User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #301
tkpinsc
heavily moderated

Oddometer: 13,440
Try a wide variety of ammo. Rim fire rifles are sensitive to what you use, and each gun is happiest with a different flavor.

It has been the political career of this man to begin with hypocrisy, proceed with arrogance, and finish with contempt.
—Thomas Paine (1776)
tkpinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #302
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Definately play with ammo with .22s

Of course the other side of the game is to use a good rest and optics to really choose ammo selection.

Many .22's need to be "seasoned" that is they start to group after a few hundred rounds. So most summers I clean the crap out of the bore, then I'll shoot all summer and just pull a bore snake through with out solvent. Then I'll clean the crap out of it again before hunting season and shoot it in again. Then I'll only clean the bore if I'm out in the rain during hunting season, or wait till I put the gun away when it gets super cold.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #303
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,031
Finally got the new Fajen synthetic stock for my pawn shop restoration. Personally I think it looks pretty bad ass with the 16.5" barrel

IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #304
tkpinsc
heavily moderated

Oddometer: 13,440
Here's my anshutz 64m I got new in the 70's while in High School.

Shot 3 position with iron sights until my eyes gave out years ago. I recently put an Osprey 10-40x50 scope on it and took up benchrest. In the picture is a 50yrd and 100yrd target along with some ammo I've been testing.

Note it is a left hand stock with a right hand bolt.

It has been the political career of this man to begin with hypocrisy, proceed with arrogance, and finish with contempt.
—Thomas Paine (1776)
tkpinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #305
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
My deer rifle is a #1 in .243.
Just caught up on this thread (sort of). Mine favorite deer rifle is a #1 .243 also.

Went through a serious #1 phase and ended up with eight of them. Probably the finest, IMO, rifle made in the last 100 years. Once you learn how to properly accurize them they will all shoot well under 1 MOA. The best I've ever owned is a .222 that would consistently go under .350" at 100 yards. After I quit shooting 20K+ rounds a year I thinned the herd and now only own two #1's. The .243 and a 7mm mauser. Pretty much covers everything I need but I still have a hankering for one of the .22 rimfire or .22 magnum #1 conversions. Instead, I have a pair of Ruger 77's in 22 rf and 22 mag.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #306
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT
. Pretty much covers everything I need but I still have a hankering for one of the .22 rimfire or .22 magnum #1 conversions. Instead, I have a pair of Ruger 77's in 22 rf and 22 mag.
I've always wanted a rimfire #1 but in .17 HMR with a fairly short light weight barrel and classic lines.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #307
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
I've always wanted a rimfire #1 but in .17 HMR with a fairly short light weight barrel and classic lines.
Although I'm a big fan of the .17 HMR, I get my small bore kicks from a .17 Remington I have a .17 HMR barrel for the Ruger 77 but haven't gotten around to putting it on yet. The .17 Remington is one of those amazing calibers that just won't quit. Amazing accuracy and easy to load for.

I've shot two of the Ruger #1's in rimfire and both of them were extremely pleasant to shoot while within 1 moa accurate.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #308
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

I've shot some 17 remington, thought they were neat, but louder. The thing I've always liked about the .17 HMR was that for what I do it is pretty much ideal. Even small bore centerfires, .223, .17 Remington, .205 ruger etc. They are just too long reaching. The 200 yard woodchuck goes from being challenging to bang flop. And getting shots over 200-250 is rare, not that they don't exist but there are just few shooting lanes for it, and the chances of seeing a woodchuck in one of those shooting lanes is not likely.

I shoot more shotguns anyhow, and only load 28 gauge these days. I like that I just grab a couple boxes of 50 and it tides me over. Low amount of effort for lots of fun.

Also I can shoot rimfires at my local indoor range, can't shoot center fire rifles there. And I can shoot relatively thin steel plate targets that I can carry around in a crate. If I take a centerfire to the range the targets have to be quite heavy to put up with the abuse.

But that .17 reminton is a neat little cartridge.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #309
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,989
I haven't done anything to the #1 as far as accuracy goes, haven't really needed to, but the one that really shoots is a #3 in .223. It will shoot dimes.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #310
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,345
SIg Mosquito update: round three-

Finaly found some CCI mini-mag 22 LR, 1250 fps stuff, and the pistol was excellent . No missfires, no stove-pipes. 200 rds without a hitch....
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #311
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,380
This months issue of Rifle Magazine did an extensive .22 ammo test they shot 1000 round + in testing. Some interesting information.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #312
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider
This months issue of Rifle Magazine did an extensive .22 ammo test they shot 1000 round + in testing. Some interesting information.
Care to share?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #313
Roughidle
Super Star Destroyer....

Oddometer: 1,494
Back in January I picked up this marlin 925 in 22lr:

I had a coupon for $20 off, and some store credit from a returned gift (didn't fit) all said and done I got the gun, Tasco 3-9x32mm scope, and rings for $160. Not to bad.

This was my 1st .22, I kinda came at the bolt action thing backwards. my 1st is a pre-64' Model 70 featherlight in 30-06 .

I read up a bit, and it seems that the major detraction with the 925 is the trigger. I agree with this, the trigger broke clean, but was a bit heavy.

I read up a bit more and learned that you can swap the spring out for a click pen spring. I did the swap. and the trigger is WAY better. not bad for a freebie mod.

Anywho, I know there are better .22's, and lots that dont have plastic parts like this one (slide for the magazine, trigger, etc) but I like it, and it was CHEAP! And its a pretty good size, not quite full size but maybe 85%.

I took it back to the range today to tweak the scope a bit more, its still crap weather here so Im @ a 50yd indoor.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #314
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

I did the click pen spring in my 925 magnum, it works but its still grity. A much better trigger involves either a rifle basix adjustable and gunsmith springs. Another method that used to work involves parts from the Marlin 2000 target rifle, I don't know if this is applicable to the T-900's.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #315
Roughidle
Super Star Destroyer....

Oddometer: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
I did the click pen spring in my 925 magnum, it works but its still grity. A much better trigger involves either a rifle basix adjustable and gunsmith springs. Another method that used to work involves parts from the Marlin 2000 target rifle, I don't know if this is applicable to the T-900's.
I read about the 2000 thing, but I also couldn't find out if it worked for the t900.

I also read that you could put a shim under the sear spring on the t-900, but I dint get that far, since its my 1st whack at this sorta thing, I went one step at a time.

The Basix are $$$$$ right?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: