User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #2146
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464

It may be time to move on, and get me a pistol or an AR rifle. What do you think I should ask for this gem?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #2147
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Why sell it?

Add to the collection!
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #2148
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Guys....dumb question. I'm looking at a Ruger Single Six. Will these things work with .22 shorts? Figure if so, it'll be quiet enough to set up targets in my back yard.
Lyle
Shorts are a PITA....get some of the Remington CBEE22's...22LR sized, but are 750 ft/sec muzzle velocity and supposedly doggone quiet...will not cycle in a semi auto.....
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #2149
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 View Post
Why sell it?

Add to the collection!
I don't shoot it. My obsession is getting a hold of something that is not obtainable... and having it... not using it.... I figure, its time to let someone else enjoy it...
Old 11-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #2150
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Shorts

Quote:
Guys....dumb question. I'm looking at a Ruger Single Six. Will these things work with .22 shorts? Figure if so, it'll be quiet enough to set up targets in my back yard.
Lyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Shorts are a PITA....get some of the Remington CBEE22's...22LR sized, but are 750 ft/sec muzzle velocity and supposedly doggone quiet...will not cycle in a semi auto.....

As noted, shorts will indeed work but can be a PIA. Aside from trying to get the little things fumbled into the chamber there is the issue of them fouling the chambers so that regular (long or long rifle) ammunition does not fit well. Lots of cleaning should counteract that (in the 'old days they used to say that shooting lots of shorts would 'ring' the chamber and make it hard to use full length ammo, having an old S&W model 17 that 'acts' that way I can't disagree with the idea but never hear it mentioned with today's steel). I would choose one of the brands of ammunition assembled with 'normal' length cases to prevent the issue entirely. Being a single action revolver, Ruger SS will function with ammo of any power level although being a revolver of any kind means that there is a cylinder/barrel gap so each shot is a little louder than it would be from a semi-auto. The trend to 'Quiet' ammunition shows that you are not the only one looking in this direction. Not long ago CCI 'Long CBs' used to be the only game in town for low noise shooting, now there are many choices. Keep in mind that there will probably be a large change in point of impact when you change between 'normal' and 'quiet' loads.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #2151
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Lyle
They will work with any size .22
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #2152
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
That is really cool, who did you order from?

Who makes it?

Glad to see you coming back to shooting, it's the best kind of therapy.
One of the Sgt's here has a part time job at a little gun shop here in town....I ordered it from him.

Yea getting back at it.....I can hit stuff from a rest, but in standing I am good for about 5 shots then my eyes start to water.

I want to get back at this so bad....I really want to give small bore a shot again....and highpower rifle if possible....we will see.

But at least I feel like doing it again....big plus...little steps.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #2153
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelfish View Post
I have a CZ 452lux in a 22 mag I added a medium base and put a Nikon 3-9 x 40 and with my bad eyes I hold just about a 1in. group at 100 yards using Hornady bullets. I just love that rifle I also put a timminy trigger in it.
This one has a 24power scope that I was going to use for small bore silhouette...but with my problems I never got to play the game with it. The few times I did get to go I used an old Marlin with a thousand pound gritty trigger pull. I really enjoy that game so I bought this rifle with the hopes of playing it.

Now with the scope and the rifle it is pretty darn heavy and I have a real hard time hitting anything....just so little strength in my left arm. The club I belong to is pretty laid back, this summer when the games start again I may ask if I can shoot from a rest and just not have my score count to the winners final....we will see....I would bet they would.

We have 22 indoor games to 25yards and I was using the nylon 66 for that...it is the lightest 22 that I have....may give it a go this friday. That game shoots from all positions, prone, standing, sitting....I will do pretty well in all but the standing.

Now that I am shooting again the itch is really back.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #2154
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
New Ruger 10/22

This is already getting ridiculous! I got a new Stag Arms Model1 with the plus package a couple of weeks ago and after shooting it a couple of times decided I also needed a .22 rifle to go with it. I really like the AR platform, but I can see that it is not cheap to shoot. So I figured a nice Ruger 10/22 will be a good sidekick for it and allow even more trigger time for little $$$. We have a 7 day waiting period so I can pick it up next Saturday. Already am excited about it. I can see why so many people love their .22's. It also will be a great gun to teach a new shooter without it being too intimidating. I went with the black synthetic, and it came with the fiber optic sights. Looks like it picks up target really easily, but will likely put an appropriate scope on it. Anyone got suggestions for a inexpensive but decent scope under $100? I am a new shooter overall and this stuff can get pretty confusing pretty quickly. I am going to be shooting targets mainly both indoor and outdoor. The outdoor ranges around here only go to about 150 yards so I am not looking for overkill in the scope department. Will post some pics once i update my photos. Of course I had to buy some ammo, a soft case and some spare magazines for it. Oh no, more stuff to farkle.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #2155
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,723
Look at the BSA scopes . I have 3 one on a .22 , 22-250 and a .22 mag .
Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #2156
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfuzz View Post
Look at the BSA scopes . I have 3 one on a .22 , 22-250 and a .22 mag .
For the distances I will be shooting (under 200 yards) is the 3-9X the way to go? It seems from my reading that is what I should be looking at. Thanks! I'll check out the BSA scopes as suggested.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #2157
kioti
Cruzinonline

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Now with the scope and the rifle it is pretty darn heavy and I have a real hard time hitting anything....just so little strength in my left arm.
Do they allow you to rest your elbow on hip or is it like the old NRA light rifle qualification course where the elbow must be unsupported?
kioti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #2158
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,723
Sounds about right. Find a place that you can compair scopes side by side . light transfer and clairty will vary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
For the distances I will be shooting (under 200 yards) is the 3-9X the way to go? It seems from my reading that is what I should be looking at. Thanks! I'll check out the BSA scopes as suggested.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #2159
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfuzz View Post
Sounds about right. Find a place that you can compair scopes side by side . light transfer and clairty will vary.
Thanks again! Just what I needed, another hobby to throw money at! As if the bikes were not enough. Well, I am glad I finally took the plunge. this is already tons of fun!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #2160
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,294
Finally had a chance to try out the CCI .22LR "Quiet" rounds....

They were QUIET

I was at the range, had foam ear plugs in place-- SOunded like an air rifle. I could hear the trigger/fire pin click.
Shot from a savage youth model bolt action, 18 inch tube.

Looking forward to trying them w/o hearing protecion

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: