Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 111 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #751
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
There was a looseness or shift I felt when preparing to fire. I thought initially it was the bean bags, but I found the screw on the front stock area loose. I tightened it.

What was felt when trying to squeeze the trigger was something would shift slightly and stop.

Denis
That would definitely cause vertical stringing and windage shifts (although not to the extent of vertical stringing).

The best thing to do is loosen both of the action screws and then bring them up to torque in steps, just like you would do if you were torquing down a head.

Example: Turn both screws in 'til snug. Set torque wrench to 20 in/lbs. and bring each screw up to 20, alternating between each screw. Reset torque wrench to 35 in./lbs and bring each screw up to 35. Reset torque wrench to 45 in./lbs. and bring each screw up to 45. Done.

Take it out and see how it shoots. To tune for accuracy with a specific brand of ammo,, try 40 in./lbs., 50 in./lbs., 55, etc., as a final setting. When trying different torque settings, start from the beginning again, loosening both screws. Keep in mind that your zero will most likely change when changing your torque settings (not by much, but they will change. Shoot for groups and keep your hands off the scope settings!

I wouldn't go much more than 55 in./lbs. as a final setting as going too high may create some stress due to bending of the action which will degrade accuracy.

You really need an in./lb., clicker type, torque wrench to do this properly.

Your rifle should be able to shoot close to 1" groups at 100 yds., on a calm day. The .17 HMR is a great little caliber. Good luck!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #752
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
Anybody have one of these? I read an article in a firearms magazine a few days and the reviewer sounded pretty impressed. With a list price of $349 it is only a few bucks more than a Kimber conversion kit for a 1911 at $330.

It's all your fault.

2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #753
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
So, have you shot it yet? What's your opinion. I've got to locate a local dealer so that I can scope it out in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
It's all your fault.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #754
2whlrcr
gooligan

I ran about 150 rounds of cheap bulk ammo through it at the dealer. I had at least a half a dozen failure to eject or failure to feeds. I will hold judgement, until I get at least 500 rounds and a good cleaning. I've got a Walther P22 which does the same thing with cheap ammo, so I'm used to it. If I run good HV ammo in my P22 this almost becomes a non issue and I will expect the same from the GSG.

I'm not a 1911 expert, but it feels good in the hand. This would not be a gun for small hands, like the P22 is. I does shoot very well. Much more accurate than the P22 and I would guess on par, with a standard Buckmark, Mark III, S&W 41, etc... Not as accurate as my Benelli Olympic target pistol, but I wouldn't expect it to be. I think I'm gonna like it.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #755
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
I ran about 150 rounds of cheap bulk ammo through it at the dealer. I had at least a half a dozen failure to eject or failure to feeds. I will hold judgement, until I get at least 500 rounds and a good cleaning. I've got a Walther P22 which does the same thing with cheap ammo, so I'm used to it. If I run good HV ammo in my P22 this almost becomes a non issue and I will expect the same from the GSG.

I'm not a 1911 expert, but it feels good in the hand. This would not be a gun for small hands, like the P22 is. I does shoot very well. Much more accurate than the P22 and I would guess on par, with a standard Buckmark, Mark III, S&W 41, etc... Not as accurate as my Benelli Olympic target pistol, but I wouldn't expect it to be. I think I'm gonna like it.

I would store it locked back for a week or so and try it.It is a quick way to break in new springs and does not hurt the longevity of them. does this gun lock back on the final round?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #756
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
That GSG is sweet! Makes my 22/45 jealous.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #757
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,047
Another day,another Mossberg This one is is a model 46MB,from about '47-'52. It's a full-stocked tube fed rifle. As always,Mossberg used a beautiful piece of walnut for the stock on what was a low-priced rifle then.

jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #758
2whlrcr
gooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
I would store it locked back for a week or so and try it.It is a quick way to break in new springs and does not hurt the longevity of them. does this gun lock back on the final round?
Yes
Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #759
notarex OP
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
I really like those GSG 1911's, have fun with it. There have been instances of the barrel bushing failing because of being seated incorrectly after reassembly- keep an eye on that.

1963 CA95

2006 RUCKUS

To boldly go where no Ruckus has gone before...
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #760
2whlrcr
gooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarex View Post
I really like those GSG 1911's, have fun with it. There have been instances of the barrel bushing failing because of being seated incorrectly after reassembly- keep an eye on that.
Well I just got done cleaning it, so we'll see.

I shot another 300? rounds through it today. First 100 went smoothly and then I started having FTF and FTE. I switched from bulk ammo to mini mags and it wasn't any better and maybe worse.

When I tore it apart, it was full of grit and white grease. Cleaned everything and just used oil. The slide snaps back with much more authority now. Hopefully that's all it was.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #761
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,728
Gun Noob Checking In

Ya wanna ask me about bikes and cars, then I can hold my own. Girls and guns not so much so.

So two weeks ago I went to a gun show and bought a used .22 pistol that I thought would be a good intro for the wife and me. It was a name brand and I was really happy with my purchase....until I got home and looked up the reviews on the interwebs. I guess I should have done more homework.

The Sig Sauer Mosquito got mixed reviews at best but those that liked it said it loved CCI ammunition so I bought some. A friend met me at the local pistol range Friday morning and he thought it was a toy. So we fired all 300 CCI rounds through it without a single FTF. Then we shot some old Remington rounds that I had from my 10/22. Then we bought some cheap something or other from the range shop. We must have fired at least 750 rounds through my toy without a misfire. I even added an elcheapo ebay laser just for fun.

I guess this little .22 does not garner much respect in the gun world but so far I love it.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #762
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,214
Got this today...

I've been years without a MkII, remedied that today.

The Duke abides!
ballistic_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #763
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Ya wanna ask me about bikes and cars, then I can hold my own. Girls and guns not so much so.

So two weeks ago I went to a gun show and bought a used .22 pistol that I thought would be a good intro for the wife and me. It was a name brand and I was really happy with my purchase....until I got home and looked up the reviews on the interwebs. I guess I should have done more homework.

The Sig Sauer Mosquito got mixed reviews at best but those that liked it said it loved CCI ammunition so I bought some. A friend met me at the local pistol range Friday morning and he thought it was a toy. So we fired all 300 CCI rounds through it without a single FTF. Then we shot some old Remington rounds that I had from my 10/22. Then we bought some cheap something or other from the range shop. We must have fired at least 750 rounds through my toy without a misfire. I even added an elcheapo ebay laser just for fun.

I guess this little .22 does not garner much respect in the gun world but so far I love it.
I guess you got a good one then! I was looking at those when I was shopping for 22s and the reviews did put me off. If it'll shoot the cheap shit without a problem then I think you have a keeper!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #764
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistic_ken View Post
I've been years without a MkII, remedied that today.

Very cool.

I understand that the MKII is no longer in production and was replaced by the MKIII.

For those of you in the know, what are the pros and cons of each and it seems as though the MKII has somewhat of a cult following.

Which is better at what?

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #765
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Very cool.

I understand that the MKII is no longer in production and was replaced by the MKIII.

For those of you in the know, what are the pros and cons of each and it seems as though the MKII has somewhat of a cult following.

Which is better at what?
I am sure that some of the other more knowledgeable inmates will chime in here, I've never owned a Ruger .22 of any kind and am not real familiar with them other than having tried out guns belonging to friends/acquaintances a few times over the years. I suspect that accuracy is no different between the II and III, but what I am recalling is that the II is much easier to tear down for cleaning than the III, which is more intricate and complex. I'm not sure about any reliability differences. And there's also a tendency among gun guys to yearn for guns that are no longer being produced.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: