Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Sideoff OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Myanmar Information?

Hey all -

My GF and I want to buy bikes and check out Myanmar. From Mandalay. In January. Not sure for how long, maybe 3-4 weeks. Seems like a lot of the mountainous/border regions are closed to foreigners without a special permit.

- How hard is it to get these permits once we're on the ground, can they be arranged/negotiated? I've seen backpacker posts saying up to a month to arrange beforehand. Ideally we'd show up and sort it out, since we don't know where we want to go yet, but not sure if that's possible?

- Are there any extended mountainous loops that don't cross the restricted areas but still get into small curvy roads & villages and interesting terrain?

We'll be on 100-150cc local bikes. Probably covering no more than 100 miles/day. Looks like tons of epic terrain to explore but lots of rules about where foreigners can/can't go. I spent a month in Myanmar 12+ years ago, but in a car not a bike, and the situation was a lot more restrictive then. Thx for any info!

Pete
Sideoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
TBR
One Life ~ Live It

Oddometer: 616
1st. Myanmar Tachileik Bike Week 2014

https://www.facebook.com/pages/1st-M..._type=bookmark

Contact points
For more information about the bike week festival, please contact Mr. Paskorn (Jai) Phone : +66-83-768 0707
Email : redeagle.jai@gmail.com
Line : pasakorn.jai
Facebook : redeagle.jai

For details and programs of the bike week, please access the below.
Facebook : 1st Myanmar Tachileik Bike Week
Twitter : Tachileik Bike Week
Instagram : Tachileik Bike Week
Tango : Tachileik Bike Week Google : Tachileik Bike Week

Invitation response, Confirmation, Hotels booking and registering for Kyaing Tong Mong Lar trip, please contact the below
Mr. San Kyaw (General Manager)
Eastern Eagle (Myanmar) Co., Ltd. Address : 53 Tha Zin Street, Tar Law, Tachileik, Myanmar
Myanmar Phone : +95 92 502 06312
Thai Phone : 095-709 3331
Email : tachileikbikeweek@gmail.com
Fax : +95-84 51176

Ms. Ayeyawaddy (Assistant Manager)
Myanmar Phone : +95-93 6042660
Thai Phone : 089-636 8849
Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Sideoff OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the leads! I'll reach out to those guys and see if they have any info. Here's some info I just got from a recent traveler who tried to cross in from Thailand with a foreign registered bike, for any future travelers who stumble on this post:

I didn't have a Myanmar visa in advance and crossed from Mai sai into Tachilek. They don't allow foreign bikes into the country unless you have ownership paperwork and because mine was a rental, I couldn't bring the bike. They also take your passport at the border which is disconcerting.

From Tachilek you were only allowed as far as Kentung and to get there, you had to hire a gov't "guide" to spy on you. If you're going to buy a bike in Thailand and bring it over the border, you may be able to get it in. For the most part I've heard it's hard to bring a bike in if you have a visa in advance and nearly impossible if you don't.

Since we're starting in Mandalay, the above area is off limits anyway, because the main road from Mandalay to Ken Tung is closed to foreigners based on everything I've been able to find. A shame since it looks like a really cool area to explore. Very few roads on google maps, but when you switch to google earth we can see tons of little roads snaking through the mountains.

Thinking about going the other way, west toward Chin State, which is apparently open and unrestricted now.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
TBR
One Life ~ Live It

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoff View Post
Thanks for the leads! I'll reach out to those guys and see if they have any info...
Not trying to take any action away from the ADVrider forums but might be worthwhile to have a look over at http://www.rideasia.net as most of the members on the RA forum reside nearby Myanmar in Thailand and someone could shed some more light on travelling into and around Myanmar and has reliable info available... nuff' said... safe travels!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Along with Rideasia for motorcycle information on Myanmar you could try here also if you like, GTRider.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-mot...orum/forum.php

koh kood screwed with this post 11-27-2014 at 09:43 PM
koh kood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #6
TimBurma
n00b

Oddometer: 2
The only two areas where tourists are outright banned from riding (when not on a prearranged/ organized tour)-as far as I know-are Bagan and the area around Inle lake. The other areas depend on the security situation at the time. Last year my dad took one of my bikes all the way up to the China border, no problem, a little later I rode up to a little after Lashio, also no problem. Then a couple of months ago another guy took one of my bikes up and was turned away just north of Lashio. I'll check to see if the road is open again. Another guy also is currently out on a self drive on one of my bikes through Kachin State, so I'll have more news on whats ok when he gets back.

Cheers.
TimBurma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:18 AM   #7
TimBurma
n00b

Oddometer: 2
New info

Hiya,

Chap just got back with my bike from Kachin state(Northwestern Myanmar) and it seems all clear. He went from Mandalay, all the way to the Indian border, then took a loop road back so he wouldn't have to drive the same route. He had a blast, said the drive was hard, but awesome (spent a few days without seeing blacktop roads). Dirt bike is a must. Convinced me to try it as soon as I get time off....Will see if I can bum some pics off of him in the next few days.

Northern Shan state is now totally closed because of the security situation.....which is a pity. Pretty much anything north of Hsipaw/Thibaw is not advisable, and certainly nothing past Lashio is possible at the moment. Which is a pity as it's a really lovely ride.

Hope that's a help.

Cheers, Tim.
TimBurma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #8
Sideoff OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks for all the up to date info! We're back now, spent about 4 weeks riding in Vietnam and Laos. For me, Myanmar will have to be on a future trip. Hoping some of the border areas will chill out a bit by then. I am over in SE Asia frequently for work. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing more off-the-main-track trip reports from myanmar. Pete
Old Yesterday, 02:05 AM   #9
fadingfastsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Just left Myanmar 2 days ago. I spent most of my time in Yangon, and apparently you can't legally ride motorcycles/scooters in the city limits. I asked around and it sounded like it's not hard or too strict to rent a bike (probably small cc scooter though) in Mandalay or Bagan area. Hope this helps, I know it's not any concrete info. Amazing country though!
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote