Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #2311
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Thinking about picking up another 22. I really like the looks of the Taurus Trackers. In my price range also. In either 22lr or 22 wmr. The magnum especially looks fun since I don't have one. I have other nice 22's. Just looking for a good knock around-glove box-saddlebag gun. The problem is that they have a reputation for being junk. Has their quality improved at all lately? Any of you FF's have or had one, and want to rate it? What is the advice of the collective? Pick one up or drop it and run?
I'm unable to comment on the longevity of the Tracker because I don't have a high round count on it yet. But it sure shoots well and seems/looks well made and the trigger is pretty good too. This one's a 22lr, 7 shot also.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #2312
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I like rimfires. Here's what happens when you take a stock 10/22 and lose all common sense.
Started as a stock blued 10/22 and then I found Rimfirecentral.com and lost my mind. The stock I laminated and carved myself. Stripped and polished the receiver,new hammer for a better trigger,SS bull barrel,bolt work, and Mueller scope. Way too much time and $$ in it but it was well worth it.

Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #2313
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet428 View Post
I like rimfires. Here's what happens when you take a stock 10/22 and lose all common sense.
Started as a stock blued 10/22 and then I found Rimfirecentral.com and lost my mind. The stock I laminated and carved myself. Stripped and polished the receiver,new hammer for a better trigger,SS bull barrel,bolt work, and Mueller scope. Way too much time and $$ in it but it was well worth it.

Beautiful rifle. Nicely done.
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:19 AM   #2314
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,342
I've got one of these, they're fun to shoot & easy to reload.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #2315
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
No. And granted it was a long time ago, but the one and only Taurus I owned was a festering piece of lead shaving shit. Customer service was equal to the gun itself - two trips to the factory to try to fix. One took 6 months, and when ot still didn't index properly the second trip took 4 months. They never got it right.

I'll never own one again. Not because they made a bad gun, but instead because they provided bad service. Nowadays I'd rather spend more and cry once. My bottom is Ruger (not so elegant but quality is good), then Kimber, and maybe one day something from Wilson Combat.

Currently I am waiting for a new fluted barrel version of the Ruger 22/45 lite to show up at my local dealer. It should be a fine .22, though it doesn't sound like it will meet fastdadio's criteria.
Unfortunately, this seems to be the majority opinion that I'm finding. It's looking like the ole Dan Wesson is destined for a hard life.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #2316
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post

I just picked up an earlier version of that (circa 1936 called the .22 Special back then) for teaching some friends how to shoot. Love the break tops and it's a great gun for teaching as well as plinking.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #2317
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post

I have a mid 60's version of that . I find it more accurate than my Ruger Mark-II with a bull barrel.

I lost the rear sight last time I was out plinking. Any idea where I can get a replacement?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #2318
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
I have a mid 60's version of that . I find it more accurate than my Ruger Mark-II with a bull barrel.

I lost the rear sight last time I was out plinking. Any idea where I can get a replacement?
I had the same thing happen, it was a long time ago & I can't remember where I found one. I think I did a Google search to find it, they're out there though.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #2319
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Unfortunately, this seems to be the majority opinion that I'm finding. It's looking like the ole Dan Wesson is destined for a hard life.
You should check out the Ruger SP-101 in 22LR or a S & W 17 or 617 (or maybe a used Model 18, if you can find one). A bit more $$$ than a Taurus, but either will last forever. The Dan Wesson 22 should be hard to wear out too, bit it is a better looking gun, and I can see where you might want to keep it nice.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #2320
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
You should check out the Ruger SP-101 in 22LR or a S & W 17 or 617 (or maybe a used Model 18, if you can find one). A bit more $$$ than a Taurus, but either will last forever. The Dan Wesson 22 should be hard to wear out too, bit it is a better looking gun, and I can see where you might want to keep it nice.
Great suggestions both of them. Only problem is that they're both worth more than the DW. So my net gain is nada on that one.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #2321
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 242
As long as I've been on ADV this is the first trip into the rim fire thread, good stuff guys, ya'll have some very nice toys, never had an idea that Mauser made a rim fire gun, thanks for my next big want.

Myself I have sevral .22s & a HMR.17 that wifey bought me a few years back, love me some rim fire action.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #2322
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Great suggestions both of them. Only problem is that they're both worth more than the DW. So my net gain is nada on that one.
Actually glancing at prices on gunbroker, the DW22 and the SP101 are about equal, if you can get the SP101 at retail, and the DW is clean.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #2323
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachian View Post
As long as I've been on ADV this is the first trip into the rim fire thread, good stuff guys, ya'll have some very nice toys, never had an idea that Mauser made a rim fire gun, thanks for my next big want.

Myself I have sevral .22s & a HMR.17 that wifey bought me a few years back, love me some rim fire action.
C'mon don't be shy, post them up...we all like pictures.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #2324
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post

Can't guarantee it but this would be a good place to start. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #2325
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
HI Standard Military

I took my son out today to shoot his new to him Marlin-Glenfield bolt action 22. I drug this out of the safe as well. My grandfather gave this to me 17 years ago and it probably had not be fired in at least 30 years. I dont know why its taken so long, It got stuck in the the back of the safe and was forgotten.

It shoots pretty good. I know these were used for military training in WWII but I dont think this one is quite that old.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: