+ 1
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #1742
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeone View Post
I also have the same set of rifles, and the small remington I have was my fathers when he was a boy, the stock was gone when I got it , and I was able to get a rough cut one and finish it and put it on.The thing has ben fired so many times that the barrel is worn, so the bullet key holes.
You can have the barrel relined reliably, if done properly most folks will never even see that it has been drilled and relined.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #1743
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I've read a few mentions of the AR-7. They have a notorious reputation for feed problems. The Charter Arms versions were the worst. I've read the new Henrys feed fine, as do the original Armalite versions. A slight chamfering of the bottom of the breech usually fixes it. Aside from that they're great. I've had mine for years and love 'em. Top to bottom.
1)Stock Charter Arms.
2)Charter Arms sporterized.
3)Original Armalite built on contract for Israeli Air Force, then reimported to US by Bricklee Trading for surplus sale. This model has a steel barrel and receiver, wire telescoping stock (holds 2 spare magazines), and aluminum barrel extension with three-hole brake. Yes. A muzzle brake on a .22. Apparently the IAF barrels were too short to sell legally in the US so Bricklee added it.

Bevelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #1744
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelhead View Post
I've read a few mentions of the AR-7. They have a notorious reputation for feed problems. The Charter Arms versions were the worst.

AR-7's are fun guns... I own one of the charter arms guns from the 80's ...and when i got it it feed like total crap and one time the firing pin hung out and it went full auto

took it all apart cleaned every knook and cranny and now make sure to use round nose ammo perferably high velocity and it works great and is surprisingly accurate.

oh and it is impossible to get hollow point bullets to feed consistantly
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #1745
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,623
Five of us got together to target shoot this weekend. Steve brought this 1906 Winchester that belonged to his great grandfather. It had not been fired in years. Steve was looking for a volunteer to shoot it first. After inspection, I was certain that it was sound so I agreed to go first. I couldn't pump it. I looked it over for a release and couldn't find one. I handed it off to my brother, who couldn't work it either. So we doused it in WD-40 and let it sit for an hour. That did the trick. By then end of the day, it was actually pretty smooth for a gun this old and neglected.

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #1746
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
Five of us got together to target shoot this weekend. Steve brought this 1906 Winchester that belonged to his great grandfather. It had not been fired in years. Steve was looking for a volunteer to shoot it first. After inspection, I was certain that it was sound so I agreed to go first. I couldn't pump it. I looked it over for a release and couldn't find one. I handed it off to my brother, who couldn't work it either. So we doused it in WD-40 and let it sit for an hour. That did the trick. By then end of the day, it was actually pretty smooth for a gun this old and neglected.

Ive got one of those!

Super smooth, but the extractor needs to be replaced.

If you have trouble pumping it, also make sure the hammer has been fully cocked and pushe forward against the pin or else the action cannot be opened.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #1747
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelhead View Post

I have a Charter Arms Explorer II pistol that would barely feed. I made a shim for the front side of the trigger guard to change the feed angle. It cycled fine manually but I haven't had a chance to test it at the range. I like your sportzerized version.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #1748
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
If you have trouble pumping it, also make sure the hammer has been fully cocked and pushe forward against the pin or else the action cannot be opened.
After we broke it free, we figured that out after we found that we again could not work the action.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #1749
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post

My kid wants one of those.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #1750
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
"I like your sportzerized version."

ar-7.com sells the shrouded barrel and stock as a kit.
Bevelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #1751
84thProblem
Disbelief suspended

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Ive got one of those!

Super smooth, but the extractor needs to be replaced.

I replaced the extractor on mine with one from Numrich. That $30 purchase brought my great grandfather's gun back to life!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #1752
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
Took Jax out to dial in his new CZ. We found a toaster so of course we shot it.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #1753
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,507
Took the Henry .22WMR out for the first time today. I mounted a scope this morning but when we got to the range and opened the gun case it just looked so damned ugly we unmounted it before firing the first shot. I'll remount it for our upcoming prairie dog shoot, but then it'll come back off. I may end up with a peep sight. The gun is a joy to shoot - the action is so silky smooth you just can't help but fall in love. It shot a little to the left but since I thought we'd be using a scope I didn't bring a brass punch so I couldn't adjust it. We were just plinking at plastic bottles so I don't have a feel for how it grouped. I'll get it to the range with some paper targets some time next week.

It's going to get expensive feeding the .22WMR. I'll probably end up with a .22LR version.

My daughter shot the Henry a few times, but prefers a pistol. No pop bottle is safe at anything under 100 yards. Her favorite is the Ruger 22/45.

PunkinHead screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 05:46 PM
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #1754
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,338
Ordered a CZ 512 and a Talo S&W 22A-1 Deluxe.

Some time in the next few weeks I'll do a six gun shootout.

For rifles it will be CZ 452 Trainer vs CZ 512 vs Ruger 10/22 target model.

For pistolas it will be Sig/Hammerli Trailside vs Talo S&W 22A-1 vs Taurus model 87 revolver.

Should be fun.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #1755
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,256
This is a really great page. Photos of the next generation of shooters. Get'em out shooting before the schools put it in their head that firearms are bad.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: