Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #31
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,938
Sure is some pretty country, glad I got a chance to ride along with y'all via the internet...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #32
ozarkrider OP
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lost
Sure is some pretty country, glad I got a chance to ride along with y'all via the internet...
I know that you know the route to here from there.

But I do know we'll get some miles in together this summer. Remember, we're leaving the house on June 19 and headed east. We've decided to just hang out at Barrier Islands and use that as a staging area. Kathe wants to ride the BRP and Skyline Drive. And the hassle of breaking camp and setting up daily helped make it an easy decision to stay put, at least for a bit. There's a lot to see in that area.
I think we may run down to Savannah also to check it out. Feel free to hang out all you'd like. It'll be good to see ya again.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #33
ozarkrider OP

Mothers Day 09, the Floral Ride

OK, it's Mothers Day. So I spent the day doing what the long suffering Mrs O'Jay wanted to do. So....

It was Pizza Hut after church with the youngest daughter and her family. My grandkids are a constant source of amusement.

Landon lends his interpretation to "grazing"

Kylie's not to be undone in the attention getting dept.

After eating we drove to the city park for the kids to play and let Grandma be herself.

Mrs O'Jay, Daughter Nicole, Kylie, and Landon. Mighty good lookin bunch.

The kids headed home and we loaded the bicycles in the truck and went to Cotter to putz around. Cotter's an old railroad river boat town. There's some history to the area and there's still some old homes left with that certain small town charm.

On the bike path down by Cotter Spring I find this lil fella.

The wildflowers are in full bloom.

Mrs O'Jay and the transportation of the afternoon.

Spring Creek flows alongside the White River for about a 1/2 mile before joining it.

I don't know what this is suppose to be, but it's sticking up out of a cap on a spring.

The bridge over the creek is made from an old railroad flatcar.

Itty bitty flowers, hand for perspective.

Must be tough to have to live in a place like this. Up there, isolated, all alone. King of your domain. Poor folks. I feel for 'em.

The caboose, boxcar, park pavillion, and Ruthven Bridge in the background.

The Railroad Mans Memorial.

This old structure housed the well head for the Cotter water system for many years. It was put into operation in 1935 and was used until the 60's.

The Baxter County Bank building, put in operation on 1936.

The old Presbyterian church.

The old Cotter High School gym. This was used from 1938 until the early 70's. It's now a community youth center and is open daily. A lot of kids play a lot of ball in here. Keeps the lil darlins off the streets.

Someones back yard.

I like the fence around this yard. Check out the trim on the peak of the roof.

The old Cotter Lumber Company. I lived directly across the street from this for a long time. It's firmly embedded in my memory, and it's a good one. Neat place to go wandering around in. It's now a hardware store, antique shop.

The Cotter Masonic Lodge. It was built in 1935 and is still used.

Hey Elvis70, this one's for you. This lil birds been sitting in the same place for nearly 20 years. I can't recall ever seeing it move. There's a grass strip in the field behind it, well maintained including a wind sock. I wanna meet the guy and offer to swap rides with him someday. I fly his, and he takes up the Ercoupe.

Well Y'all. That's my day. All in all, a good time. Next time I hope it's done on two wheels, with power other than my own.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #34
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,486
mine waspretty much the same, except I didnt have the camera!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #35
ozarkrider OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
mine waspretty much the same, except I didnt have the camera!
Ya really gotta be better prepared Dan.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #36
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkrider
Ya really gotta be better prepared Dan.
aint that the truth..I have left to go on rides and forgot the camera a time or two..and I suspect that will continue.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #37
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
Awesome pictures. I love Arkansas. My first overnighter I stayed in Yellville and ate at the front porch. It was wonderful!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #38
ozarkrider OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Awesome pictures. I love Arkansas. My first overnighter I stayed in Yellville and ate at the front porch. It was wonderful!
Yep, the Front Porch has good groceries. We'll saddle up and ride over there for a Saturday morning breakfast time. Then take a run across the ferry to have lunch at the Dinner Bell on the north side of the lake. Then a nice spirited ride back east on 160 to J to home.

I sure hope the weathers better next weekend.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #39
ozarkrider OP

Oark run, May 17,2009

OK. Final contacts have been made, prep all done, one stop first thing, and then it's off to Oark for food and friend. (so I thought, best laid plans and all that)

Sunday morning is almost always a scramble. Get the music pulled that I'll be playing that at service, suck down some coffee, find something to eat that's quick and easy, and make it to the church by 8:30. Now I'm adding to that by bringing two vehicles so that we can leave as soon as the music is done. Pastor's good with us bailing on the sermon, he knows it ain't gonna help me much no how.

Sooo...

We get to church, have warm up. Hang out for a few and visit with folks. I like our small church. Homey and friendly. Time to start, we get into it. All goes well, no major malfunctions. Done playing! Sneak out the door and gear up. Time to git. Departure time is officially 10:17.

The run west is uneventful. We rode US 62 to Bellefonte and then jumped on AR 206 to AR 7. Riding 7 south was an adventure in patience. It was either a car piddling along at 45 or a pack of cruisers. None of whom had the sense or decency to move over and let a galavanting GS through. Just had to create my own passing lanes is all.

We stopped in Jasper to fill the tank and grab a coffee. A lot of sport bikes passed by along with a really nice looking Katoom supermoto. Didn't get to see if it was a single or twin. I'm lusting for a supermoto badly. Way too much fun.

We hooked it up and made our way down 7 to AR 16. We quickly made our way through Deer, Nail, and Swain. At this point the gps routed me onto a gravel road. HooHa! My kinda travel.
We rode a few miles and then the rather rough gravel road peters out in someones yard. Whoops. Turn around and try another way. A quick left and we find ourselves on a really rough and crapped out road. Now, if I was alone this would be the bomb. But the Missus isn't groovin on this at all. Then, retribution. My wife loves water. To see it, hear it, and play in it. We crossed a creek and I stopped. All is forgiven, she can hear water.

We finally find ourselves coming out to pavement in Catalpa. I'm disappointed, Kathe's relieved. Hmmmm, conflicting emotions here. lol

We sprint on up to Oark. Hmmmm, lotsa motomachines in the lot but nothing familiar. No V-Strom, no Harley, no Katie-M. OoooooK. We'll eat anyhow.

Now the Oark Cafe is one of my favourite places. The ride to get there is awesome. The roads first rate. And the atmosphere and food well above ordinary. The long suffering Mrs O'Jay recovers from our gravel road misadventure.

And directly my Texas BBQ Burger arrives. Mighty good eatin's.

The decor in the Oark is eclectic to say the least.

All fed and happy, it was time to wander outside and look at all the highway candy. Those boys from Okie have some nice toys.

We geared up, saddled up, and moseyed down to the swinging bridge. I haven't a clue who built this, or why. But it's cool. And it's a childhood memory relived to go play on a bridge like this.

Mrs. O'Jay dares to get on the bridge with me. Silly, silly girl!

We stopped at Wolf Pen Recreational Area on our way out on 215. The steps down to the river from the picnic area are way cool. I've never seen wood done up like chain links before.

The rest of the ride was kind of uneventful but relaxing. We rode 215 out to 23 and had a wonderful time playing in the twisties. We wandered into Huntsville for fuel and restroom break. Lots of bikes at the T-Mart. Folks mingling around and chatting. Cruisers, sport bikes, dual sports. There was one of everything it seemed. Kinda cool to see folks on different types of rides just hanging out and kickin tyres.
We pulled back into the driveway just about 7pm with 300 miles for the day on the meter. Great warmup for our Memorial Day adventure next weekend.

Oh Yeah! As we headed out 215 I saw a group of dual sporters coming towards us. One of 'em waved. It was a grizzly in a bright yella jacket. Turns out it was a way late Doc Lewall. Sorry I missed ya Bro. But there's lots more weekends to get out and play. Warloop musta been a mutha.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #40
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Warloop musta been a mutha.
Mutha my ass..it was a BLAST!!!I wanna do it again, gots to go back with a chain saw and take that tree out..there is another tree at the end but there is a detour for that one so really no need to take it out..if you were to take your bmr down it, you'd get a work out and I highly suspect that once out on the other end (Mountainburg side), you'd find another route home.

Everyone who rides the TAT will post how awful Warloop Rd is..many say it's probably the hardest 1 mile on the whole TAT route, what an Honor that is for Arkansas to have! Make no mistake about it tho, it is tough..going down is not that hard, just be watchfull of all the rocks that will do a face plant on you if you are not alert!!

