User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 110 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #1561
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 852
Love the Full Stock. I've got the CZ Military Trainer big fun.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #1562
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

Now go google the P22 bible!
Yep, make sure those trigger ears have been smoothed, otherwise they'll tear up the slide.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #1563
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Yep, make sure those trigger ears have been smoothed, otherwise they'll tear up the slide.
Thanks guys, I found the P22 bible. I'll start check it out and doing the mods.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #1564
Sauterelle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I'm looking at these two pistols:
The Smith & Wesson M&P 22-12 and the Ruger SR22

Thoughts? Experiences?
Sauterelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #1565
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauterelle View Post
i'm looking at these two pistols:
the smith & wesson m&p 22-12 and the ruger sr22

thoughts? Experiences?
sr22!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #1566
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauterelle View Post

Thoughts? Experiences?
Just looking at the specs, there's quite a bit of difference in size and weight.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #1567
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
sr22!
Have you drunk the Kool-Aid, and is your P22 doomed to a lonely life in the back of the safe now?
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #1568
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Have you drunk the Kool-Aid, and is your P22 doomed to a lonely life in the back of the safe now?
I'll get which ever I have the money for really.

I like the looks and ergos of the P22, can't say the same or different for the SR until I handle one.

The biggest factor is the da/SA trigger on the SR, they're both just plinkers, but it's hard to beat that point.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #1569
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
What is the advantage of the SR22 over the tried and true MK3? I would be hard pressed to justify the purchase of any other rimfire pistol in that price range. I mean come on and look at this thing, its sexy as hell!

Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #1570
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauterelle View Post

Thoughts? Experiences?
The MP22 is more of a training pistol. It's the same size as the standard MP. The SR22 is more compact. 3/4 size. Grerat for plinking and teaching new shooters with small hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
What is the advantage of the SR22 over the tried and true MK3? I would be hard pressed to justify the purchase of any other rimfire pistol in that price range. I mean come on and look at this thing, its sexy as hell!

A lot actually. If you're wanting a standard semi-auto, then the SR22 is the better choice. It will make the transition easier for those moving up because it's more similar to centerfire's then the MKIII. The SR22 looks to break down a lot easier then the MKIII as well. The MKIII will be more accurate though. Some people might also choose to CCW the SR22. I don't think you'd want to do that with a MKIII,
Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #1571
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
The MP22 is more of a training pistol. It's the same size as the standard MP. The SR22 is more compact. 3/4 size. Grerat for plinking and teaching new shooters with small hands.

A lot actually. If you're wanting a standard semi-auto, then the SR22 is the better choice. It will make the transition easier for those moving up because it's more similar to centerfire's then the MKIII. The SR22 looks to break down a lot easier then the MKIII as well. The MKIII will be more accurate though. Some people might also choose to CCW the SR22. I don't think you'd want to do that with a MKIII,

If that is the only reason I will get a GSG 1911....right now that is by far the most used gun I own. Fits in the exact same holsters at my "real" 1911...everything is in the exact same place...and is almost the same weight.

I really like that gun....and the only problems I have had was feeding the crap remington ammo in it.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #1572
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
If that is the only reason I will get a GSG 1911....right now that is by far the most used gun I own. Fits in the exact same holsters at my "real" 1911...everything is in the exact same place...and is almost the same weight.

I really like that gun....and the only problems I have had was feeding the crap remington ammo in it.
Well, it's not all the reasons but some of the major ones. I think the resurgence of 22LR's is two fold. First you have those who want to train but can't because it's too expensive. A clone of their main gun will allow them to train. Then you have all of the other people who aren't training but still want to shoot. For a long time, there weren't that many 22LR's out there. You basically had the Browning Buckmaster, Ruger MK3, 10/22, Marlin 39a and a few other choices. Now, the market for 22LR is pretty big with a lot more choices.

For a training gun, the only downside to some of the clones I see would be build quality and the ability to really duplicate everything on your centerfire gun. I know Kimber, for a long time has made a 22LR conversion for their 1911's. CA also makes one for their CZ-75. Actually I think both make a dedicated 22LR version as well. Sig had Kimber make 22LR conversion for many of their guns as well. P226, P229R, P229/P228, P220... Advantage Arms makes a 22LR conversion for Glock's as well.

If you're just plinking then matching the gun isn't a concern.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #1573
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Well, it's not all the reasons but some of the major ones. I think the resurgence of 22LR's is two fold. First you have those who want to train but can't because it's too expensive. A clone of their main gun will allow them to train. Then you have all of the other people who aren't training but still want to shoot. For a long time, there weren't that many 22LR's out there. You basically had the Browning Buckmaster, Ruger MK3, 10/22, Marlin 39a and a few other choices. Now, the market for 22LR is pretty big with a lot more choices.

For a training gun, the only downside to some of the clones I see would be build quality and the ability to really duplicate everything on your centerfire gun. I know Kimber, for a long time has made a 22LR conversion for their 1911's. CA also makes one for their CZ-75. Actually I think both make a dedicated 22LR version as well. Sig had Kimber make 22LR conversion for many of their guns as well. P226, P229R, P229/P228, P220... Advantage Arms makes a 22LR conversion for Glock's as well.

If you're just plinking then matching the gun isn't a concern.
This is the reason I bought a conversion for my RIA. I'm using the same exact frame and grip of the gun I would be carrying, so all the controls are as similar as they can be.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #1574
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
The MKIII is a bitch to break down when compared to modern centerfire pistols, I would like to say that once you get the hang of it its no big deal but I've had mine forever and it still fights me sometimes. Now my SR9 I can have cleaned in 5 minutes, but the MK III is still a better looking and firing pistol.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #1575
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
The MKIII is a bitch to break down when compared to modern centerfire pistols, I would like to say that once you get the hang of it its no big deal but I've had mine forever and it still fights me sometimes. Now my SR9 I can have cleaned in 5 minutes, but the MK III is still a better looking and firing pistol.
The MarkIII isn't hard to break down, in fact it's down right easy. It's putting the SOB back together that's tough.

How Ruger created a pistol that's so difficult to assemble, but easy to strip apart has always amazed me.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: