Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 110 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #1771
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Ammo variation is a possibility. However, rimfire ammo usually does not show big variations, even when you shoot a mixed bag, unless there is a big variation in bullet weight. I also doubt that there are issues with your hammer spring, unless someone has modified it or left it cocked for a long period. The degree of vertical stringing you describe is likely due to a scope/mount problem.

In any event, get out there, bust some caps and eliminate the variables (and the water bottles).
I rechecked the mounts and they're tight. This is a crappy scope, but a few weeks ago it was shooting 3/4" groups @ 100 yds from the .223 it came off of. The rings seem like good quality.

I tried again today. I picked up some CCI ammo and shot it back to back with the Hornady. This time at 50 yards. I tried off bags and from the Lead Sled. Same problem. I got 2-3" vertical separation at 50 yards. I'm going to call Henry tomorrow and see what they have to say. I didn't try removing the scope, but I should have. When I picked it up a couple weeks ago I shot it with open sights. I was shooting both off hand and using bags. At 25 yards I was lucky to hit a 20 oz soda bottle. I played with the elevation of the rear sight and seemed to be chasing my tail. I didn't try it on paper before mounting the scope.

EDIT: had a blast with the cherry Jello filled water bottles. My son was shooting an SKS and I was shooting a .223 with soft points. Fantastic visuals.

PunkinHead screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 01:16 PM
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #1772
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
I rechecked the mounts and they're tight. This is a crappy scope, but a few weeks ago it was shooting 3/4" groups @ 100 yds from the .223 it came off of. The rings seem like good quality.

I tried again today. I picked up some CCI ammo and shot it back to back with the Hornady. This time at 50 yards. I tried off bags and from the Lead Sled. Same problem. I got 2-3" vertical separation at 50 yards. I'm going to call Henry tomorrow and see what they have to say. I didn't try removing the scope, but I should have. When I picked it up a couple weeks ago I shot it with open sights. I was shooting both off hand and using bags. At 25 yards I was lucky to hit a 20 oz soda bottle. I played with the elevation of the rear sight and seemed to be chasing my tail. I didn't try it on paper before mounting the scope.

EDIT: had a blast with the cherry Jello filled water bottles. My son was shooting an SKS and I was shooting a .223 with soft points. Fantastic visuals.
Too bad you did not get a chance to try without the scope off a rest. There are no burrs or nicks near the muzzle crown are there?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #1773
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,072
I am not sold on the accuracy of lever action guns generally. I know that there are exceptions. I've owned several and have had very mixed results. I have a 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun that actually shoots surprisingly well, but a .357 Marlin is not as good, with quite a bit of vertical stringing similar to what is described, and a 9422 that I had a number of years ago, but sold, was likewise not all that accurate even though I tried it out with a number of different ammo brands. I tend to think that there's just too much going on with lever guns, a somewhat "soft" action, stuff attached to and impinging on the barrel, etc. Just the weight in the tubular mag, as it reduces as the gun is fired from full to empty, can have an effect on impact.

On that subject, I did try shooting my .357 for group like a single shot, loading one round into the chamber at a time and keeping the mag completely empty. It improved accuracy considerably. I'm not crazy about using the gun as a single-shot however.....

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #1774
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
I got the S&W Talo in today, the CZ 512 won't be in 'till tuesday.
Planning to do the shootout on the 29th.
I just got a note that the CZ452 Military trainer is on the way....should be here thrusday.

Thinking about a rifle for my son now....anschutz is out of the question (and price bracket) so I am looking at the Savage Mark II FVT...only thing is the rifles he is using now are single shots, not sure if they will allow the 5 shot rifle. Going to have to check with his NRA youth instructor.

Anyway here is a pic of the Savage in question...suppose to be pretty good rifles....they are suppose to also have other stocks available that allow the rail under for the sling.

Anyone have experence with the little Savage?

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #1775
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

I have the Savage in 17 HMR with the lam thumbhole stock. I love it, very accurate rifle. That one with the good iron sights would be pretty fun.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #1776
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I am not sold on the accuracy of lever action guns generally. I know that there are exceptions. I've owned several and have had very mixed results. I have a 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun that actually shoots surprisingly well, but a .357 Marlin is not as good, with quite a bit of vertical stringing similar to what is described, and a 9422 that I had a number of years ago, but sold, was likewise not all that accurate even though I tried it out with a number of different ammo brands. I tend to think that there's just too much going on with lever guns, a somewhat "soft" action, stuff attached to and impinging on the barrel, etc. Just the weight in the tubular mag, as it reduces as the gun is fired from full to empty, can have an effect on impact.

On that subject, I did try shooting my .357 for group like a single shot, loading one round into the chamber at a time and keeping the mag completely empty. It improved accuracy considerably. I'm not crazy about using the gun as a single-shot however.....
I have a Marlin 39 that will shoot an inch at 100 yards pretty consistently. My Marlin 1894 will do about 2" at 100, but it is a .44 Magnum, and those in .357 that I have seen don't seem to be quite as accurate. My 1895 also shoots about 2 inches, but I did have to do a bit of work on fitting the fore stock before it would do that.

Neither two piece stocks nor tube magazines help accuracy, and together they can be a challenge. With some careful fitting a traditional lever gun can be made to shoot fairly well.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #1777
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,221
2" out of a 44 lever gun is pretty impressive.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #1778
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,334
Quote:
I just got a note that the CZ452 Military trainer is on the way....should be here thrusday.

Thinking about a rifle for my son now....anschutz is out of the question (and price bracket) so I am looking at the Savage Mark II FVT...only thing is the rifles he is using now are single shots, not sure if they will allow the 5 shot rifle. Going to have to check with his NRA youth instructor.

Anyway here is a pic of the Savage in question...suppose to be pretty good rifles....they are suppose to also have other stocks available that allow the rail under for the sling.

The CZ 512 comes in on Thursday.
Planning the six gun shootout for Saturday.

The Savages are supposed to be nice shooters haven't shot any of their new rimfires though.

The new Anschutz MSR RX22 isn't available yet but that's the one I'm saving my pennies for.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #1779
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:

It looks like it has the same action as my model 9317, which is quite accurate. It appears this Savage comes with the Accu Trigger, which (in my experience), is a very nice trigger.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #1780
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Too bad you did not get a chance to try without the scope off a rest. There are no burrs or nicks near the muzzle crown are there?
Nothing that I can see. Henry sent me a UPS label to send it back for repair.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #1781
hutch451
aka pork shoulder

Oddometer: 1,556
Well after about 20,000 rounds downrange I figured this old girl needed some new clothes.

I'm waiting on new Titanium extractor and she should be good for at least another 20,000.
hutch451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #1782
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
I've got prolly 50,000 thru mine, just put in the Ti extractor. I should have done it 49,950 rounds ago
It made a HUGE difference in the failure to eject. Havent had one since

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch451 View Post
Well after about 20,000 rounds downrange I figured this old girl needed some new clothes.

I'm waiting on new Titanium extractor and she should be good for at least another 20,000.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #1783
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
Anyone have experience with the browning t-bolt in .17 hmr? I'm thinking about ordering the left handed varmint/target model.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...5&tid=185&bg=x
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #1784
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLboxeR View Post
Anyone have experience with the browning t-bolt in .17 hmr? I'm thinking about ordering the left handed varmint/target model.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...5&tid=185&bg=x

The older T-bolts are great....I have no experence with the new rifles.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #1785
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
I've got prolly 50,000 thru mine, just put in the Ti extractor. I should have done it 49,950 rounds ago
It made a HUGE difference in the failure to eject. Havent had one since

Could you tell a little more about this ti extractor?
Thanks
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: