oark or Catalpa next Saturday. What say the masses on a lunchtime meet & eat.

Tcourdin? Zecatfish? Doc? Elvis70? Anyone else who's names I've forgotten cuz I'm fast approaching Olde Phart status?

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
No Sirree!

Weather permitting we're headed to either Oark or Catalpa next Saturday. What say the masses on a lunchtime meet & eat.

Tcourdin? Zecatfish? Doc? Elvis70? Anyone else who's names I've forgotten cuz I'm fast approaching Olde Phart status?
What day was you planning on this expedition to Oark?
The bikes ready as it ever will be. Its a long ride from here to there. I've got to find a good route over there still.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #19
ozarkrider OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
What day was you planning on this expedition to Oark?
The bikes ready as it ever will be. Its a long ride from here to there. I've got to find a good route over there still.
This coming Saturday, the 18th. We're leaving the house early and gravel roading it over there. Eat and a different route back. The weather's suppose to be tolerable.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #20
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
This coming Saturday, the 18th. We're leaving the house early and gravel roading it over there. Eat and a different route back. The weather's suppose to be tolerable.
This weekend is still a mystery. No idea on if I'm available or not. Then I'm not planning on riding all the way up north to come back down on the same day.
I had enough of that Saturday. If I wonder towards Oark it will be more of an exploratory mission. Still gotta find a good route that I like to Oark through the valleys. I can get there from the mountain tops.
Just have to see what happens.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,220
Quote:
No Sirree!

I'm a 'maybe'. but if the weathers nice I'm taking the famdamily and the Mustang to a Mustang car show.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin
I'm a 'maybe'. but if the weathers nice I'm taking the famdamily and the Mustang to a Mustang car show.
Give mama the keys to the "tang" and tell her and the kids to get lottsa pix fer ya..that way you can ride to Oark with us!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #23
ozarkrider OP

Apr 16, 2009

I took the long way to work today and stopped to snap a few pics along the way. Nothin' fancy, just some stop and shoot. Shame there ain't more day to have before going to work.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
I haven't seen peter for awhile. I usre to ride with hime once a year at hucks road and track rally. A very good rider indeed.

Oazark when ya going to come down and run some of the polk county back roads?
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #25
ozarkrider OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley
I haven't seen peter for awhile. I usre to ride with hime once a year at hucks road and track rally. A very good rider indeed.

Oazark when ya going to come down and run some of the polk county back roads?
Well now. Being as you get to go over to SA and play with new motorcycles on hoity-toity race tracks, I may not be able to hang with you now.

Probably during the summer. We're headed to the East coast for vacation this summer. Memorial Day weekend is gonna be spent chasing Rt 66 from Springfield, MO to St. Louis. Stopping to photo as much architecture as possible along the way.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #26
ozarkrider OP

April 18, 2009

The plan for today was to make it to Oark and have a juicy burger at the store. But plans had to be loose since the weather was dicey. So, the only thing to do was do it.

After a caffeine laced morning we geared up, saddled up, and headed out. The Pigeon Creek arm of Lake Norfork was a nice sight to see first thing this morning.

We traveled west to Yellville where we stopped at a favourite eatery, The Front Porch.

Missus O'Jay had the healthy, well balanced brekkie...

While I had enough grease and cholesterol for both of us.

After a pleasing repast and a final cup of coffe we strolled around outside to get food settled into position. Some random shots of the restaurant and Town Branch Creek.

Yellaphant patiently waits for us, having gotten a bellyful of good 93 octane earlier.

Leaving the restaurant with found our way to AR 235, a wonderful and deceptive stretch of road. Long flowing sweepers connect to decreasing radius tight corners that can catch you unawares. But a fun piece of real estate to work on your pucker skills.
We turned onto CR 4030 and spent a few miles on gravel. We only got one pic while riding the rocks. These three critters didn't wanna move out of the way. Instead they spent about 200 yards running down the road ahead of us. They finally stopped, moved over, and let us by.

The county road brought us the back way into Western Grove. We stopped at a store and got some new batteries for my camera. (duh!) Directly across from the store we hopped onto AR 123, one of my favouritest roads.
We road 123 down to Hasty, then took the cutoff down to the Buffalo River.

Just a lil scenery along the way.

If you're looking for a project to make into a toy hauler...

The road down to the river.

The Buffalo River upstream...

And downstream.

And the new bridge to replace the low water slab that flooded so often, so easily.

The Hasty Cutoff brought us out to AR 74, which we rode through Jasper and on down to AR 43. Turning left on 43 we rode out to AR 21 where we came into Boxley.

We rode down to the old bridge over the Buffalo and got some pics of canoists and kayakers launching. One group from Memphis was planning a 10 day float from Boxley to Buffalo City, just outside of Mtn Home. About 125 miles on water. Wow!

Leaving the river, we headed south on 21. Oark was the next stop. But yet we had to stop again for the photo ops. The mountains were getting a hazy look to them.

