Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #1606
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Just got back from the local gun store. I wanted to hold a GSG 1911 but they were out of them. I checked the Ruger 22/45. It seemed pretty nice and @ $249 pretty reasonably priced. Any cons to this piece? What won't it feed? Thanks
I've got a 22/45, only cons are the old re-assembly blues and the looks, if you don't like them. Everybody loves the GSGs, I'm a little leary of them yet for some reason. I'd bet the Ruger is more accurate, but I'd also bet that most people would never notice. My 22/45 has fed every kind of ammo I've thrown at it. The only think it has had problems with was some Federal Auto Match, but that was a bad box that was even giving my 10/22 fits. Next box was just fine.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #1607
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I've got a 22/45, only cons are the old re-assembly blues and the looks, if you don't like them. Everybody loves the GSGs, I'm a little leary of them yet for some reason. I'd bet the Ruger is more accurate, but I'd also bet that most people would never notice. My 22/45 has fed every kind of ammo I've thrown at it. The only think it has had problems with was some Federal Auto Match, but that was a bad box that was even giving my 10/22 fits. Next box was just fine.
I've got both and like them for different reasons. The gsg1911 obviously is closer to the platform that it's trying mock. I've found the 22/45 to be more accurate and I believe that's due to the sights and barrel to be mated instead of the barrel/slide setup of the gsg1911.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #1608
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I've found the 22/45 to be more accurate and I believe that's due to the sights and barrel to be mated instead of the barrel/slide setup of the gsg1911.
good point, I hadn't considered that.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #1609
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,079
I really like the feel of this gsg. This is my first 1911. Actually come to think of it, it's my first auto handgun. It just.... fits.

I handled a few buckmarks and they didn't sit right for me for whatever reason.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #1610
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I really like the feel of this gsg. This is my first 1911. Actually come to think of it, it's my first auto handgun. It just.... fits.

I handled a few buckmarks and they didn't sit right for me for whatever reason.
Looks like you may have big hands....I like my GSG quite a bit...but I love the feel of my old woodsman. The gsg is fun to death but I do have to make an adjustment to get to things on the gun...drop the mag for example.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #1611
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Remington 40X.....

When you get down to it....is it really worth what they are going for these days? Looking for a target 22 and am having problems deciding on what road to go down. I don't have a problem spending that kind of money, but I don't want to toss it away as well.

On the other end of the scale I was allso looking at a savage mark II FVT...gets good reviews and can be had for under $500 all day and twice on sunday.

Any other things in this range of rifles I should be looking at that you have had good experence....or bad with specific rifles.

Must be a bolt gun
must be able to put aperture/peep/ghost ring.....type sites on the thing.
single shot is ok
must be in .22lr
Old 03-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #1612
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Remington 40X.....

When you get down to it....is it really worth what they are going for these days? Looking for a target 22 and am having problems deciding on what road to go down. I don't have a problem spending that kind of money, but I don't want to toss it away as well.

On the other end of the scale I was allso looking at a savage mark II FVT...gets good reviews and can be had for under $500 all day and twice on sunday.

Any other things in this range of rifles I should be looking at that you have had good experence....or bad with specific rifles.

Must be a bolt gun
must be able to put aperture/peep/ghost ring.....type sites on the thing.
single shot is ok
must be in .22lr
What the x40 brings is allowing you to duplicate your Remington 700/M40/M24.
If you don't have a 700 then it's probably not worth the premium. I wouldn't overlook many of the other old trainer rifles from that era. Winchester, Mossberg, etc...

For something modern, you might check what CZ has.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #1613
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,079
When in doubt.... buy 1100 rds of .22lr.

This oughtta be a noisy weekend. Wish I could get that many .22 WMR for 40$
Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #1614
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,288
What's a 40x going for these days? I drool heavily every time someone posts a picture of one. I'm really liking my Mossberg M44US. Fun to shoot and very accurate. Makes me want to try all the military 22 trainers.

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #1615
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
What's a 40x going for these days?

I paid $600 for the one I posted a couple pages back from the CMP's last release and possibly final release of them. They were offered up and sold out the first day so I was lucky to get one. It's pretty rough looking but shoots well. My particular one was made in 58 and is the USMC variety and had no sights.

http://abuddyforlife.org/
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #1616
pilot
Slacker Moderator

I missed out on the Kimber 82s, too.

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #1617
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
I'm not trying to poke you in the eye with a stick but I got a Kimber with the same order. They sold out of those within a couple weeks of me placing that order. I waited on the Kimber since they seemed to always have them and was lucky I pulled the trigger in time. I haven't shot the Kimber yet.

Wish I tacked a Winchester 52 on that order as well but was having a hard time justifying the expense of two guns much less three.

http://abuddyforlife.org/
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #1618
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Funny how for the longest time they had a hard time selling those.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #1619
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Funny how for the longest time they had a hard time selling those.
Seems like I never had an extra $400 laying around.

I got two of the very last incomplete Mossberg 44s, though. One is great, the other won't feed from the magazine.

- Mista Vern
Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #1620
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What's a 40x going for these days? I drool heavily every time someone posts a picture of one. I'm really liking my Mossberg M44US. Fun to shoot and very accurate. Makes me want to try all the military 22 trainers.
The last one I saw around here they guy was asking $800 for....it you look on GB they are well north of that...but you know how that site is....a little inflated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: