ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #1
Dieselpwr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
BRP question

Heading down from NJ in a couple weeks. The plan is to slab it down 81 towards the Va/NC border, stay the night, head back North on the BRP, sleep somewhere on the Parkway, and then slab it back home on the third day.
Looking for a suggestion for a good place to stay the first night.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 5,241
The most scenic portion of the BRP in my opinion is the southern most section between Cherokee and Asheville.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Voyager II
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
agree with mb90535im. the farther south you go, the better the terrain becomes. should be some very nice hotels/cabins in the area. check web sites to fit your budget/time, etc.

2005 1200 GS
Voyager II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
B. Myers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
you could stay around Marion/Abington, Va area...hit 421 in Shady Valley, then 58 E to Meadows of Dan and then N to home on BRP
B. Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
holdingfate
Useless

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Myers View Post
you could stay around Marion/Abington, Va area...hit 421 in Shady Valley, then 58 E to Meadows of Dan and then N to home on BRP
Or stay in Bristol, ride 421 to Boone, hop on the BRP and head north. 58 E from Damascus is a great ride, but that area will be crawling with hippies as it's Trail Days this weekend.
holdingfate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
The most scenic portion of the BRP in my opinion is the southern most section between Cherokee and Asheville.

I would extend that a little further. There are some nice views between Asheville and Blowing Rock. After that it gets a little dull.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot screwed with this post 05-26-2015 at 08:21 PM
thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 5,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperpilot View Post
I would extend that a little further. There are some nice views between Asheville and Blowing Rock. After that it's gets a little dull.

Agree. I stopped for the evening in Blowing Rock the last time I rode the BRP south to north. Cool little town.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Pisgah Inn is a great place to stay. Great restaurant too.
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
Kawi-Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
The Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground ($45 per night) is one of my favorites. Also, for a nice hotel the Little Switzerland Hotel at mile marker 334 (I think) is a great place. Of course it is higher end than the campground but that is two of my favorites.
91 ZX 11
78 Z1R
Kawi-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #10
curtis6870
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
I suggest you avoid Cherokee, and make the previous access point at Maggie Valley your Southernmost stop. Cherokee is really nothing more than a trinkets/trash tourist trap. Stay at Holiday Motel in Maggie. Its an old Motor Lodge that has been renovated and is frequented by motorcyclists. There are restaraunts in walking distance, with Parkway just a few miles.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:06 AM   #11
AlH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I'd have to agree starting that far north you'd be missing the very best of the BRP.
If there is any way you could maybe start at the same spot but head south it would be tremendously better.
I'd also do it on weekdays if at all possible, much less crowded and therefore much more pleasant!
Did about 200 miles in the area from Little Switzerland then south yesterday- very little traffic, perfect riding temperatures.
AlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 AM   #12
Dieselpwr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Thanks for all the tips.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #13
4PawsHacienda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Agree that the BRP is far more scenic the closer you get to the southern end. Tough to make it that far in your timeframe though. I'm guessing that you want to reward yourself with a couple of fun days riding after slabbing down from NJ.
If you'll find Hungry Mothers StatePark in VA on google maps you'll see that it is on Hwy 16, a heck of a road that heads up into WVA where you can find some roads heading back to where you live.

I live near Fancy Gap VA where the BRP and Hwy 77 intersect. If you decide thats far enough to slab to your first day I can suggest plenty of places to stay and some good roads other than the BRP and it's enforced speed limits and slow traffic.

Relax, see some sights (Foster Falls, Burkes Garden, Indian Valley) then pick up 16 and have a curvy cruise mostly north to Beckley WVA then slab home one way or another. 64 and 81 are pretty good roads on a bike.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
Dieselpwr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
Agree that the BRP is far more scenic the closer you get to the southern end. Tough to make it that far in your timeframe though. I'm guessing that you want to reward yourself with a couple of fun days riding after slabbing down from NJ.
If you'll find Hungry Mothers StatePark in VA on google maps you'll see that it is on Hwy 16, a heck of a road that heads up into WVA where you can find some roads heading back to where you live.

I live near Fancy Gap VA where the BRP and Hwy 77 intersect. If you decide thats far enough to slab to your first day I can suggest plenty of places to stay and some good roads other than the BRP and it's enforced speed limits and slow traffic.

Relax, see some sights (Foster Falls, Burkes Garden, Indian Valley) then pick up 16 and have a curvy cruise mostly north to Beckley WVA then slab home one way or another. 64 and 81 are pretty good roads on a bike.
Although I would love to make it down near Asheville, Fancy Gap is definitely more realistic. Any recommendations on lodging and places to eat would be great. And of course twisty roads are always great.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
Although I would love to make it down near Asheville, Fancy Gap is definitely more realistic. Any recommendations on lodging and places to eat would be great. And of course twisty roads are always great.
If you are willing to stop about 45 minutes north of Fancy Gap the Hotel Floyd in Floyd Va. is very nice and reasonably priced. For dinner if you want something upscale with a view try the Chateau Morrisette winery, if you like Italian Mickey G's in Floyd is good.