Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #2521
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
Nice! What stock is that?

Blackhawk R/F Axiom stock.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #2522
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
This thread is making me want to get a .22 pistol and rifle combo. I've been shooting a bunch of 9mm and .308 lately and it's just getting stupid expensive and hard to find ammo[e]. I think moving to a .22 platform for both would be good, and would allow me and the wife to practice a bunch without spending a bunch.

What do y'all think would be the best .22 pistol and rifle combo? I'm not looking to win any national matches or anything - I just want to keep shooting and maintain skills (breathe, relax, aim, squeeze) without it costing $1 per round... I'm not a hunter, I just like shooting.
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #2523
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Blackhawk R/F Axiom stock.

Thanks
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #2524
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
This thread is making me want to get a .22 pistol and rifle combo. I've been shooting a bunch of 9mm and .308 lately and it's just getting stupid expensive and hard to find ammo[e]. I think moving to a .22 platform for both would be good, and would allow me and the wife to practice a bunch without spending a bunch.

What do y'all think would be the best .22 pistol and rifle combo? I'm not looking to win any national matches or anything - I just want to keep shooting and maintain skills (breathe, relax, aim, squeeze) without it costing $1 per round... I'm not a hunter, I just like shooting.

My wife and I shoot .22 a lot to reduce the cost of plinking. I prefer my gsg 1911 and S&W M&P15/22. She prefers her Walther P22 and marlin 60. Its fun and plenty accurate for the distances we shoot. I plan to pick her up a SW 15/22 if prices go back down and panic dies down.
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #2525
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:

Even .22LR is becoming unobtanium and prices approach center-fire ammunition of six months ago.

I have a Ruger SR22 and a Henry H001 for plinking and have not shot them for quite a while.

Just getting impossible to shoot nowadays.

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #2526
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buca View Post
Even .22LR is becoming unobtanium and prices approach center-fire ammunition of six months ago.

I have a Ruger SR22 and a Henry H001 for plinking and have not shot them for quite a while.

Just getting impossible to shoot nowadays.

Yeah, I haven't been keeping track of .22LR prices because I don't have one. I think this weekend I may do some research around here. If I can pick up a relatively cheap .22 (LGS has a 702 Plinkster for $179 and a 715T for $265) and a few hundred rounds of ammo[e] then I might consider it. If not, I'll just shoot less and wait...
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #2527
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I have a 6 x 18 on my 10/22 Sure it's overkill, but it makes 100 yard shooting comparatively easy.
I have an 8-32x on my 10-22 Target. Yeah, I know it's a cartoon gun. But it's fun.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #2528
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post
I have an 8-32x on my 10-22 Target. Yeah, I know it's a cartoon gun. But it's fun.
Same here. Makes it real easy to pick out specific things you want to hit.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #2529
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,138
Quote:

Marlin 60 semi-auto for rifle. Seems like while the Ruger 10-22 can be configured a hundred different ways to solve various problems, the Model 60 just keeps slugging along with no problems. Maybe not as sexy, but they are (pun intended) bulletproof.

As far as pistol, so many have noted feeding and ammo problems with the Berettas, S&W, and other popular .22 pistols, but have not seen a bad word about the Browning Buckmarks.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #2530
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Marlin 60 semi-auto for rifle. Seems like while the Ruger 10-22 can be configured a hundred different ways to solve various problems, the Model 60 just keeps slugging along with no problems. Maybe not as sexy, but they are (pun intended) bulletproof.

As far as pistol, so many have noted feeding and ammo problems with the Berettas, S&W, and other popular .22 pistols, but have not seen a bad word about the Browning Buckmarks.
Various problems on the 10/22? Like what?

People customize the rifle to fit them and the specific type of shooting they are doing. Do you want an assault rifle? We got that! Target shooter? We got that! You can make the 10/22 into anything you want. The magazines are available in different sizes and varieties. It's the only 10/22 I will ever own. I have two target models that were $500 each plus custom accessories. I am seriously thinking about getting another one for a tacticool build. Get the Ruger.

For a pistol you can't beat the Ruger MKIII. I have a MKII. It shoots whatever you stick in it. I had a Sig Mosquito, and while it was fun it was very specific. Not the Ruger. Again, get the Ruger.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #2531
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,052
A kill

Quote:
Pilot 815: Makes it real easy to pick out specific things you want to hit.
Like a fly
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #2532
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Like a fly
That is pure awesome.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #2533
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:

If you can afford it, get an older (pre-Remington) Marlin model 39, and a High Standard Trophy or Citation.

If you are on a budget a Marlin Model 60 or a Ruger 10/22, and a Browning Buckmark. The Buckmarks tend to be more accurate than a Ruger, and though I have seen a few Ruger Mark I,II, or III malfunctions, I have never seen a Buckmark fail to feed or fire.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #2534
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post

My Buckmark has always been a good runner. Stoppages were ammo related as far as I could tell and not that common. I recently put a TacSol upper on it and I hope it continues it's old level of performance. Also, on Buckmarks the upper is non-serialized and not "the gun" as far as the ATF is concerned, so it's mailorder part. Ruger's .22 semis have their serial number on the upper, making it "the gun" as far as the ATF is concerned--making the TacSol upper "the gun" and requiring a FFL's assitstance in obtaining. Yup, one more plus to the Buckmark.

Someday I'll get a Beretta 21a because I think they're neat.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #2535
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Various problems on the 10/22? Like what?

People customize the rifle to fit them and the specific type of shooting they are doing. Do you want an assault rifle? We got that! Target shooter? We got that! You can make the 10/22 into anything you want. The magazines are available in different sizes and varieties. It's the only 10/22 I will ever own. I have two target models that were $500 each plus custom accessories. I am seriously thinking about getting another one for a tacticool build. Get the Ruger.

For a pistol you can't beat the Ruger MKIII. I have a MKII. It shoots whatever you stick in it. I had a Sig Mosquito, and while it was fun it was very specific. Not the Ruger. Again, get the Ruger.

I am not going to say that the Ruger is a bad rifle....it is also not a great rifle. Do you think that so many change it all around is because it does nothing real well.....Now before everyone gets their panties in a twist I do own a 10/22...have for YEARS....I think mine was made in the early 70's....it is bone stock, partly because being of that vintage it would be a crime put an orange stock on it and a purple barrel and partly because I just don't shoot it that much. If I just want to poke holes in cans I have other rifles that are more fun, and if I want to poke one hole in paper I have other rifles that are better at it no matter what you do to a 10/22, and trust me I have shot a great deal of very pimped out 10/22's...they are VERY popular in the small bore world around here. I have found the savage mkII series to be just fantastic little guns...yes a bolt gun, and both the cz bolt and 512 to be much better rifles...all for much less than a pimped ruger....just my own personal views.

Now if you say you like the 10/22 because it lets you play gunsmith...fine I have no problem with that.....but if I could walk out of my house with only one 22 rifle it would not be the Ruger....for me the rifle I would take would be this one:

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: