User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #2236
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,669
Thanks for the recommendations. The size of the scope is not a huge issue. I bought the takedown model so that I could fit it in a backpack when riding a dirt bike. My house backs up to BLM land and there is a makeshift range about two miles away. I found a cheapo 3-9x40. I'm not pleased with the rings that were included, but we'll see. I just need a case that is more like a sock, which shouldn't be hard to find.

Oh, and in this age of soaring gun prices. Sportsman's Warehouse had a bunch of 10/22 takedowns for $309, which is a lot less than I paid last week when I could find only one locally.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #2237
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. The size of the scope is not a huge issue. I bought the takedown model so that I could fit it in a backpack when riding a dirt bike. My house backs up to BLM land and there is a makeshift range about two miles away. I found a cheapo 3-9x40. I'm not pleased with the rings that were included, but we'll see. I just need a case that is more like a sock, which shouldn't be hard to find.
You will enjoy the TD. Loving mine. Fun for my son and I to shoot. I put a small BSA on mine and it works very well. Also fits in my Oakley packpack for the moto ride in.

Have since put the straight tube on the Tapco stock for the scope. The angled was good for the iron sights, but he straight is better for the scope.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #2238
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,733
Quote:

Oh, and in this age of soaring gun prices. Sportsman's Warehouse had a bunch of 10/22 takedowns for $309, which is a lot less than I paid last week when I could find only one locally.
Try different ammos in your 10/22, but I have found that CCI Blazer shoots much better in my 10/22 than any other inexpensive ammo. And if you want to really test out its accuracy, use some SK Standard Plus ($5 per box).
Old 12-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #2239
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Try different ammos in your 10/22, but I have found that CCI Blazer shoots much better in my 10/22 than any other inexpensive ammo. And if you want to really test out its accuracy, use some SK Standard Plus ($5 per box).
My 10/22 will happily eat anything that I feed it, but CCI ammo seems less dirty and runs well in fussier guns too.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #2240
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
I just bought myself a Ruger 10/22 Takedown. After discovering that my vision is not what it once was, I've decided to add a scope. What do you guys recommend that is on the inexpensive side, recognizing that I am only an occasional shooter?

You might want to look into one of the small red dot sights to mount on that 1022 if you don't need magnification. A lot of them are under $100 and they work very well. I have two of the micro dot models from Primary Arms and I like them a lot.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #2241
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36 View Post
I've been meaning to ask the Collective on this one: does anyone have an opinion on the longer-term accuracy of the takedown model? And if it's negative, please be sure to phrase your answer in a manner that doesn't give selaznog buyer's remorse

Rimfire Central has a lot of talk on the Takedown models. Accuracy seems to not be an issue. The most common problem seems to be a lack of heat treating on the chamber end of some of the barrels. Scroll down through this thread as there is some good info on those rifles.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #2242
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,041
Took the Hi Standards out the other day. The triggers on those things are a miracle. Using a rest, here is a 20-shot group at 20 yards with the Victor. First shot was high on cold barrel, the rest stayed within 1.2" and my eyes aren't the greatest anymore. Plain ol' cheap American Eagle ammo. What a fabulous pistol.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #2243
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 744
Nice gun, Shady

Hi Standards are fantastic pistols! Wish I still had my old Victor - probably couldn't afford one now...
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #2244
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
ShadyRascal:

I'm kinda confused. A few posts back you called yours a model 103. I have a "SUPERMATIC Tournament" that says "Model 103" on the RH side of the slide....and my magazine release is at the base of the grip...not the gold button you have. From the best I can find, it is a '66-67 vintage (I bought it used in 1968).

Been lurking here for a long time lusting over the Ruger 10-22 takedown and assorted 22 handguns. My 103 has a 5.5" bull barrel, and weighs a lot. Kinda fantisized over a shorter lighter barrel to lighten it up to make this a better concealed carry weapon, but finding anything for this pistol is difficult. target and tournament barrels can be found...but nothing light & compact.
Ed@Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #2245
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,041
Hi Ed, you must have a different post confused with mine. I have this Victor and a model A. SR

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #2246
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,610
My 1st pistol- Ruger MkII, later had Clark do some custom work, ported barrel, trigger and Bomar Sights added. Still my favorite gun.

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #2247
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
My 1st pistol- Ruger MkII, later had Clark do some custom work, ported barrel, trigger and Bomar Sights added. Still my favorite gun.

PM me your addy and I'll send ya a nice new pair of earplugs for Christmas
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #2248
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
PM me your addy and I'll send ya a nice new pair of earplugs for Christmas
funny, I've got a case of earplugs and those are still in the case...
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #2249
wibornz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Just finished putting this ruger together. Will be taking it to the range today. Note not my gun. I gave the stock 10/22 to Justin, my oldest son about 12 years ago. For Christmas, I bought him the stock, barrel, and scope.

Maybe post some groups later today.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #2250
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,561
I bought this rifle for Christmas. Savage .22 target rifle..heavy barrel and accutrigger. My first .22 rifle since I was a kid.

Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: