Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #1621
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
The last one I saw around here they guy was asking $800 for....it you look on GB they are well north of that...but you know how that site is....a little inflated.
One of these days, we're going to have to get together with our toys and shoot.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #1622
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
One of these days, we're going to have to get together with our toys and shoot.

You bet...I am waiting for spring....I am a warm weather creature.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #1623
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Remington 40X.....

When you get down to it....is it really worth what they are going for these days? Looking for a target 22 and am having problems deciding on what road to go down. I don't have a problem spending that kind of money, but I don't want to toss it away as well.

On the other end of the scale I was allso looking at a savage mark II FVT...gets good reviews and can be had for under $500 all day and twice on sunday.

Any other things in this range of rifles I should be looking at that you have had good experence....or bad with specific rifles.

Must be a bolt gun
must be able to put aperture/peep/ghost ring.....type sites on the thing.
single shot is ok
must be in .22lr
See if you can find a Remington 513T Targetmaster (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=276082081)
Winchester Model 75 target (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=275957491) or a Mossberg 144 LS (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=275953997, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=275815072, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=275550085)

I have one of each and they are all good guns. Winchester workmanship is best, closely follwed by the Remington, and the Mossberg is really cheaply made. The prices reflect that. I have not had malfunctions with any of them, and all will shoot sub MOA groups all day long.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #1624
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I really like the feel of this gsg. This is my first 1911. Actually come to think of it, it's my first auto handgun. It just.... fits.

I handled a few buckmarks and they didn't sit right for me for whatever reason.

I just sold my buckmark, I may pick one of these up to replace it. I hear they are great with the right ammo.

Only problem is this may force me to buy another 1911 to replace my Kimber eclipse. shouldn't have sold that one.

So how does it shoot?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #1625
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
I just sold my buckmark, I may pick one of these up to replace it. I hear they are great with the right ammo.

Only problem is this may force me to buy another 1911 to replace my Kimber eclipse. shouldn't have sold that one.

So how does it shoot?
It shot great today. Ran about 400 rounds of bulk federal through it. Nary a hiccup. It ate the 200 rounds of thunderbolt with no prolems either. I've got another 550 pack of the remington gold stuff. I'll let you know if it munches on those too.

If I take my time I can fairly often hit can sized stuff out to 50.

I do notice it's starting to nibble away at the very end of the guide rod though. I'm thinking a full sized one in the answer there. Otherwise, no stovepipes, FTF, didn't spit any cases back at me. The guy a few rows down was showring everybody with .223 brass though.

I removed the magazine safety. Took awhile since I'd never had a 1911 style pistol apart before. No sweat now.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #1626
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
I picked up a Sig Mosquito last night for the wife. She loved the purple sparkles on the custom finish frame they make. We took it shooting today and were impressed with it except for its feeding issues. We had a couple bricks of CCI mini mags and a 500 pack of Winchester 36gr. The winchesters were a no-go. It had lots of FTE and FTF in each mag. Made the gun into a complete single shot. The CCI's worked except for the bullets had so much wax covering on them that they wouldn't chamber. It was insane the amount they had. The round would feed, but then I had to push the slide all the way in to force it because the wax stopped it from going in all the way. I have some more experiments to run with different ammo, and also some tips on some gun forums that I need to try. I got the gun for $300 new, so the price was right on. Once this thing feeds right, it might become a favorite of mine. I might need to get myself a manly blued version so I don't have to shoot my wives purple one.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #1627
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,197
Anybody own a GSG and a Ruger 22/45?

I am about to pull the trigger on one or the other. I like how the GSG feels much better but was wondering about quality and accuracy.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #1628
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Anybody own a GSG and a Ruger 22/45?

I am about to pull the trigger on one or the other. I like how the GSG feels much better but was wondering about quality and accuracy.
Here ya go - from the last page......

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I've got both and like them for different reasons. The gsg1911 obviously is closer to the platform that it's trying mock. I've found the 22/45 to be more accurate and I believe that's due to the sights and barrel to be mated instead of the barrel/slide setup of the gsg1911.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #1629
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster View Post
Here ya go - from the last page......
How much more accurate? I'll only be shooting at 4" plates at 10-15 yards. How will the GSG do for that?
Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #1630
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
Quote:
How much more accurate? I'll only be shooting at 4" plates at 10-15 yards. How will the GSG do for that?
If my crappy shooting today was any indication you should be able to do it by smell.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #1631
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Either of mine will do what you want. The 22/45 will be produce even tighter groups.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #1632
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Mine will shoot 2" groups at 25 yards if I do my part

Which doesn't always happen.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #1633
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Thanks! Sounds like I will be looking for a GSG.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #1634
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Thumb Marlin 39A

After a number of years away from the gun scene, I have recently regained interest in what was my first love/hobby/obsession....guns. I remember as a kid...10 maybe, sneaking a flashlight and a Stoeger's catalog in to bed and reading under the covers until the flashlight gave out or I fell asleep.

Fast forward 50 years I ran across this in a pawn shop in Southern Illinois a couple of months ago.

I've rotated this damn picture twice & it keeps coming up like this. WTF:

At any rate, I had always lusted after one of these but was never willing to pony up. The price seemed too good to pass up...and I found out why when I got it home One hundred percent failure to feed! Turned out to be a cheap & easy fix...$3.00 cartridge guide spring. Got to love that!

What seemed like endless rain & wind prevented any range time for a couple of weeks, but I finally caught a good day when I had some time to shoot. So...off to the local gun shop for several different brands of ammo to see what it liked.

Two 5 shot groups with each brand...all at 25 yds. from a rest with the factory iron sights. Hard to do all that well when the bead covers the bull so shot most of these using a 6 o'clock hold. Out of these four it seemed to like the Made in Mexico "Centurion" brand best, but the Remington Game Load wasn't bad either.

Two weeks go by with no shooting...ordered a Williams 5D receiver sight (which I still don't have) and bought a brick of the Centurion ammo. Damn all this stuff is high...last time I was buying ammo (mid 90's) I was paying a bit over ten bucks for a brick of .22's. At any rate, I was able to get out for about an hour this past Saturday to try and get the sights dialed in a little better. Couldn't find a hammer or a punch to drift the rear with...so used an Allen wrench as a punch & a crescent wrench as a hammer I shot the target below at about 15 yds. which was all I could get without walking through a muddy field. Had a sandbag rest across the hood of the truck & was shooting the Centurion ammo. You can see the groups moving to the left each time I tapped on the sight. Last one is on the bottom & it is getting pretty close now. Better sights and younger eyes would help.

Another pic that rotated on it's own. The left hand side is the bottom of the target. Six o'clock hold, so that last 5 shot group is about at point of aim. Had a good time and looking forward to getting out again.

Best........John
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #1635
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Marlin 39A

Wayward,
Put a scope on it. I picked mine up back in 83 when I walked into a local gun shop and saw it marked $125.00. Thought it was a great price and bought it. Shot great with iron sights but I put a 4x weaver on it and it is a tack driver.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: