Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #1576
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
The MarkIII isn't hard to break down, in fact it's down right easy. It's putting the SOB back together that's tough.

How Ruger created a pistol that's so difficult to assemble, but easy to strip apart has always amazed me.
That is true. I actually got mine used for a song because the PO broke it down and couldn't put it back together again. It sat for YEARS and then I got a hold of it. I had a gunsmith reassemble it because at the time I wasn't sure if it was missing parts etc and its been nonstop plink plink ever since!

Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #1577
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
If that is the only reason I will get a GSG 1911....right now that is by far the most used gun I own. the only problems I have had was feeding the crap remington ammo in it.
So what do you feed it for trouble-free shooting?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #1578
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
My gsg eats federal champion bulk from gander mtn really well. After a good polish and lube job it runs greats. Winchester 555 bulk didn't feed worth shit.

Super fun gun!!
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #1579
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,991
Grabbed this guy in the right place at the right time:

It's a Mossberg 46M(a) which makes it post war '45-'47. It was missing the rear sight aperture and the buttplate is broken, so it seems to be a real piece of shit...

I ordered the aperture today and I will try to find the rear sling mount and buttplate at the next funshow in March.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #1580
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
The MarkIII isn't hard to break down, in fact it's down right easy. It's putting the SOB back together that's tough.

How Ruger created a pistol that's so difficult to assemble, but easy to strip apart has always amazed me.
I found the secret is not to take it apart. I have a mark1 that I would guess has at least 20,000 rounds thru it.I scrub out the barrel and clean the bolt face and it goes bang every pull of the trigger.

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #1581
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 624
the Ruger MK3's go back together really easy once you lose the mag disconnect , all it takes is one little bushing . The the gun will fire without a mag in it and assembly is easy peasy without having to insert mag pull trigger tip gun up then down blah blah blah .
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #1582
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,775
Yea!

Get the Clark Bushing. Much easier after that. No messing mag in, mag out BS. For the mark 3 also get the LCI filler. So much prettier after.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #1583
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
Grabbed this guy in the right place at the right time:

It's a Mossberg 46M(a) which makes it post war '45-'47. It was missing the rear sight aperture and the buttplate is broken, so it seems to be a real piece of shit...

I ordered the aperture today and I will try to find the rear sling mount and buttplate at the next funshow in March.
Yeah, you're right. That thing is a real POS. I'll take it off your hands so you can move on!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #1584
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Just about anything that is standard vel. or better and copper plated I have have good luck with. Even down to the cheapie white box "dyanpoint" crap. I have not notices any real better groups with the different ammo...but lately I have not been doing that...just poping plates with it from a new black hawk 1911 holster.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #1585
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
Yeah, you're right. That thing is a real POS. I'll take it off your hands so you can move on!
Yeah, I mean look at the front sight on the thing. It's like a little Swiss army knife with 4 different front sight posts...

I'll probably pull the sights and throw them in the trash...

The prior owner couldn't get it to shoot very well... without the rear sight aperture.

You can see the round post aperture, the next in line is a round topped post, the third is "up"in the sight- a skinny short post, and then the fourth is a "fat" short post.

Here the "crappy" rear sight

I may try to make or buy an adjustable aperture for it at some point. And I will probably shell out the $22 for a scope mount JIC...
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #1586
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:

Here's a funny take on the development: http://drfrankenruger.com/legend_of_william_ruger

Here's a product that allows removal of bolt without further disassembly: http://majesticarms.com/id10.html

I've seen and used a MK III with the majestic kit and it works well if you need to remove the bolt for cleaning (mine gets sluggish after 1000 rounds of bulk ammo). I intend to order one soon, probably about the same time that I go to a tensioned barrel.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #1587
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,676
Picked this up yesterday. Fed it some thunderbolts today.

Reallllly like it. Will let it munch on a brick of federal as soon as i can lay my hands on one.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #1588
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post

Reallllly like it. Will let it munch on a brick of federal as soon as i can lay my hands on one.

Please let us know how it turns out, I would love to get a 1911 in 22lr. Can you say why you went with the GSG?
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #1589
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post

gsgpro.com has a nice recoil spring and full length steel guide rod which helps my gsg run better. I also pulled out the mag saftey. Just drop the main spring housing and pull out the little spring and arm. Takes a whole 2 min.

Be sure to field strip it and clean out all the nasty white grease. Also, watch what lube you use on the slide. I tried some different grease Friday and it thickened up in the cold weather and the slide wouldnt cycle fast enough.

These suckers are super fun to shoot. My only gripes are the shitty sights and the price of extra mags. I may pick up another for my wife
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #1590
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Please let us know how it turns out, I would love to get a 1911 in 22lr. Can you say why you went with the GSG?

It was there and I liked the feel. That's really about it. I like the feel even more now that I've ran some rounds through it.

gripes: ambi saftey... I can't actuate it with my left thumb. I'm not a leftie so no big deal.
grips: hard plastic. Eh... no biggie. new grips or grow a callous.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: