ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #10906
geoff2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
Alcatraz??
Yes! Well done!
geoff2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #10907
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
XDrag, outstanding pre-holiday grab!
Thanks, but . . . "Rule No. 1:" Do NOT, if avoidable, attempt ANY grab south on I-95 on a Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend!

As in, three hours to go 36 miles . . . hey, do they make an AUTO-CLUTCH for these things?

Hassle Lane (I did not find this tag alone; an anonymous forum member disclosed the location to me) is rather obscure; dilapidated street sign off Rocky Run Road, in close proximity to another "Lane," much better sign . . . narrow dirt pathway . . .

Anyhow, proceeding down Hassle Lane, I meet a skip loader headed my way; hardly enough room for the two vehicles to meet on the roadway.

Stopped and showed the operator the tag picture of the well and pump; gentleman said, "I know the well, but don't recognize the bike!"

I explained the bike owner took the photo.

My new friend said; "That location is on MY property! I don't understand how you [motorcyclists] can run up and down this PRIVATE DRIVE without permission!"

I said I saw no signs indicating Hassle Lane as private property; I was assured I WOULD see such an indication, if I made it to the navigable end of the lane.

I said I was certain the photographer was unaware of the private property status of Hassle Lane; tried to explain an alligator was hidden at the base of the pump pipe.

"You can go get your alligator," my host said, "but don't come back without permission!"

We proceeded on our opposite ways; I retrieved Ali on the edge of . . . I would say I saw over a thousand contiguous or proximate acres of forest and farmland, recently denuded, clear-cut and bulldozed; all for housing developments . . . the tentacles of MEGALOPOLIS extend greedily into the countryside hereabouts . . . look for even WORSE traffic, when these McMansions become occupied (Route 17 already a sea of green traffic lights, with traffic stalled because every intersection is choked . . . ).

XDragRacer screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:42 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #10908
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

I took Ali away, ending up on a road terminating on a Point.

Although I thought elections were over, we encountered what appeared to be a political rally; each attendee carrying a sign or waving a banner reading, "I Go Pogo!"

The crowd consisted of small woodland creatures of all persuasions, unified by their support for this Pogo candidate.

Guard rail on southern side of roadway leading to tag location, east of railroad crossing bridge:

Roundabout at tag site encourages a counter-clockwise traffic pattern:

Oh, yes . . . forgot to mention; Ali met an old friend and associate at the rally--Albert Alligator!

XDragRacer screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:15 PM
Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #10909
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,037
Sorry that you had a "confrontation". I looked for a private sign at the head of the road and saw none. The only signs I saw that that made me stop was the sign at the tag location that stated going any further was trespassing on Stafford County property. When I got there, there was a truck sitting in that spot next to the sign. I sat there on the concrete pump house for a few minutes and made a phone call,,, the guy waved to me and left.

I too was shocked at the clear cutting in the area,,,, there is no way those roads in that area are going to handle the traffic.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #10910
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Sorry that you had a "confrontation". I looked for a private sign at the head of the road and saw none.
As in dialog from Laurel and Hardy movies, "A fine mess you've gotten us into THIS time, Stanley!"

I honestly saw no, "Private Drive" sign off Rocky Run Road myself, although I've notably missed such clues previously.

The "Coakley Lane," or whatever the adjacent roadway is named, by contrast, had a sharp and eminently readable sign, compared to Hassle Lane's. No indication of a private roadway obvious to me, in either case.

As I approached the tag, I was greeted by a cacophany of loud barking from a kennel of what appeared to be hunting dogs of some sort (not, I think, fox hounds, as one might find near Middleburg). One free yard dog pursued me, and in fact, caught me, for all intents and purposes, as I slowed at the turn-around near the well.

I began to wonder, if these dogs had their rabies vaccinations; whether my Harley faux motorcross boots might resist the canine fangs . . .

Fortunately, after his chase was done, the dog faced the proverbial predicament: He didn't know what to DO with me, after he CAUGHT me!

After I stopped, he casually trotted off, back to doubtless tell lies to his species mates, still penned up back at the kennel.

Didn't see Mr. Skip Loader again, on my way out. A couple of older, Tara wannabe homes stand on the lane, along with some more-or-less, upscale Tobacco Road dwellings.

Maybe it's sour grapes, but . . . I imagine some barbs reside on the, "American Dream of Luxury Home Ownership" hooks out that way, when thousands of additional commuters fly like bats out of and into hell at rush hour, during their daily appointed rounds.

Yeah, yeah, I know; free country, free enterprise, freedom of choice, etc. Yet, congestion carries a price tag; here's hoping something of value results.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #10911
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
I took some road off of Gum SPrings to find another way to Rt50 yesterday. I came across the same scene, but these homes had been built. Who are all of these people moving here and what will they do for work?? How can the roads support all of this traffic and why are the developers allowed to destroy the countryside in such a way?? This area is going to be one gigantic RLD in a couple of years.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #10912
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Well, grabbers and taggers!

On this most primo day of the year for the activity, not a move!

Received one correct solution by PM, but . . . need more clues?

Here's a bonus:

"We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

Plenty more in the hopper; let me know if you need 'em!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #10913
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,037
I know where it is but I'm up in NY for a few days.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #10914
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
I know where it is but I'm up in NY for a few days.
Not a problem, Boatman; looks like Ali will still be there, whenever you get back!

Yours makes the third known correct location solution.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #10915
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Not a problem, Boatman; looks like Ali will still be there, whenever you get back!

Yours makes the third known correct location solution.

I can hunt the little buggar down on Tuesday
Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #10916
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
Perhaps, but not at Possum Point. . ..

Grab: Virginia Electric and Power Company, Possum Point Power Station,
19000 Possum Point Road. Dumfries, Virginia

Neat tag, another area I never knew existed. Nice water views, probably better views in better weather. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #10917
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Tag:

Hidden at the base of the sign:

Marked with an "A" like so:

Looking left:

Looking right:

The clues: This artist is known for his blown glass creations. http://www.grahamcaldwell.com/

If you look Up and Down, this sculpture will be an easy find.

This tag is HBN friendly.

Happy Tagging!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #10918
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #10919
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Don't go, I want to get this one!
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #10920
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like the S10 is in a race with Stella!

Plus, how can I Bruce you on the next one if you make the grab?