Going up is kinda like doing trials and a hill climb at the same time..lean back, gas it and be ready to throw in some body english to manuver around the rocks, mud, and trail edge to reach the top, not to mention the tree limbs that will smack your face on the way up or down for that matter..my kinda fun!!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #41
Ozarkadver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Hey Jay, I ask her, And she said YES!!! Know she can read the rr you wrote when we went riding. and see all the fun she missed.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #42
ozarkrider OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanbowfish
Hey Jay, I ask her, And she said YES!!! Know she can read the rr you wrote when we went riding. and see all the fun she missed.

Awesome Ben! Congratulations. Ya gotta set a date quick now before I get too old to come and mess it up for you. lol

Hey Guys! Ben's getting married. Don't try to talk him out of it, she's a nice girl and has a chance to make something outta him. Plus, he may fool us and actually stay married. Though I really enjoy having ex-wives to chat about around the campfire.

Give the girl a hug from me Ben, you done good.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:34 AM   #43
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Though I really enjoy having ex-wives to HAUNT ME! .
There..fixt it fer ya!

Congrats Ben!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #44
Ozarkadver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Awesome Ben! Congratulations. Ya gotta set a date quick now before I get too old to come and mess it up for you. lol

Hey Guys! Ben's getting married. Don't try to talk him out of it, she's a nice girl and has a chance to make something outta him. Plus, he may fool us and actually stay married. Though I really enjoy having ex-wives to chat about around the campfire.

Give the girl a hug from me Ben, you done good.
Thanks Guys. I'll give her a big hug. Its time to go ride.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #45
ozarkrider OP

Memorial Day Weekend, the Wedding Story

The Memorial Day Weekend plans had been laid out for months. A ride up Route 66 from Springfield, MO to St Louis, MO. to see what was left out there on the Mother Road. Two riding companions were joining me on this adventure.

So we got up on Saturday morning and headed for Shreveport, LA.

OK, so perhaps an explanation is in order here.

My sister in Shreveport calls two weeks ago to tell me that her son is getting married at home rather than in Florida. Would I like to come and see some family that I haven't seen in a long time? I explained my ride plans and that I would put it to the others for a vote. She was good with that, Sis is a good girl.
I called the Rottweiler and told him the deal. He wanted to know where we could go riding in that area and did he have to play dress up. There's lotsa good roads between Shreveport and Mtn Home and no, you don't have to play dress up. Done and done. New plan, same result. Miles in the saddle.

Saturday morning found us at a local fave for food.

Darren on the left, Jimbo on the right, me trying to hide behind my hat. Mrs O'Jay is the photog here.

Brekkie

Breakfast done, we head back out to the bikes. I noticed this vintage helmet next to Yellaphant.

It was hanging on this.

A mighty nice looking Honda 350 Scrambler. I haven't seen one of these in a long time.

Hwy 235 is a favourite of mine. Good curves, nice road surface. You can make really good time on this stretch of real estate. Here in Bruno is a good set of twisties. The road breaking off to the left here is paved for about 3 miles then turns into gravel. Ends up in St Joe on US 65.

Clouds hung out with us all day. But no rain.

Interstate travel sucks. Bad!
C'mon guys, keep up.

Since we were in a hurry we slabbed it from Conway to Hope. Getting of on AR 29 in Hope took some of the mind numbing dreariness away. Coming into Lewisville we passed Burges's. Good food here if you're ever in the area.

A handy KFC provides a snack/hydration/rest break. I bought a new camera and broke it out for a test shot. Smile please!

The steeds at rest. We had a twin, a triple, and a four traveling this weekend. If DaMoron had joined us we'd have a single in there as well.

We got to my sisters house to find out that Darren was having a problem with his emergency flashers. They were stuck on. Time for surgery.

Stuck switch fixed, and take it back to the dealer. That's a warranty item Bubba.

Jimbo releases his inner child. Wait, never mind. This is how he always is.

The wedding was cool, the rain held off long enough for it to happen outdoors as planned. I won't bore ya with all the pics. Here's just one of me with parents and all my siblings.

Sunday morning finds us packed up and headed north on LA 1, a pleasant two lane winding through tall pines and some oaks. Not much traffic and no LEO's. I forget the name of the town here, but there was some neat things to be seen.
There's this old building see, with a cool mural on the outside.

And this motley bunch out front.

But inside, there's a treasure trove. Like this old truck.

Or a Dodge Coronet with a Hemi.

Howzabout a Superbird.

There was a 'Cuda,

And one of these. Remember this lil jewel?

I saw this sitting in the field and all I could think of was the theme song to "Green Acres"

We finally made it to Queen City,TX and a stop at the Pitt Grill for a late breakfast. The Pitt has become my brekkie stop on my way to Houston. Good food and waitresses who give as good as they get. If any of you remember the tv show Alice then you remember Flo. (Kiss my grits). I now refer to any waitress who has a sense of humour as a "Flo". It's a badge of honour girls, wear it proudly. Mrs O'Jay and "Flo" show off for us.

Well fed and ready to roll. Where to? Queen Wilhelmena Lodge at the top of Rich Mtn. Is the weather gonna cooperate? Maybe.

OK, so the weather didn't cooperate. Not a heavy rain, just consistent. We stop in Mena to asses and ponder our situation.

When all else fails, find food. Coffee and snacks are needed here while we decide what course to take. The pizza joint served us an apple turnover the size of a dinner plate. Sorry, no pics. Poor thing didn't have a chance amongst us.

We made a decision. Off to the top of the mountain to the lodge. Onward Ho!
This is what we found when we got there.

Fog! Lots of it. Darn near whiteout conditions.

Jimbo's a Federal officer. Sometimes he forgets where he's at. Now he's wanting to do a full cavity search.

We gingerly worked our way back down the mountain and headed for Hot Springs. Another well laid plan about to be shot in the back.

It was raining. Not hard. Not enough to limit visibility. Not enough to run for cover. Just enough to make ya mad. Just enough to keep yer hands slighty white knuckled on the bars. Just enough to cause you to make a bad decision...
We rolled into Mt Ida. Hungry, wet, tired, and ready to call it a day. Almost 100 miles in the precip. Look! Up there! It's a motel.
We pull in, crawl off the bikes, and stand dripping in the office as we hand the man our money. Aaahhhhhh! A warm and dry place. Wrong again Skippy!
Norman Bates ain't got nuthin on this place.

Remember that sign and stay far, far away.

The rooms were bug infested. We didn't know how much till it was bed time. Nasty, nasty place. To have it burn down would be too little too late.
Jimbo and Darrens room had exposed plumbing.

Our room was better, but not by much.

The high point of Mt Ida was Shark Attack Pizza. A pizza & salad bar buffet for $6, drink included.

Jimbo argues the finer points of pepperoni vs canadian bacon with me.

The pizza joint was a pharmacy years back. There was some cool old stuff left in the building. Like this back bar.

Complete with a thick marble top on the counter.

And an old safe to give the place some class.

A restless night of sleep followed the meal. Hard to relax when you don't know if the touch on your thigh is your wife, or a bug.

It's morning and time to get out of here. Looking around though I noticed this gizmo. A four wheeled pull behind camper. Made by Airstream. I think it's being used for storage now.

Darren looks around, amazed that he would consent to stay in such a place as this. This was an awakening journey for him. We may never get him to come out and play with us again.

Now not everything in Mt Ida is dreary and bad. The Mt Ida Cafe was kinda cool, in a hillbilly sorta way.
Jimbo struggles with waking up.

Darren struggles with grits vs hash browns.

Mrs O'Jay struggles with me having a camera at all times.

And me? I have no struggles at all. Life is good!

Texas ain't the only place with jackalopes.

An Arkansas Chainsaw Massacre.

And the usual collection of oddball decorations.

Nest stop, Ft Chaffee outside of Fort Smith. The weather's overcast but decent today. We backtrack on US 270 to US 71 and head north. Along the way I noticed that the sun wouldn't peek out but the rocks will.

Just a lil ways down the road we find Square Rock Lake. Time for photo ops.

Mrs O'Jay and myself.

Darren

And Jimbo

And a small collection of pic of the lake, dam, and water lilies.

The first stop on Ft Chaffee was the Janet Huckabee Nature Center, which was closed.

More to follow, gotta go get ready for work.