This was the point that it started to rain on us. So we turned around and headed back up Hwy 43. We rode into Ponca and stopped at the Elk Education Center.
The Boxley area is noted for being an elk restoration herd. On a good day you can pull off the road and watch small herds of elk feeding on good river bottom grass. An elk is an impressive animal. Magnificent in appearance and daunting in size. There are elk crossings on Hwy 43 and 21 so be aware. The center is an interactive place. Not real big, but interesting.

I'm not sure what this structure was for at some time in the past. Just some concrete pilings now.

This lil boy seemed fascinated with the horses.

The Ed center building.

I wonder how many drunks have tried to spotlight and shoot these cutouts.

The following pics were all taken inside the center. No words, just pics.

Hwy 43 took us towards Harrison, with one stop along the way for some more mountain scenery shots.

Riding into Harrison we realized that lunchtime had passed us by. So we stopped at this place.

Since I hadn't made it to Oark to enjoy a manly type of meal, I was forced to have a foo-foo meal in this place.
The Missus had turkey on spinach/feta bread and broccoli/cheese soup.

I had honey pecan chicken salad on wheat bread and potato/bacon soup.

We topped this off with a coupla cups of Guatemalan coffee and then headed east towards home.
We stopped off in Cotter to see how the Trout Festival was going. The rain had run quite a few folks off.
I took this pic while there though. The bridge in the foreground is the H.M. Ruthven bridge over the White River. It's a National Historic Landmark. Built about 1934 to replace the ferry just upstream.
The bridge in the background is a turntable railroad bridge. It was completed and at the dedication it was opened once and then closed. Shortly after the Bull Shoals Dam was built and riverboat traffic ceased on the White River.

I'm not sure what to make of this. This lady was sitting in the boat. She's wearing a very small swimsuit, and she ain't a small lady. And the firemans hat on top only adds to the mystery. Either way, it was a sight to behold.

All total, 197 miles on the clock. Only got rained on a lil bit and had a bunch of fun. And there's always next weekend to look forward to. See y'all on some backroad.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 AM   #27
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Awesome RR! I could have gone out yesterday as not a drop of rain here! It did rain in FYV and if I had taken off for Oark, I probably would have looked like a Grizzly who just got done salmon fishin in the Columbia River..at least someone got out to ride.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #28
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,232
Loved the ride report. The lady in the firehat made me throw up a little in my mouth.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #29
ozarkrider OP

Apr 19, 2009. Truck yondering

Yeah, yeah. I know. In the truck don't count. Just hush up, I had my bride with me and we had fun. Plus we left straight from church and I had guitar, equipment bag, and other assorted detritus to schlep around. So the truck it is.
We were heading to Mountain View to enjoy some of the Folk Festival. The sun came out while we were sitting in church. Made my heart leap with joy. Now I know I should be listening to what Pastor had to say, but when it's sunny outside I'd rather go enjoy Gods creation than hear about it. So...

We got out of church and headed to Coltons for some lunch. Gotta be fueled up for playtime ya know. Then we headed south over Push Mountain Road. Car, bike, don't matter. Push Mtn is fun no matter how you do it. We got to AR 14 and turned left and drove down to AR 87, made a right, and then it started to rain. Hard. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!
We got into town and of course all the festival events and vendors were shut down and hunting cover like everyone else. So we drove out to the Ozark Folk Center to poke around there some.
The Missus bought some herb plants (not that herb) and a rose bush for me to carry around, practicing my suffering husband stance. I finally got her out of the plant shop and into the musical instrument shop, where I was told that I could not, repeat, could not buy another guitar this month.
So I got her back to the truck and got out of there quick. Divorces ain't cheap and neither are guitars. I can't afford to pay for both at the same time.
We rode back into town and stumbled on this lil jewel. The Mountain View City Park. Small, well kept, and darn near completely hidden. It sits on a creek that adds a great deal of flavour to the park and it's really cool. The pics will speak for themselves.

We headed back to the town square to get some ice cream and just wandered around. Got these two pics of one of my favourite places, and some of the locals gathered to play. If you ever get the chance to be in Mtn View on a weekend, plan on spending some time listening to the music. There's a lot of talent tucked away here and there downtown just truly enjoying themselves.

We thought we might oughta head home, it's getting kinda dark looking to the north.

AR 5 will bring you to Calico Rock, so named from the colourations of the bluff above the White River. The colours also change from season to season. It looks gorgeous in the winter with ice hanging from it.

We stopped at Rand City Park in Calico Rock for a short walkaround. Just a few pics from there.

Finally, the White River, Sheid Bridge, the railroad, and a bluff. Seen from a vantage point just outside of Norfork. From here it was on to the house and time to put my feet up.

Hope y'all had a good Sunday. Go find two lanes and have some fun.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #30
Ozarkadver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Nice RR Jay. looks like you guys had a great time both days tty.