ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #1576
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by mica
Where is the frikken Tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Uh oh!

Someone is experiencing withdrawal!
mnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #1577
Elkhound
Hunting Dog

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Where is the frikken Tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Chomping at the bit!

Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #1578
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,271
And now, the tag

Didn't go as far as I planned and the gator's not on an airport runway. But Ali is at least outside of the beltway.
TAG SHOT:

Close up of the sign and clue to where this is:

There are trail maps on the web so this shouldn't be too hard to find. But it will be a surprise.

The path goes downhill and through a fence, with a tree to the left of the fence opening. Looking up the hill toward the bike and sign, the tree is at the right edge of this photo:

Ali is waiting at the base of the tree (Several type of oak here) and partially under a couple of leaves.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #1579
DMM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Grab...

You know how places look different by night than they do by day? I seem to forget just how very different everything looks in the dark until I experience it once again.

It was mostly clear tonight with what appeared to be a waxing (near full) moon. I noticed a planet near to Luna, but I couldn't recall which one would be up that high at this time of night at this time of year.
The air was muggy. The temperature is cooling off, but the air is damp and makes the skin feel a little clammy. And the roads were draped with tendrils of fog, especially along areas near the river and streams.

I found Alli, sitting high above the beltway. I'll just say this, finding Alli in the dark, even with a flashlight, was a bit of work. Which tree was it exactly? How do I get over there in this damp and steeply sloped ground with so much debris? Alli blends into the background particularly well at night - under leaves, by trees, in the dirt.

I had a drop point in mind, but found that I'd misremembered it. There was no lighting, the road was much farther from the sign that I'd had in mind, there wasn't a good place to try to pull off the road near to the sign, still no street lighting, and my flashlight was waning. So, I headed back home, passing other possible drop points, but all were too general - no specific spot, just general areas of history or interest.

So, the new tag will have to go up tomorrow. Ditto for the photos of the grab.
DMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #1580
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,860
SWEEEET!!!!!!! GRAB!!!

As an experienced night grabber I was going stay far away from that Tag at night.

Excellent job and you used waxing AND waning in your post.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #1581
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,860
Want to say thanks!! to you guys I bugged for some mechanical advice, much appreciated.

An extra thank you to Kurlee who helped me change out the front sprocket back to the original. WOW big difference! I love this bike. Also to his father who is some kind of motorcycle Rain Man. He would come out occasionally... look... tell us what we were doing wrong and blamo! problem solved. Seriously -this guy knows his stuff.

Kurlee officially ordained me into the Order of Hooligans and it was a blast. His bike equally as loud as mine, we terrorized women and children from Manassas to Woodbridge.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:40 AM   #1582
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,271
Nice grab DMM, and at 1 am at that!

For the map, this is the southwest corner of the American Legion bridge, crossing the Potomac and the first stand of trees in Va. The nearest address is 600 Live Oak Drive, 22101. DMM could've turned around and underhanded a rock onto the beltway. If he didn't slip and fall on that hill.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #1583
Elkhound
Hunting Dog

Oddometer: 993
Outstanding grab DMM. Also, your writing makes it even better.
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #1584
OhToRide
n00bette with ADV spirit

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Excellent job and you used waxing AND waning in your post.
I liked : "and the roads were draped with tendrils of fog"
OhToRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #1585
DMM
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluhduh Dang it...

Well, here's the tag. At least the photos that remain. Somehow, I've lost the shots from last night and a few from today. I will have to recheck the camera to see if it is keeping some images on the internal memory and placing others on the removable card.

This location is just off of a prime road in Virginia. You might also call it a premium roadway or a premier roadway. As a matter of fact, it was once a (if not the) major thoroughfare. Now, it is home to too many strip malls.

The road is named for a city in Virginia (at least, it is where this tag is situated). North of that stretch, the road is named for a once famous (infamous, depending on your point of view) Virginian. This fellow even made the VA city (see just above) his base of operations.

The tag site is situated on the property of another famous site. The second site was once part of yet another famous site/property that sits just to the north of the first two sites (i.e., tag site and the surrounding property). The second and third properties once belonged to another famous Virginian.

The house of moderate cost is not only America’s major architectural problem but the problem most difficult for her major architects. -A famous American architect, 1936

This architect's solution was known as the Usonian house. The tag location is a classic example of this design.

The grab photos, tag shot, and other photos to be added soon (I hope).

For now, Happy hunting.

Edit: Tag shot added (4:58pm):

Alli, peeking out from the chives in the planter.

Extraneous photos:

Another reptilian resident of this home:

DMM screwed with this post 08-04-2009 at 01:58 PM
Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #1586
DMM
Gnarly Adventurer

BTW - I have the missing photos, but I can't get them off of the camera at the moment. They are supposedly on the memory card, but they don't appear when plugging the card into the computer. I'll have to get the camera-computer connection cord to see if I can download them directly.

Oh, yes. One last bit of advice for the hunters - this place is closed today and tomorrow, so it's a great time to stop by and visit - no tourists and no staffers. I parked the bike right in front of the house. Tag shot to prove it forthcoming (I hope).

As always, more clues available if needed.

Cheers.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #1587
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Humm... Familiar location.

I think the front gate gets closed after hours so night time grabbing opportunities will likely require Evel Knievel antics or lock picks.
mnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #1588
DMM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnd
Humm... Familiar location.

I think the front gate gets closed after hours so night time grabbing opportunities will likely require Evel Knievel antics or lock picks.
I hadn't noticed gates, but they may be at the "guard house" along the main road. Once past that spot, it's just up to the parking lot and looping back around to get to the drive way for this house.
Of course, Evel Knievel antics are always ill advised yet warmly welcomed here.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #1589
DMM
Gnarly Adventurer

Found 'em.

Tag shot:

Another shot of the house:

Detailing by the front entrance:

The front entrance:

Around back:

And... the shots from last night. Alli's in there somewhere.

Grainy tag (grab) shot from last night:
Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #1590
MojaveGS
Loving it!

Oddometer: 3,734
Tagged.

Had to dismount and walk through the woods. Hot when wearing riding pants, boots.

Pope Leighey House...again.
VTTMZFPKWGDKZXTJCDIGKUHUAUEKCAR

MojaveGS screwed with this post 08-04-2009 at 06:44 PM
MojaveGS is offline   Reply With Quote