Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #46
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Man you do good with the pics and stories!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #47
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,354
that was neat! TNX Jay!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #48
jarobi
Quadpolar disordered

Oddometer: 3
Luckily no pics of the Tiger and I swimming on a low water bridge in Booger County the previous day. A shovel handle did the trick realigning the saddlebag mount, and Darren bent the shifter back somewhat into spec with a 9/16 inch wrench. O'Jay said I nearly earned my Almost Junior Stupid Adventure badge, Fifth Class.

-RW
jarobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #49
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarobi
Luckily no pics of the Tiger and I swimming on a low water bridge in Booger County the previous day. A shovel handle did the trick realigning the saddlebag mount, and Darren bent the shifter back somewhat into spec with a 9/16 inch wrench. O'Jay said I nearly earned my Almost Junior Stupid Adventure badge, Fifth Class.

-RW

nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #50
ozarkrider OP
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarobi

-RW
In retrospect, since I've known you all these years, you've earned it.

It's being printed up now. I'll have it for you when you get off the short bus, have the driver loosen the sleeves on the jacket so you can take it.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #51
ozarkrider OP

OK, where was I?

Oh yeah, still at Ft Chaffee. We wandered around the grounds of the Nature Center. There were some folks fishing, a few were strolling around on the hiking trails, some just sitting and enjoying the quiet solitude.

Then there were this guy, tempting me with the fact that I had no weapon on hand with which to make them supper.

Saddling up and leaving the Nature Center we ride a total of 2 blocks to see these.

If I remember correctly, these old barracks were used during World War II and the Korean Conflict. The last usage of them was to house Vietnamese refugees in the mid to late 70's. There weren't any "no trespassing" signs so naturally...

Downstairs

The latrine.

Are the stairs safe?

And the upstairs.

Now, we saddle up and head north. Our goal is Devils Den State Park. The last time we were there the dam had been torn down on the lil lake so that it could be rebuilt. We wanted to see if that had been done.
We found ourselves on AR 60, which turned into Old 88 Rd, which went from paved to gravel, to slick wet clay.
We managed to find this old bridge just before the road went from paved to gravel.

The water musta been mighty high to cover the bridge with all this stuff.

Pause now to reflect on the serenity of Ozarks beauty.

Old 88 Rd turned into Chester Cutoff Rd, which eventually came out onto pavement. Only about 10 miles traveled on gravel/dirt but it sure felt longer.
At the bottom of the hill is this church, but I'm thinking it may have been something else originally.

And of course, creek pics.

And the studly adventurer, contemplating the next stretch of roadway to be conquered.

We wound our way to US71 and headed to Devils Den. The road into the park is a hoot all on its own. Tight hairpin turns that would have been major fun if the road had not been damp.
We got parked, shed the gear, and started the tourist thang!

A tribute to the men whose sweat and determination built not only this park, but several other place in AR.

The new dam at the park seems to be doing its job well.

And kids always love to play in the water.

Folks out paddling around in the lil boats.

We wandered around the park, having something cool to drink. It was peaceful, even with all the folks around us. I do like living here in the hills. But enough of this, time to get out on the bikes again.
Leaving the park we cross the railroad tracks at Winslow. There's a cool old building there.

We headed into Fayetteville for a bite to eat. A Chili's was the victim of our antics. No pics, just a time spent with my friends who shared a weekend of adventure with Mrs O'Jay and I.

Jimbo and Darren left and headed north to MO. We saddled up and headed east. Hwy 45 to US 412 and beyond. Rain spattered down on us at times. As we rode through Huntsville God shared a wonderful sight with us. So I stopped and got the last pic of the trip. Looks like a perfect way to close out the ride. 958 miles total traveled. Family seen, friends enjoyed, and the Mrs still likes me. Thanks for traveling with us. See ya out there somewhere.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #52
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Cool pics and some pretty countryside... Aren't ya glad winter is over and spring has sprung?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #53
ozarkrider OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lost
Cool pics and some pretty countryside... Aren't ya glad winter is over and spring has sprung?
Spring hasn't exactly sprung here, it's more like a leak. I'm soooo tired of rain. I never know that the Ozarks had a monsoon season.

BTW, we're only a few weeks away from departure for the east coast. Still gonna come hang with us for a bit? Yellaphant needs some Teutonic company.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #54
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkrider
BTW, we're only a few weeks away from departure for the east coast. Still gonna come hang with us for a bit? Yellaphant needs some Teutonic company.

I'm planning to accommodate with the bike part, God willing and the creek don't rise... (too much more, anyway!)
Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #55
ozarkrider OP

A Saturdays yondering

OK, so I didn't go to SLAP.

I'm a slug!

I stayed home and worked on a toilet.

But there was redemption on the far end.

First of all, our son Keith showed up on his bike from east TN. A surprise visit which may turn into him relocating back here. I'm all for that as long as it don't cost me any coin. Fingers crossed, he's out tonight making his test drive with another driver. He's a trucker and has been out of work for a coupla months. The union over there has over 100 names on the list waiting for a job.

Mrs O'Jay and I went out and had our normal Sat morning breakfast, a ritual we started a long time ago. Just some he/she time over some food and coffee. I kinda like it.
We got back home and went to work While I worked indoors she and my Dad worked on the garden.

We finished our chores and spent a good part of the day just plain ol' relaxing. It felt good to do nothing. But it was all gonna change...

The Missus had heard about a new restaurant in Lakeview. So we saddled up and rode over. Keith tagged along since Dad was buying.

My genetic misfit.

His ride, a 2002 Honda CBR600F4i

And his Cop magnet helmet decor. Straight out of Mad Max.

I had heard a rumour that there was something happening out at Gastons Resort, so we hustled over there to check it out. Sure enough, things were happening.

I saw this. a Henderson Super X

It was parked next to this Cushman.

Both were parked under the wing of this way cool DC-3

From here on out will just be some pics of vintage USA, Russian, and Chinese birds on the ground and in the air. The sound of those old radial engines just made my heart beat faster. Enjoy!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #56
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,261
Very nice, but... CHILI'S? CHILI'S!!!!! Cmon, feasting on asphalt, Alton Brown, 1st rule, NO CHAIN RESTAURANTS!!!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #57
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
love those planes, dc3 still flying is awesome, i wanna ride in one.
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:38 AM   #58
jarobi
Quadpolar disordered

Oddometer: 3
Chili's was just a return to the realm of the known from the unknown of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom that was Room #8 at the Mt Ida hotel. There were actually slugs in the bathroom. Besides me, I mean. Real snails with no shells.
jarobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #59
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,261
Ahhh, hehe. Agreed, probably didn't want to take a chance on a home grown place after mt. ida. Ick.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:24 AM   #60
nevermind
Swamp Thing

If I ever get the coin, I'd love to own a DC-3. Something about that aircraft just does if for me... That and the P-51.

Thanks for sharing, U-Jay