Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 111 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #1501
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
Bump because this was on page 2

Been "out" of the gun scene for several years until I ran across this and the "I Love This Gun" thread...caused me to go out and buy two guns in the last month. Picked up a CZ-75 Compact and then yesterday a Marlin 39A...always liked the Marlin's.

So...anybody got a Williams or Redfield receiver sight for a Marlin 39A that they would be willing to part with? I have a Williams that fits a Winchester 94 if anyone is interested.
That is a really nice pair of guns.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #1502
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Bump because this was on page 2

Been "out" of the gun scene for several years until I ran across this and the "I Love This Gun" thread...caused me to go out and buy two guns in the last month. Picked up a CZ-75 Compact and then yesterday a Marlin 39A...always liked the Marlin's.

So...anybody got a Williams or Redfield receiver sight for a Marlin 39A that they would be willing to part with? I have a Williams that fits a Winchester 94 if anyone is interested.
What should I pay for a Marlin 39A with scope?
Condition good to very good circa 1968-1970.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #1503
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
I love my 39A, just wish I had a place around here that would allow me to stretch its legs a bit.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #1504
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I love my 39A, just wish I had a place around here that would allow me to stretch its legs a bit.
Florida is even worse, all flat with lots of trees and suburbia.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #1505
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
What should I pay for a Marlin 39A with scope?
Condition good to very good circa 1968-1970.
Marlin lever guns have gotten pricey & the 39A is no exception. I am seeing them both locally and on the net for $500-$600...used guns in good condition. I paid $375 for mine at a gunshop in S. IL...found out why when I got it home and could not get it to feed any of several varieties of ammo. After a little research on the web I figured out it was missing a part. No big deal...I have a great gun store a half mile from the house. Ten minutes and a $3.00 part later and I am in business.

Took it and it's big brother (.44 mag.) for a walk today & even with the semi-buckhorn rear it is a fine shooter. I will have a Williams receiver sight on it soon...then get it on the bench and see what it will do. Better than me no doubt.

Edit: Unless the scope on the gun you are looking at is a quality piece (Leupold, Redfield etc.) I would not give a nickle extra for it. I am not a big fan of scopes on the lever guns as in my opinion they detract from the looks and general "handiness" of the rifles. I am in my 60's and can still shoot pretty well with a good set of iron sights. In addition to the 39A I also have Marlin lever guns in .357 mag., .44 mag., and 45/70...I view them as 100 yard guns anyway. YMMV

WaywardSon screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 11:13 PM
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #1506
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Marlin lever guns have gotten pricey & the 39A is no exception. I am seeing them both locally and on the net for $500-$600...used guns in good condition. I paid $375 for mine at a gunshop in S. IL...found out why when I got it home and could not get it to feed any of several varieties of ammo. After a little research on the web I figured out it was missing a part. No big deal...I have a great gun store a half mile from the house. Ten minutes and a $3.00 part later and I am in business.

Took it and it's big brother (.44 mag.) for a walk today & even with the semi-buckhorn rear it is a fine shooter. I will have a Williams receiver sight on it soon...then get it on the bench and see what it will do. Better than me no doubt.

Edit: Unless the scope on the gun you are looking at is a quality piece (Leupold, Redfield etc.) I would not give a nickle extra for it. I am not a big fan of scopes on the lever guns as in my opinion they detract from the looks and general "handiness" of the rifles. I am in my 60's and can still shoot pretty well with a good set of iron sights. In addition to the 39A I also have Marlin lever guns in .357 mag., .44 mag., and 45/70...I view them as 100 yard guns anyway. YMMV
Thanks for your confirmation of value. Seller is looking for $350-400.
I agree the scope is totally out of character on a lever action like the 39A.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #1507
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Florida is even worse, all flat with lots of trees and suburbia.
Need to check out the Ft White Gun Club.

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #1508
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Need to check out the Ft White Gun Club.
My son and I went out sunday for THREE AND A HALF HOURS...and just shot up everything, paper, old cooking pans, old eggs, steel plates....

He started with his winchester model 190 and we had some problems with it not wanting to fire....after looking it is getting very light strikes so I ordered a new fireing pin and spring...if that does not fix it I will take it to someone to look at.

He ended up shooting my old mauser single shot and the nylon 66 all afternoon....a better time could not be had for the price of a brick of .22 ammo....I am very sore (remember I am broken) but we both had the time of our life.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #1509
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
My son and I went out sunday for THREE AND A HALF HOURS...and just shot up everything, paper, old cooking pans, old eggs, steel plates....

He started with his winchester model 190 and we had some problems with it not wanting to fire....after looking it is getting very light strikes so I ordered a new fireing pin and spring...if that does not fix it I will take it to someone to look at.

He ended up shooting my old mauser single shot and the nylon 66 all afternoon....a better time could not be had for the price of a brick of .22 ammo....I am very sore (remember I am broken) but we both had the time of our life.
I had a Win 190 that did the same thing. I gave it to my brother because I could never figure it out and was tired of trying. I read years later that the barrel moves away from it's location in the receiver. Not a firing pin problem. YMMV
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #1510
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Is anyone in here plinking with a M&P 15/22?? I dont really need another rifle but this gun has caught my eye. I have read the first gens had some issues. How are the latest models doing? Any reason to spend the extra coin on the performance center model?
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #1511
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Is anyone in here plinking with a M&P 15/22?? I dont really need another rifle but this gun has caught my eye. I have read the first gens had some issues. How are the latest models doing? Any reason to spend the extra coin on the performance center model?
Same here, also a question...if I got one while here in MA with the 10 round compliant magazine and moved out of state would the 25 round fit? Also for anyone from MA, if I got a CCW large capacity would that cover that rifle as well or is there specific legislation against them?

It looks like a great lightweight gun to get back into shooting with.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #1512
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
word is the performance center is no more accurate than the base line M&P 15/22
mine has never had a hiccup in thousands and thousands of rounds , and they have a lifetime warranty anyway.
incredibly fun rifle to shoot... buy lots of mags 25 rounds go thru it pretty damn quick .
it hits where you point it .
I also have its baby brother the M&P 15/22 pistol (discontinued now) between the two of them you can piss away two boxes of federal 550 bulk pretty quick
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #1513
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Awesome, thanks for the info. My wife has never really shot rifles so I am hoping a 22 will spark her interest. She loves pistols so I think a stack of 25 rd mags will keep her smiling. Looks like I wil be m&p shopping this weekend. :)
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #1514
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,804
I've got a MP 15/22 also. Probably have a 1000 rds through it. An occasional misfire, but that's the cheap ammo's fault. Fun gun to shoot and reasonably accurate, unless you're used to an Anshutz. The triggers a little heavy on mine.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #1515
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I had a Win 190 that did the same thing. I gave it to my brother because I could never figure it out and was tired of trying. I read years later that the barrel moves away from it's location in the receiver. Not a firing pin problem. YMMV
Drat....hope that is not the problem....but for $20 in parts I guess it is worth a try.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: